Superwrap DIY Aerosol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was looking for a change and figured I’d try spraying the rims black but didn’t want the dull finish Plastidip has so I gave Superwrap a try.

First one is just their gloss black, 9 coats.
Second one is with two additional clear gloss coats.

So far I’m pleased.

9BCD80A5-B5A4-462D-8AFF-9F14CF920EAA.jpeg

AE84282D-2FEF-4CC5-A2EC-29992FF6A7B0.jpeg

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What else you planning on spraying? Looks like it came out pretty good. Going to try the onxy black to do my mirrors might even redo the grill since it looks close to the brilliant black crystal pearl coat.

upload_2019-2-28_18-7-37.png

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What else you planning on spraying? Looks like it came out pretty good. Going to try the onxy black to do my mirrors might even redo the grill since it looks close to the brilliant black crystal pearl coat.

View attachment 157107
Mirrors are my next project and I’ll probably take them off to get the best result. Temps are critical using this product and truth be told I like the gloss more than the gloss with clear over it. I might try the door handles as well but I’m not sure how they would hold up to constant use? Everything else on my truck is already blacked out. I might do the chrome emblems sitting in my toolbox and try to sell them?

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea I was going to wait until it gets warmer out to do mine. Dont really feel like freezing out there.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I love it. I'd like to see how they hold up after a few months.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks great. doesn't seem to have the 'orange peel' effect of plastidip

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Mirrors are my next project and I’ll probably take them off to get the best result. Temps are critical using this product and truth be told I like the gloss more than the gloss with clear over it. I might try the door handles as well but I’m not sure how they would hold up to constant use? Everything else on my truck is already blacked out. I might do the chrome emblems sitting in my toolbox and try to sell them?

I was thinking the same thing from the pictures

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looks great. doesn't seem to have the 'orange peel' effect of plastidip
That’s what caught my attention. The gloss if sprayed properly with warm temps looks like glass. I think the clear at least the two rims that I did use the clear on came out a little bit less glossy, could’ve been me not holding the can close enough? They clean up easy as can be.. That was the negative on PD along with not having a glossy finish.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
How many cans did you need?

And did you do gloss black base coats? They recommend multiple gloss base coats before onyx black.

Last edited:
OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many cans did you need?

And did you do gloss black base coats? They recommend multiple gloss base coats before onyx black.
I bought the 20” wheel kit from Superwrap and used the gloss black base coat. I took the rims off the truck and heated my garage to about 75. I also heated the wheels up as well. I heated the cans in hot water for 20 minutes before spraying. My kit came with 7 cans of gloss black, 1 spray prep and 1 spray clear. I sprayed 9 coats on all the wheels and two of them I added 2 coats of the clear to. I kept them in the garage heated for 24 hours after.

The more layers you put down the better your results will be. Also pay close attention to how far away you spray, more than 12” will give you a more satin finish, closer in will give that high gloss finish. All your coats should be light and wet but enough to cover except the first which is basically a dusting. Lower than 60 degrees could give you a matte or flat finish. I only ended up with one run but this stuff flashes out and is fairly self leveling.

Good luck if you try it.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look real nice now. Some Amazon reviews aren't very good. Good luck.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
That looks great! just what i didnt like about plasti-dip, made better!

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
They look real nice now. Some Amazon reviews aren't very good. Good luck.

I only found one or two negative reviews. One about it taking the clear off of the wheels and being hard to remove, and another that it smelled bad :confused:

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only found one or two negative reviews. One about it taking the clear off of the wheels and being hard to remove, and another that it smelled bad :confused:
I will say that the fumes are strong and you really need to ventilate well while spraying indoors. I wore a filtered respirator for most of the spraying. The fumes lingered even a few days after but I didn’t spray down the floor until a few days later.

As far as longevity goes, Superwrap claims two years if applied correctly and I’m not aware of anything I did or didn’t do according to their instructions. If this stuff fails I will update this post ASAP.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
How's this holding up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far they’ve held up perfectly. One has a rock chip but other than that they still look like new. I’ll put a few more photos up once the storms go by and they get cleaned.

DE8E5D36-FFF8-4A52-9B89-C034EC0C700F.jpeg

C1781980-478C-46F9-8E00-6C6928BFF9A9.jpeg