Static shock from seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cloth seats

I don’t know what it is about Rams, but when I get out and go to close the door, ZAP! Happens nearly every time in the winter/colder months. Not very often in warmer months.

just now I got gas and when I went to open the gas door...shocked. It is really starting to annoy me. I’ve had cars with cloth seats before and my wife’s wrangler has cloth and this never really happens.

anyone else experience this?

I’m gonna try some anti-static spray on the seats and see how that works

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the same shock every time. 09’ SLT with Cloth seats. Do we need a separate grounding strap on the seat or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
You can get grounding straps that hang under your vehicle and contact the ground. Helps with static shocks and also helps anyone that gets motion sickness

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Happens with lots of vehicles although I have experienced it more with cloth seats in general. It’s usually when humidity is low. Apparently when there’s more humid air it self discharges and we don’t feel it.

The technique I use when it starts happening is keep your hand in contact with the vehicle skin continuously as you exit. That keeps your body at the same electrical potential as the vehicle and the static charge discharges from your shoe when you step out and you won’t feel a thing.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get zapped too, but only when I wear a certain pair of shoes and socks. Odd.

When I get out, I touch my house key to the door so I don't get directly shocked.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I have issues with anything metal, depends on humidity, barometric pressure etc. Don't think it's only a Ram thing. I been zapped on a door knob at work so bad it felt like I put my hand in a electrical socket. Wife can touch same thing and no issues. I never nailed it down, could be type of clothes, mixed with the outdoor temps, pressure etc. Is always in winter when it happens to me on a cold dry day. Same thing if you wear socks and rub on carpet, then touch something, even a person.