Strange Rear ParkAssist Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RampantJourneys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Over the weekend, I finally got a chance to rinse off my new-to-me RAM that I purchased a few weeks back. I say "rinse off" as opposed to "washed," because it was really just a quick ten minutes with the power washer.

I about jumped out of my skin when I got home and went to put the truck in reverse. The rear park assist system went off chiming rapidly. The gauge cluster display went from showing that objects were detected behind me to then saying "Park Assist OFF", then back to showing objects behind me, and saying "Park Assist OFF." I tried to tap the manual Park Assist OFF toggle button on the center console, but it continued chiming away and switching between the display readouts.

By the time the next morning rolled around, the system quit acting up and seemed to return to normal.

I've never had this happen before. I'm wondering if spraying the truck down uncovered a loose connection or something. Is there a known trouble spot to start looking at with regards to this system?

Thanks in advance.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Over the weekend, I finally got a chance to rinse off my new-to-me RAM that I purchased a few weeks back. I say "rinse off" as opposed to "washed," because it was really just a quick ten minutes with the power washer.

I about jumped out of my skin when I got home and went to put the truck in reverse. The rear park assist system went off chiming rapidly. The gauge cluster display went from showing that objects were detected behind me to then saying "Park Assist OFF", then back to showing objects behind me, and saying "Park Assist OFF." I tried to tap the manual Park Assist OFF toggle button on the center console, but it continued chiming away and switching between the display readouts.

By the time the next morning rolled around, the system quit acting up and seemed to return to normal.

I've never had this happen before. I'm wondering if spraying the truck down uncovered a loose connection or something. Is there a known trouble spot to start looking at with regards to this system?

Thanks in advance.

I haven’t heard anything about issues with the park assist. I bet the connection just got some water in it then dried out by the next day.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
RampantJourneys

RampantJourneys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I haven’t heard anything about issues with the park assist. I bet the connection just got some water in it then dried out by the next day.

Ok. Yeah just wasn't sure if I need to be worried about the sensors or a computer control unit, or??? That type of thing.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gotten in the habit of blowing out the sensors with compressed air at the carwash, just not too close!