Steering wheel controls work intermittantly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kind of embarrassed...made a stupid mistake. 2014 SLT Quad 4x4 5.7 Hemi.

Installed headers and disconnected the steering column (at the pinch bolt). Somehow, it went out of phase, and when I reconnected I got (I later found out, that is) a code indicating that the wheel was out by 360 degrees. But prior to that, I started up and forced (like an idiot) the steering wheel to the right and broke the clockspring. I had another one on hand and replaced it...but now my steering controls work only intermittantly when the wheel is turned...but not in the neutral position.

So...is there another part I broke? FYI, the harness was replaced upon 2015 recall.

Guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Embarassingly yours,

Maitai

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Bad clock spring, ie a dead spot in it. Not 100% sure on the RAM's clock spring but most other manufacturers have a set screw in it that gets removed once it is positioned.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SECOND the clock spring
had same problem, sometime worked, others not.
when not horn wouldnt work either.
fix was a new master switch in steering wheel and clock spring

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks flipper!

I JUST checked my horn - no go. I see a circular part that I believe is integrated but removable - do I need the WHOLE clockspring? I'll look for part numbers. Thanks again.