Stripped starter bolt holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine are both of them. Got the starter off, I have plenty of space to run a tap. I am going to use a M10x1.5, here is my question, what size bolt would I use once I run the tap through? As in size I mean pitch, thread or whatever because I sure as hell don’t know. This is not my cup of tea but it’s the only way that I will learn. I will not pay for a repair that I know I can do. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated or if you have a better idea let me hear it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They also have the ability to accelerate to the point of vaporization if you drop them in the engine compartment - all you hear is ding, clang, ding as they fall, p o o f never to be seen again.

Add a 10 and 13 mm socket to the list also.

hahaha I didn't know p o o f was offensive, I just get **** if spelling normally :)

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, I figured out my problem and it's all because of me. I did not put the proper bolts back in when I rebuilt the motor. According to the Dodge parts diagram I was supposed to use a stud (dodge 06035606) in the bottom hole, and I didn't. I should have it in my shop but if not, I have one on the way. Thats why it would tighten (snug) up but eventually works its way out. Hopefully when I put the proper stud back in, she will tighten up correctly and my "stripped out" theory will be all wrong.

:banghead:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are the actual threads stripped out or does the bolt keep backing out?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
well, I figured out my problem and it's all because of me. I did not put the proper bolts back in when I rebuilt the motor. According to the Dodge parts diagram I was supposed to use a stud (dodge 06035606) in the bottom hole, and I didn't. I should have it in my shop but if not, I have one on the way. Thats why it would tighten (snug) up but eventually works its way out. Hopefully when I put the proper stud back in, she will tighten up correctly and my "stripped out" theory will be all wrong.

:banghead:
That why you put the bolts or studs with the starter when pulling stuff apart.
Know of case where all the bolts from a rear end bearing on a tractor ( 100.oo) in parts , ended up costing 8000.oo because all the bolts where tossed in a pail, than wrong one, longer cracked the rear end cast when that was tighten down That was parts cost, no labour (4 days)

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1/2" SAE wrench
#10 metric wrench
5.5 allen wrench

all seem to have wings

i lose 10 mm sockets so much i bought a dozen off amazon.anyone with a side by side/atv knows exactly what i'm talking about.
Those pesky little 10mm sockets have legs around my garage too....and the wife isnt any better when it comes to my wrenches up on the wall for her household endeavors...
Im always yellin"wheres the 1/2 ,3/8 wrench?"