stock 3.55 vs 4.56 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
that sucks, i was thinkin it was goin to be a couple hundred to do the 4.56 swap. looks like its goin to be around a grand by the time i pay for the install kits for the front and rear plus the gear sets for front and rear

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Cost for parts is $695 shipped for front/rear gears and the front/rear install kits. It will be around $1000 after labor though if you take it to a shop to do the install.

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I'm trying to find a good source for the Motive front install kit because it is about $30 cheaper than the one I am offering. The Timken bearings in our kits are a better quality than what comes in the Motive kit, but I know it is hard to spend as much for the install kit as the gears themselves.

im familiar with timken, thats what we have used for years in the trucks. is it just worth it to get them? when u spend close to 200 is it a good idea to just get the timken for the extra 30? if i order the gears and install kits i think im just going to get them through moesperformance

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Cost for parts is $695 shipped for front/rear gears and the front/rear install kits. It will be around $1000 after labor though if you take it to a shop to do the install.

i could save a little i guess doing it myself, dont want to send it somewhere and pay someone to do somethin i can do myself, ya know?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I am also a big fan of Timken which is why they are the only install kit I have listed right now. There are guys that are just looking for a cheaper kit to get by, but like you said, if you are already spending $700 for a mod, that extra $30 for a better quality product is not much money.

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
yah, at least then u know your getting a good product and dont have to worry about tearing back into it later down the road and replacing something

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
are the 4.56 gears really that much more than the 3.55 power wise when it comes to takin off?

They are insane really. I can never ever punch it or I will peel out with both tires. If it is wet I tap it and burn. I can break them loose with stomp down at pretty much any speed wet or dry. I have nearly 35's. I love it having power to burn is great and when I tow stuff it will start moving just putting into gear no bog down just moves. To me it is the ideal gear I can still go 100 if I want but have the low end where trucks earn there keep. The 3.55's make the truck feel like it lacks power but the 4.56 make it sports car like. I can't see doing any other gear for these trucks but that is just my opinion.

Oh and as far as master kits go I would only do Timken and I would do both master kits don't risk reusing crap. I used koyo in the rear the first time but they were not as nice as the Timken I got in a Yukon kit. Even if you had only 10000 miles on truck I would do master kit it just makes sense.

Last edited:

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are insane really. I can never ever punch it or I will peel out with both tires. If it is wet I tap it and burn. I can break them loose with stomp down at pretty much any speed wet or dry. I have nearly 35's. I love it having power to burn is great and when I tow stuff it will start moving just putting into gear no bog down just moves. To me it is the ideal gear I can still go 100 if I want but have the low end where trucks earn there keep. The 3.55's make the truck feel like it lacks power but the 4.56 make it sports car like. I can't see doing any other gear for these trucks but that is just my opinion.

Oh and as far as master kits go I would only do Timken and I would do both master kits don't risk reusing crap. I used koyo in the rear the first time but they were not as nice as the Timken I got in a Yukon kit. Even if you had only 10000 miles on truck I would do master kit it just makes sense.

Its that bad even with the auburn? I can't imagine it with open diff...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah when I had it open diff for a month or so it was pretty bad. The one tire fire was annoying.

$miley

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum

is everything pretty much self explanatory when u tear everything apart? need any specialty tools for anything?

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Think I can do close to the same as far as performance and burning rubber with 3.92's and LSD? I know you have a lot more power then me, but I'm hoping these things will really wake my truck up!

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Think I can do close to the same as far as performance and burning rubber with 3.92's and LSD? I know you have a lot more power then me, but I'm hoping these things will really wake my truck up!

im hopein to get alot more performance gains with the gear swap. everyone is tellin me to go with the 4.56 with 33 in tires. i have the 4.7 also. hope the gear swap will help as much as everyone says!

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would highly recommend, unless you or a friend have a good deal of knowledge of differentials, to take it to a shop and let them do it. I'll do just about anything to my truck. The buck stops at transmission and differentials. Lol

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
not sayin that i can do it but its gotta be easier than putting a new diff and pinion it a kenworth rear end. i have quite a bit of experience with seals, bearings, and races on big trucks but like i said never done one on a pickup though. would it be that much different? or pretty much the same just on a smaller scale?

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably easier, just more precise. Everything needs to be perfect, ya know?

OP
OP
BLKDODGE04

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
yah probably just a good idea to have someone who knows what they're doing do it that way it gets done right the first time

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got that right. I've changed my diff fluids once and I can't imagine changing the entire ring pinion and lsd...

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Not trying to thread jack just quick question if I have a limited slip for getting 4.56's down the road. This is what my build sheet says..

DMH 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Does this mean I don't have to buy anything but gears and the install kit? Or no.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Correct. You already have a factory limited slip, so as long as it is not trashed, you will only need the gears and install kits.