Stripping chrome off wheel covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I picked up a set of OEM Laramie 20s for free.50. I want to install them, but the finish on the chrome isn't so hot in some spots. I've got 2 different ideas I'm toying with. Either strip the chrome off the covers, and paint them, starting with a plastic primer to promote adhesion. Or remove the covers and hope the glue cleans up underneath the covers. Leaning towards option 1. My question is this, can the chrome be removed using oven cleaner or a heavy duty degreaser? I feel like getting all the chrome off would lend itself to better results with paint.
Or, if anyone has removed the covers from the Laramie wheels, how bad was it getting all the glue off? I've heard some stories and it seems like it's not worth heading down that path.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Rims underneath are not fully finished so will look like crap just painting them. Another option you didn't mention was to get some replacement covers. They have them in Chrome and pre-painted. Check out ebay for them. There are also a bunch of YouTube videos on how to remove the covers. If it were me, I would just scuff up the existing covers and paint right over the chrome, will be just fine.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, what ^^ said about leaving the chrome clad covers on.
scuff them up with some fine sandpaper, clean them with soap/water and rinse thoroughly. Then prep all surfaces with a cloth soaked in alcohol to ensure a super clean area, let dry and then paint.

Plasti-Dip works wonders! Have you considered this product? (rattle can, or you can thin it down a tad and shoot it with a paint gun and compressor, they do have it in cans too for dipping and brush applications, but I don't recommend that for a nice finish on the rims).

I was involved in several LX/LC works with this product on the body and rims.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Look up "declad wheel GM truck" and there's a ton of threads about doing exactly what you're talking about. It's super common in the 99-07 GM truck world. Not an easy process but so many cladded wheels look 10x better without the cover.

Did a quick search for "declad wheel Dodge truck" and a few guys have done that as well, although what I found actually looked better with the cladding.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Rims underneath are not fully finished so will look like crap just painting them. Another option you didn't mention was to get some replacement covers. They have them in Chrome and pre-painted. Check out ebay for them. There are also a bunch of YouTube videos on how to remove the covers. If it were me, I would just scuff up the existing covers and paint right over the chrome, will be just fine.
Try PlastiDip first

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The covers I found that fit the Laramie rims are almost $200 a piece and they're all chrome. Unless someone knows a place that sells the covers cheaper.
These are the wheels I picked up.
Screenshot_20230329-012645.png

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
you couldn't give me a pot of gold to try and remove the covers off those wheels. BEYOND a p.i.t.a. and at the end they come out FUB@R anyway.

if you want to see how they look "painted"?? then try getting a can of Plasti Dip and spraying them with it. search yourself for some YouTube videos out there on the subject.
:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you couldn't give me a pot of gold to try and remove the covers off those wheels. BEYOND a p.i.t.a. and at the end they come out ***** anyway.

if you want to see how they look "painted"?? then try getting a can of Plasti Dip and spraying them with it. search yourself for some YouTube videos out there on the subject.
:cheers:
Plan is to paint them. I've seen some posts about them being a pain. My question was whether or not it's possible to strip the chrome off the plastic.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you mess them up or want a spare, here’s a “wheel skin” basically hubcap.
If painting, try plastidip. I’ve used it for several projects. Easy to remove if desired.
E779BC07-E15F-4811-975E-6F5307704B9C.jpeg

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
Plan is to paint them. I've seen some posts about them being a pain. My question was whether or not it's possible to strip the chrome off the plastic.
I can't say I've seen anyone take/completely remove the chrome off the covers. I can't imagine that could be something you could do without ruining that plastic?!? I still think you're underestimating the power of the Plasti Dip.

but definitely prep and paint as they are gets my vote.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you do remove the chrome clad cover from your stock wheels

You can install Wheel Skins on some wheels, it is a lot like a hub cap

In this video, he is removing a wheel skin, to install a different color

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
would this wheel ever balance again
I would guess that the nuts & bolts in his bins are cleaned & buffed out

14ramdjh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i thought they were plastic over steel wheels like hub caps

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Interested to see what comes of this. I too have the chrome clads in the pics on this thread. I forgot to clean the wheels last time I removed them (they are my winter set) and the brake dust over 6 months destroyed them. I've heard the clads are glued on pretty good and I was thinking of scuff/strip and paint. I hate chrome and the rest of my truck will be dechromed by this summer.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
It is NOT hard to pop the covers off these wheels. I sell GEN 4 RAM wheels and have popped many covers off before I scrapped the bad ones. However it is MUCH easier if two people do it after the rim has been sitting in the sun some. Just take a pry bar stick it in one of the lug bolt holes and work it up. Once it starts coming up have a friend start pulling the cover up and it pops right off. We did 15 in under 10 minutes. However in your case I would do as stated before and sand and paint them. That glue will require a drill with a wire brush and a lot more time than sanding and painting.

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had scratched my chrome cladding, priced a new and used wheel assy, Found a local guy selling a complete set of wheels for $150.. 20 X 9 they were dirty but bought them anyway. cleaned them up and used one, now I have 3 spare wheels for less that the price of one.......deals are out there !!!