Suggestions on looking for a used RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yea I have looked at CarMax extensively and to find everything I want in my area is proving difficult. (Big Horn, 5.7 hemi, Heated wheel/seats, front bucket seats, 8.4 uconnect) Even out of my area it seems that CarMax buys a lot of V6 trucks and then they want 29k for a V8 with 40k miles. It seems high to me and especially with their non negotiable prices
dang, and I was considering selling mine for$30K, and it has 24k miles.

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I was in the buying process myself last August. I ended up getting a pretty good deal at 25k on my 14 Big Horn Crew Cab with the 5.7. It has the 8.4" touch screen as well as remote start, backup cam etc.

Had a buddy that bought a 15 Laramie a couple months after he saw mine. While the interior is superior, I like mine just fine. Both trucks had the same miles, he basically paid an extra $9000 for leather seats and a few extra heating options. I didn't want leather because it's rough in the Minnesota winters. Some guys like the nicer interior but I didn't need anything too fancy.

As far a search options, I ended up using cargurus A LOT. It was super helpful and seemed to have more of the options I was looking for in the area. Good luck!

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the buying process myself last August. I ended up getting a pretty good deal at 25k on my 14 Big Horn Crew Cab with the 5.7. It has the 8.4" touch screen as well as remote start, backup cam etc.

Had a buddy that bought a 15 Laramie a couple months after he saw mine. While the interior is superior, I like mine just fine. Both trucks had the same miles, he basically paid an extra $9000 for leather seats and a few extra heating options. I didn't want leather because it's rough in the Minnesota winters. Some guys like the nicer interior but I didn't need anything too fancy.

As far a search options, I ended up using cargurus A LOT. It was super helpful and seemed to have more of the options I was looking for in the area. Good luck!
Everyones different. The difficult thing is finding a higher trim if you dont like leather lol which is nice Ram does add higher trim options to lower models so you can really customize it. I second Cargurus, theyre the best! I never bought anything I found on there, but it really gives insight as to pricing and what you should be paying

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Carmax is always an option. That’s where I bought mine from. 2016 BigHorn with 28K miles and some good features for just over 25K

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It comes down to equipment. There is a lot of variation in the Big Horn in terms of equipment. I own a 2015, purchased with 21k.

Factory leather, factory roof and a bunch of other options. I have seen Laramie’s with less equipment than my Big Horn, so if you are looking at Pre-owned it comes down to the individual vehicle. No need to rush, wait for the right one...there’s plenty of them out there.

Depending on need, recommend Crew Cab, NO bench seat upfront and large display in the console.

I love Laramies but found a Big Horn with a great equipment package.

Also recommend you purchase from RAM dealer and negotiate on extended warranty...you may even have an opportunity to purchase Lifetime warranty depending on the specific vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There are a lot more differences than just heated leather seats between big horn and Laramie. I started making a list but it was too long lol

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, if you’re still looking I’ve got a really nice ‘14 Laramie.........PM me. I’m up in the Atlanta area, got some family in Jacksonville.

Ramjet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2016 1500 Tradesman from Carvana last October. It has a Hemi and only had 8,000 miles. $20,500. No pesky salesman to deal with trying to line their pockets. All done on the net. Stress free.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Buy new better discounts easier for finances
Just my .02

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
There are some good deals on cargurus try there.