Starts & Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgbirky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
2000 2500 4x2 8.0L. Starts, runs about 10 second and dies. Every once in a while throws code 325. Unplug crank sensor, no start at all. Plug in again will start then die, did the same with cam sensor. Replaced fuel pump with same result. Communications with computer ok w/scan tool.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it just cut off like turning off the switch, or kind of smother out?

OP
OP
D

dgbirky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Just like the switch was turned off. I don't have remote keyless entry or any anti-theft. I even went so far as to hold the key in start, let it start while continue to hold the key, it fired up, ran about 10 seconds, shut down, and then fired up again after about 10 seconds of continuous cranking. Again, 2000 ram 2500 v10. About 220,000 miles on it. I've heard 1 tech talking about an issue with some Dodge vehicles where after some time the PCM for whatever reason starts looking for a theft code... concerns me a bit.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fact that it dies suddenly and then will fire up again after a similar amount of time makes me lean toward a relay or an auto cycling breaker. Just my gut feeling by your description. Sometimes when they are bad, they will pass voltage through them until they get hot, then lose connection. As soon as they cool off they will start to work again, and then immediately get hot and lose connection again. Basically doing the same thing that a turn signal flasher relay does, just more slowly. Try swapping relays around around and see if it starts to work.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, I just watched your video. I see that you are getting what looks like a red check engine light right before it dies. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge never goes up when the engine is running. I would check the connections at your oil pressure sensor, inspect and wiggle test the harness going to it. Could be shutting off to protect itself if it thinks there’s no oil pressure. I would still also check the relays, as the video makes it look like the power shuts off to the gauge cluster at the moment the engine dies, which could point back that direction.

PR1AWRet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The oil pressure is fine, it starts to climb just before it craps out. Change the CPS (crankshaft) with a Mopar one only. Not even a NAPA one is good.