steering issue too much play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
ive been reading up on this via google and this forums search. I have 3"-4" play before i actually steer left or right. so i was looking into a new steering box. Ive heard that the "new" ones sometimes you have to go through 2-4 of them before you find a good one. Has this been true for any of you?

has any one tried a Borgeson "Dodge Box"? and if so how does it compare?

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had mine replaced right after I bought it and I have to do it again.

OP
OP
refeicul

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
im just weary of the $677 price tag of the Borgeson box with new shaft or just getting a reman for 160

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did reman on my 96 from Rock Auto. It's been a year so far and no problems.
I don't do any offroading or aggressive driving(minus the zombie texting driver in front of me).

If you are gonna do some offroading or aggressive driving then you may want to go with a Borgeson box.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You can replace the dimestore doscount houe rebuilt box 5 times, or the Borgenson once.

Choose wisely. Remember your time is worth something.

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the Borgenson box you have to replace the intermediate shaft too right?

OP
OP
refeicul

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
With the Borgenson box you have to replace the intermediate shaft too right?

yes or you can grind it down to fit the oem shaft if my research is correct

however the store i was looking at has a limited lifetime warranty on the steering gear so im still between the two

OP
OP
refeicul

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
ya moneys tight. Just got laid off going to replace with a reman OE with tax return so its been put off since i can still drive it like this. Thanks a lot for all your help!

OP
OP
refeicul

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Ello all its been awhile but i got to tinkering around. steering box turned out to be good but the drag link end at the pitman arm was shot. Which pissed me off since this was the second one in a year.

So after that was replaced it was ok for a few weeks then the steering play happened again...:flipthebird: And has been like that since. I am under the impression that my track bar maybe loose or toast. As well as my control arm bushings need to be replaced. Both of which i am lead to believe could cause these issues. What do ya'll think of this theory?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Some of the weird issues with steering boxes I've found is people run the same power steering fluid for years and years till there is debris built up in the system causing wear to parts. Then the boxes don't seems to last as long. Plus larger tires tend to add stress to already limited steering box too. So if you got larger tires I would suggest the Red Head or Borgenson boxes. But before you do make sure to flush all the system out with fresh fluid before installing. Just makes for a way better install.