Sub/Amp Combo...What y'all think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright gents, I'm not very audio savvy by any means. All I know is that Im looking to get a sub and an amp, running off my factory head unit (for now). I know I need a LOC for factory radio to run amp/sub, but this is the combo I'm currently looking at...

Kenwood KAC-6104D
◦4 ohms: 200 watts x 1 chan.
◦2 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan.

Kicker CVR104 10" Dual 4 ohm
◦Peak: 800 watts
◦RMS: 400 watts

Is this any good or is it just garbage? Any help is appreciated.

Oh, btw....Ill be running it from under the seat of my 2007 crew cab in a ebay, ram specific sealed box.

Im just looking for something with some deep bass, with some punchiness....without breaking the bank. I don't want to thump my mirrors off, just something that sounds good hanging out with friends, and while riding around.

Thanks guys,
J

enerside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful of those premade boxes, many of them are very small and not enough volume to sound good. For the kicker, you will want 1-2 cu ft and don't forget to account for the displacement of the sub. I started off with a 10 kicker in one of those boxes and was very disappointed. Sub/amp you picked will sound good in the right box.

OP
OP
J

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, 1-2 cuft?! The box Im looking at is .69

DAMN!

OP
OP
J

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also....whats the difference with 2 or 4 ohm subs? What exactly does that mean, and which one am I better off with?

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
For the amp your going to run I would say get the 4 ohm sub. It will sound better. Thats what mine is and with the amp I have My 10" sub sounds great!!
The amp is designed to make its power into 2 ohms. there is absolutely no reason to use a 4 ohm sub unless you like only getting 1/2 the power your amp is capable of making. He needs a 2 ohm or dual 4 sub

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Also....whats the difference with 2 or 4 ohm subs? What exactly does that mean, and which one am I better off with?
Ohms is a measurement of electrical resistance. If your amp makes its power into 2 ohms, you want to use a 2 ohm sub or a dual 4 sub, which can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms

enerside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the box is .69 cu ft, you may want to use some polyfill in attempt to "trick" the sub into thinking the box is bigger. You aren't too far off in space though, Kicker recommends a min of .80 for a compact enclosure for that sub.

Reaction score
Born,raised and currently reside in eastern Ohio
Ram Year
1999 quad cab sport 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum=360CI
If the box is .69 cu ft, you may want to use some polyfill in attempt to "trick" the sub into thinking the box is bigger. You aren't too far off in space though, Kicker recommends a min of .80 for a compact enclosure for that sub.

I agree!!!The min airspace requirements is very close to the OP's enclosure volume...Polyfill should do the trick...As far as speaker load versus amp load...Just wire each 4ohm voice coil + to + an to the +(red( on the terminal cup..Same thing for the - on both voice coils to the -(black( on terminal cup...Then wire red from the enclosure to the + on the amp..And the black to the - on the amp..This with the poly fill should work well with the airspace,subwoofer and amp your wanting to use.....

OP
OP
J

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ohms is a measurement of electrical resistance. If your amp makes its power into 2 ohms, you want to use a 2 ohm sub or a dual 4 sub, which can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms

Cool, thanks! I'm not looking to run dual subs....just the one 10". So, then instead of the original sub I mentioned, I should be beeter off with Kicker's CVR102 2 ohm?

OP
OP
J

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Polyfill huh? I'll look into that. Thanks.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Cool, thanks! I'm not looking to run dual subs....just the one 10". So, then instead of the original sub I mentioned, I should be beeter off with Kicker's CVR102 2 ohm?
no, the sub you linked would be good. its a dual 4 ohm, so wiring both coils in paralell will present your amp with a 2 ohm load

Last edited:

deuceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
the setup sould sound good but with the subs and amps and speakers you want to read the power by rms say its a 1000 watt sub max but is only 500 watt rms thats thje true power and with the box youre gonna wanna know the depth of the sub and the depth of the box because alot of truck boxed use a shallow mount subwoofer that will fit the box

deuceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
you maynot need a really shallow mount sub but one a lil shorter would probably be needed

OP
OP
J

Jarhead0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought about Jl 10" sub? This is what I have and love it!!

JL Audio 10W1v2-4 W1v2 Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I haven't thought about to many sub/amp combos, mainly because I dont know to much about all the specificity surrounding it all.

Basically, all I really know is that Im looking for a single 10" sub under back seat, with compatable amp to power it....other than that, I dont know to much about ohms, RMS, compatability, etc.....thats why I came to the experts...YOU ALL!!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

enerside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amp is the same one that I'm running. A good thing about Kicker amps is they always bench test with a much higher output than rated. The certificate that came with mine showed a RMS output closer to 500 watts.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
For the amp your going to run I would say get the 4 ohm sub. It will sound better. Thats what mine is and with the amp I have My 10" sub sounds great!!

The amp is designed to make its power into 2 ohms. there is absolutely no reason to use a 4 ohm sub unless you like only getting 1/2 the power your amp is capable of making. He needs a 2 ohm or dual 4 sub

Scott was correct, CVR's only come in DVC .

So a 4 ohm is needed.

For the final choice, the amp and CVR 10" is perfect, add 50% polyfill to box.