Stubby Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve tried 2 brands of 50cal bullet stubby antennas and they all look good but suck for regular radio reception.

This black one came with a small mast to raise it up 8” but it looks terrible with it.

AFE19A78-A681-4EE0-9ED4-E6CCF4C729B7.jpeg

rickaysen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your location will probably affect reception. I replaced my 2018 antenna with a stubby and I notice no difference here in Las Vegas. Maybe out in the sticks it's different. Only time I tune to FM though is when I pull into a parking deck and loose satellite.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a shorty on my truck when I bought it. Reception sucked. Good thing the stock one was under the back seat.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
This is the one to get. I get great reception everywhere (i travel a lot) and it looks cool.

Ram Pickup Ultra High End
THE ORIGINAL 6 3/4 " Rubber Antenna Mast

https://www.theantennasource.com/DODGE/RAM PICKUP/2009-2019 Ram 1500.html#1C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So, this is the one. I'm a little skeptical since I bought one of the black aluminum "Original Stubby" antennas from Craven Speed and it had essentially no radio reception at all. I'm tempted to take a chance on the one you recommend but I don't want to waste another $25 if it doesn't work.

Has anyone else had experience with this antenna from Antenna Source?

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read a handful of post about the stubby and don't want to clog the threads with another. But I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Stubby or if there is another brand/type you like? Or is there some cooler types that express more than your basic black short antenna?
Got my shorty antenna from Pep Boys, $12.95. It is 9 1/2: tall and is rubberized. Works wonderfully well. However others like them also, have had to replace it twice. But replaced them, I do like them a lot !!!!!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve tried 2 brands of 50cal bullet stubby antennas and they all look good but suck for regular radio reception.

This black one came with a small mast to raise it up 8” but it looks terrible with it.

View attachment 166691
I think it looks pretty good, especially compared to stock--this picture shows mine--vms racing 9" -works great for 20kms or so--mine is color matched so its hard to see-but thats the whole point to me.DSC00560.JPG

John Sparano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi6.1
I am in the car audio business.There is no way to replace your 31 inch steel mast with a stubby and get radio reception.They are strictly for looks.The cars you see with short roof mount antennas have a signal amplifier in the base.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am in the car audio business.There is no way to replace your 31 inch steel mast with a stubby and get radio reception.They are strictly for looks.The cars you see with short roof mount antennas have a signal amplifier in the base.
Well then you are sadly mistaken--Ive use 2-3-4-5" stubbies that worked progressively better as the height increased. I found the 9" worked very well-I would have bought the 13" for even better signal,but it wasnt red dark red to match my truck. If I installed a signal amplifier, then even the 2" stubby would suffice. And I know car radios too!!

TheAntennaSource

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, this is the one. I'm a little skeptical since I bought one of the black aluminum "Original Stubby" antennas from Craven Speed and it had essentially no radio reception at all. I'm tempted to take a chance on the one you recommend but I don't want to waste another $25 if it doesn't work.

Hello,

Years ago I signed our company up for an account here and have not had the time to fully invest to be useful. We have a small crew, my apologies! We still get emails periodically from the forum on subjects and saw there is antenna conversation along with our name mentioned, so I had to post and introduce. We are a family run operation in Manitowoc, Wi that specializes in AM/FM antennas. We have been doing so since 1999. If one has any questions feel free to send an email my way.

Zach

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Check the video comparison I posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nedap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's the same one I installed on Mine and the reception is as good as the OEM.

Same one i initially bought as well, reception was marginal and you could definitely tell the difference in clarity. Went to replace it and it had frozen in place, ruined it getting off.

mikes18ramsport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Antennamastsrus is what I bought after some failed purchases. It’s 6 3/4 and $25 on Amazon. It actually works, looks better and gets every channel the stock one had. Highly recommend.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with a Rydonair 13" antenna to replace the giant whip. Looks great and gets just as good reception (for my location anyway - 45mins north of Houston)
b2a6ab2b5fd8e6d9ba40c3a9bbff42a8.jpg1a5a31ab6dcf8201384a49a6b3aaf1d4.jpg

I dont like antennas to be too short - the super small ones just don't look right to me.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

Years ago I signed our company up for an account here and have not had the time to fully invest to be useful. We have a small crew, my apologies! We still get emails periodically from the forum on subjects and saw there is antenna conversation along with our name mentioned, so I had to post and introduce. We are a family run operation in Manitowoc, Wi that specializes in AM/FM antennas. We have been doing so since 1999. If one has any questions feel free to send an email my way.

Zach

Glad to find this post. Found you guys on Amazon, and just ordered one from you. Looking forward to getting it!

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't stand the chatter and commercials on the radio and I am not gonna pay for satellite radio so I can listen to their commercials either.
There are no commercials on the music channels.

I listen to SXM radio or something through my phone (itunes or pandora) exclusively. I don't even think my trucks radio has ever been on FM except for a couple of times I accidentally hit the button. I bought one of those cheap 6" stubby antennas from the local auto parts store. It looks a ton better, and as mentioned I don't care about reception. Only problem is that it whistles at freeway speed. Some days it's worse than others. It finally broke from the drive through car wash, so I just replaced it with another one. I haven't noticed any whistling from the new one yet. For $9, if I get a year out of it before it breaks again, I'm good with that.