Struck the motherload today... Code reader jackpot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Well, after storing my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 for the past three years while helping my Father through a terminal illness, I just returned to the state to find a check engine light on and the truck in limp mode.

The generic engine light is 0700 but I really hit the jackpot with the Bosch code reader. 22 codes!!!

Can I get a WTF!?!?

P0841 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch A Circuit Ranger/Performance
P0846 " "B" "
P0876 " "D" "
P0988 " "E" "
P0888 TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit
P0841 Low and Reverse Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit
P0846 (not sure why some of these numbers are the same but code reads differently) 2C Pressure Switch Circuit
P0871 Overdrive Hydraulic Pressure Switch Circuit
P0988 4C Pressure Switch Circuit
P0876 Underdrive Pressure Switch Circuit
P0888 Transmission Relay Circuit
10 Warning Lamp Circuit Short
21 Right Front Sensor Circuit Malfunction
96 Over/ Under Voltage
65 Power relay open
67 Motor Circuit Malfunction

The other 6 were repeats.

So, aside from thinking I need to unplug every connector, clean and lube them, what do you think we're looking at here? I'm befuddled.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd clear them, make sure battery is ok and charging properly.
See if any codes come back.

Low voltage when cranking/bad cell in battery/loose leads etc can cause all sorts of strange codes.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Most of those are cascading errors. Like someone already mentioned. Clear the codes and go from there with a new baseline.

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
I cleared the codes and drove for a few cycles. Seemed it only wanted to show 13 the second time but I'm going to cross my fingers and swap the battery. This one has been sitting on a battery tender for 3 years.

Mice? Yes, definitely another possibility (I'm fairly certain Dodge uses chocolate for their wire sheathing). They or squirrels were pulling out pieces of engine insulation before I got it but I thought the box of mothballs strategically spread around the truck would deter future pests... We'll see. Thanks for the batt suggestion. I'll be back to let you know if it helped.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One more item to check. That many cascading codes may indicate a loose, dirty or corroded connection to the computer. Unplug that and check it.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
The bad thing about moth balls is when you start that puppy you are really gonna smell when they get hot from the engine.Not good to breathe too.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm second on the mice thing. From personal experience, first crawl from one end to the other looking at all the harnesses. Especially the ones going to the tranny with all those codes relating to that.

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
I cleaned the battery terminals...no change, though I noticed a loud buzzing sound from the transmission at idle. It was probably there the first time I took it out of storage but I was in the truck. seems to be coming from the bell housing. It buzzes in Park and Neutral but not in R, D, 1, 2.

Anyone know what bad solenoids or torque converter sounds like?

Last edited:

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Solenoid noise is usually caused by low voltage more correctly low amperage. It can make them hum or chatter.
If they are open or shorted out they Normally don't make noise. Bad ground can also caused the low amperage problems.

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Well, no signs of mouse activity but I do have some news.

Front end of the truck is on ramps and the transmission fluid has been drained. I started the truck today just to see if it still buzzed but it doesn't.

So what would buzz with fluid and no without? Or, what would not be moving without fluid? I assume the pump or torque converter would still make noise... anyone have an answer?

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Buzzing can be caused by moving fluid. Especially if the oil level is low- this allows the pump to suck air and fluid. Almost all pumps will create some noise, gear pumps and piston pumps are some of the noisier pumps. The gearator style pumps are some of the quieter- trany pumps. I think I saw some write ups on this website talking about transmission lines making noise, don't remember which years they were talking about.

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Well, with the help of TransEngineer from RamForumz, I saved myself a tow today.

With the tranny reassembled to go over wiring again, I tried to drive it and it wouldnt go into any gear. It would grind something terrible going from R to Park. He informed me it that the output shaft was moving so that meant either the transfer case or rear axle had failed... or, the transfer case was just in Neutral. You guessed it.

As for the limp mode, that's gone too. I went into the fuse box while I had the pan off and noticed something peculiar. There was NO TRANSMISSION RELAY! The slot was empty!
The port was clean, unlike the spare ports so all I can think is that someone lifted it out sometime in the three years it was in storage. It's on family property so perhaps someone borrowed it but damn... not a funny joke.