static electricity and lint when removing polish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
While im correcting my paint on my black vehicle....when I remove the polish residue my microfiber towels leave lint. I assume its from static electricity from me rubbing it on the paint....Is there a simple way to prevent this? I tried spray detailer on the microfiber but while that helps some, it could be better. I use very high quality microfiber towels and wash them seperately by themselves with a nuetral detergent, and let them air dry as well. I considered buying some "static guard" spray used for clothing to see if that helps. Any advice is appreciated.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this same issue cleaning my windshield / windows.
Guess I can't really see the lint on my paint (it's white).

OP
OP
RAtmosphere

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
I do know that the more you wash microfiber, they lose their static electricity-ness somewhat, i dont dry them in the dryer I air dry them and wash them seperately in the wash. Its more of an irritant than anything....i still have to glaze and seal after I correct so right now its not such a big deal, just figured there was something I could do to help it.

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I read, using Car Eraser Pro has really good anti-static properties that should help and/or eliminate anything sticking to the panel you are working on.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Our Waterless Wash works very well at removing static.

Don't use any of those anti-static sprays, that will contaminate the towels and add a new host of problems to deal with.

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another idea when you are waxing your truck is to ground it. In the past, I have hooked a car battery up to a place on the car's frame to ground it while waxing, thus severely reducing the static charge you build up on the surface while spreading the wax around, and again when removing the residue.

OP
OP
RAtmosphere

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
All great ideas, but I have noticed the past couple washes ive washed them in cold, air dried, and they are getting better at NOT leaving lint....so hopefully with time they will improve. Ive also noticed its worse on days where the humidity is lower, which makes sense....

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Something else to think about, if not already, is the quality of Microfiber Towel you are using.

OP
OP
RAtmosphere

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
Very high quality....Im not cheap when it comes to ANYTHING on the dually....she's my baby and she only get THE BEST :)

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The reason I mentioned the towel thing, is because Premium Towels aren't supposed to lint. Typically if they do, it's because they are really old and have been washed too much. Also possible you got a few bad ones.