starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramjam05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have a 2005 ram 1500 xlt around 256000 miles
I made the error of putting in E15 gas and after that truck was acting up no power stalling low rpm etc.

I drained fuel as much as I could without dropping tank.
checked basics fuel pump working spark and air.
added good fuel new plugs map sensor Egr but now it cranks but will not start
any help woukd be great thanks

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One tank of E85, especially as you drained most of it, should not hurt your truck. Ethanol is the additive used to get water out of the gas tank. While there is a chance it was the last straw for some seal or something else susceptible to high ethanol exposure, it could be a coincidence. Have you checked your coil?

OP
OP
R

ramjam05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I replaced all the coils and plugs did a throttle position sensor and new egr still doesn't start

OP
OP
R

ramjam05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I'm going to double check gap on plugs

it was mentioned to remove fuel pump fuse and try to start? or a door lock fuse?
any suggestions ?

aviatorblackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How old is the pump? With a sudden crank, no start with everything else you mentioned you already replaced, it is probably the fuel pump. There are internal seals and parts the can break up. If that's the original pump, its almost certainly bad, the E85 could have just pushed it over the edge.

Try having someone bang on the pump as you try to start it. If it starts right up you need a new pump.

Let us know if that works.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
Even with all the high tech sensors and such that are on the newer vehicles, they still operate the same as they did back in the 50s.
Meaning, the engine has to get fuel and spark always. You can get an in-expensive frame mounted pump to verify fuel is getting to the engine and just use a lawnmower fuel tank. (testing purposes only) This will tell you what is and is not working. Alternatively - Even squirting gas into the throttle-body to get it to fire off will tell you if the coils and spark-plugs are working.

Process of elimination.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963