Superchips?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay so i have came down to deciding what tuner would be best for my truck. I just want to know from other experiences and the differences between them and which is better for me to get. The 3865 Flashpaq, The 3842 Flashpaq, Or The Cortex.?? Hmmm let me know what yall think from personal experiences would really appreciate it thank you ! :superhack:

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
what kind of future mods are you thinking of doing? if you stay mild and just do bolt-ons superchips is about the best tuner you can get. I had one way back when they first came out for our 05's. I'm partial to the flashpaq's but they all pretty much will do the same thing.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the SuperChips CORTEX 3950 tuner, works very well on my mildly modded 5.7 HEMI powered truck. I use the 91 Octane tune with 93 octane fuel, and I have programed the shift points for much better performance.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3865 an cortex have the same tunes an capabilities. Not sure about the 3842 but it's prob not far off if any, you being an 05 if you get into heavier mods I would just stick with Diablo or HPTUNERS

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I posted this question in a thread over on DT, haven't gotten a response and since this thread came up here, I figured I'd repost my question:

Flashpaq or Cortex? Which would be more bang for the buck? They look basically the same feature wise.

What's the cutoff for the trans tuning capabilities? My truck's build date is 9/2003 and is registered as a 2004. Just wondering if I will have the trans tuning capability or not.

I'm trying to decide between the Superchips and a DiabloSport InTune. I have read about the 2004 needing the stack tunes, starting with the SC tune to get the trans tuning and then going with the Diablo/Hemifever tune for the actual tuning. Just trying to understand what is going to be needed. I'd like better shifting but I'm not going to sit around and play with it much. Once I find what I'm happy with, I won't play with it any longer.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I posted this question in a thread over on DT, haven't gotten a response and since this thread came up here, I figured I'd repost my question:

Flashpaq or Cortex? Which would be more bang for the buck? They look basically the same feature wise.

What's the cutoff for the trans tuning capabilities? My truck's build date is 9/2003 and is registered as a 2004. Just wondering if I will have the trans tuning capability or not.

I'm trying to decide between the Superchips and a DiabloSport InTune. I have read about the 2004 needing the stack tunes, starting with the SC tune to get the trans tuning and then going with the Diablo/Hemifever tune for the actual tuning. Just trying to understand what is going to be needed. I'd like better shifting but I'm not going to sit around and play with it much. Once I find what I'm happy with, I won't play with it any longer.

Mine is a 9/03 build as well, I have the 3865 flashpaq. That's the one you want, cheaper/ all the features as cortex, trans tuning which makes a big difference. I have a comp 260, longtubes w/ no cats an am running just on the sc canned tune. My truck could really use a custom tune, but it runs pretty good for just using the sc. If you want custom tuning 3865/dsp is the combo of tuners you want

Xtremewlr well need to start an 04 thread one day since now 03s get so much love an 05-up have better tuning options, people forgetting the 04s! LOL

Last edited:

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, I had forgotten that I have an old 3815 sitting around that I had never used because it was locked. I just took the time to update and unlock it so I will use that for now. I know it's dated and doesn't have all the features of the newer tuners but it's good enough for now. Time to go play!

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
87 octane tune installed. Seems to be working good. So far I like the change in shift points. Still wondering about changing the rev limit and making further changes to the shift points. Seems to be tuneable to a degree, meaning I can adjust the RPM at which the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are made. Not sure how much I want to play around with them yet. Still need to set the proper tire size as I forgot to grab a tape measure when I was doing it.

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the Cortex 3950 for my 2007 4.7 and it so far has been a great tuner. Obviously not the most powerful engine these trucks have ever seen, but with the tuner I've put it on the 91 octane performance tune with 93 octane gas as well as gotten the transmission upgrade and set my shift points it honestly feels like a different truck. The gear shifting is so direct, it feels great. I've even gotten better gas mileage from having that tune, still a trucks gas mileage though. If you do go with a cortex and mess around with the shift points and torque conversion and whatnot, if you don't already know about it make sure you do your homework on it.

Also, completely off topic, you have a really good looking truck. Love the stance and the color. Is that a new body style tailgate on it?

Last edited:

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also, completely off topic, you have a really good looking truck. Love the stance and the color. Is that a new body style tailgate on it?

Thanks. Just an 06 tailgate cap on the stock 04 tailgate.

OP
OP
Chewy676

Chewy676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got the Cortex 3950 for my 2007 4.7 and it so far has been a great tuner. Obviously not the most powerful engine these trucks have ever seen, but with the tuner I've put it on the 91 octane performance tune with 93 octane gas as well as gotten the transmission upgrade and set my shift points it honestly feels like a different truck. The gear shifting is so direct, it feels great. I've even gotten better gas mileage from having that tune, still a trucks gas mileage though. If you do go with a cortex and mess around with the shift points and torque conversion and whatnot, if you don't already know about it make sure you do your homework on it.

Thanks ! :favorites13: & Yes i have a 2012 tailgate on it