Steering Stabilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I finally had time to put the stabilizer under the 2500. I know my tires arent that big, not "off-roading" like lots of guys are but figured it was cheap insurance for the steering box just in case.

IMG_4530_zpsqx4rmreq.jpg

IMG_4528_zpsbniqmor5.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsfn18vaea.jpg

IMG_4521_zps86qgnxu4.jpg

IMG_4518_zpsprmabs9n.jpg

IMG_4517_zpsexjpjczy.jpg

IMG_4524_zpsdqprlzvr.jpg

IMG_4527_zps6xdvvoxe.jpg

IMG_4516_zpsxw7gb40a.jpg

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yep, cheap insurance. The steering boxes on our trucks have a reputation for premature wear so adding the brace is a good idea. With 14 inch wide tires, I'd figured it would be a good idea to add one.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Who's brace is that? I like it, didn't even know someone had one like that for these trucks yet!

OP
OP
S

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Who's brace is that? I like it, didn't even know someone had one like that for these trucks yet!

There are many different brands & styles of this device, and on many truck sites even mentioning these things will start a debate-war similar to the ones you see about what motor oil to use. After looking at them all, I decided on this one:

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
As long as it doesn't mount to both frame rails you're good. If the brace can flex with the box itself and not torque the sector shaft it'll live a long happy life.
This was a huge deal on he 2nd and 3rd gens. People were buying those $99 braces to 'stiffen' the frame but the steering box still failed lol

Edit: just looked at the pics on the link you posted. Your pics didn't look like it went to both frame rails. Be careful, for the reasons above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Edit: just looked at the pics on the link you posted. Your pics didn't look like it went to both frame rails. Be careful, for the reasons above.

I cant speak for other people, but Im not looking to stiffen the frame, only to keep the shaft coming out of the steering gear from moving away from its intended centerline. The pitman arm realizes excessive side-to-side load due to larger tires and the geometry of straight front axle linkage that transfers load to that shaft. All I want from a brace is to help keep the shaft centered and not being pushed side to side by the lever effect of the linkage.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I completely understand. I'm not saying they don't work. The frames are 100x stiffer on these trucks than the 2nd gens. But it looks great brother, clean install. And thanks for the link!

OP
OP
S

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I completely understand. I'm not saying they don't work. The frames are 100x stiffer on these trucks than the 2nd gens. But it looks great brother, clean install. And thanks for the link!

I cant say whether they will work personally, never used one before. But I do appreciate your input and feedback, everyone has something to bring to the table when discussing this kinda thing. I guess putting this on may be $100 snake oil, but I figured I would put it on there and just see what happens. Im not an off-roader making the linkage articulate all over the place, just use the truck towing trailers and regular farm/ranch type work.

If it turns out to be a problem you guys will be the first to find out ! :)

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am bring this back to life. looking for some updates after so long. are these worth the buying?

wetsquirrel

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am interested in hearing some updates also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990