Suspension guys,..........a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '16 Ram Sport 4X4, rcsb truck. I noticed awhile ago that I started getting some creaking in the rear of the truck at slow speeds. My mechanic looked at it and said the bushings need to be replaced, but I didn't want to spend the money on it, so he just took off the swaybar bushings and lubed them up. It did quiet them up some, but it still makes some noise. I know there are other bushings that need to be replaced as well.
I don't really notice any creaking on days when there is moisture. Mostly when it is dry out and no moisture in the air, I notice it a lot. Only at slow speeds. What do you guys think? Could it be the bushings and anything else? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :cheers:

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess nobody,............?!?!!?
lol :cheers:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The fact that when the mechanic lubed them up quited the bushings, leads me to believe he found your issue.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are four control arms, which have bushings at each end...there's a panhard bar which has bushings at each end, the sway bar has bushings and then the sway bar links have bushings.. the shocks have bushings at both ends.

Can you get it to squeak by sitting on the tailgate? If so, get a buddy (bigger the better) to bounce around up there while you listen under the truck. You'll pinpoint it fast enough.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 14 RCSB 4x2 squeaks every drive. I have core 4x4 control arms and they have grease fittings, which I lube every oil change. The culprit i have found is the swaybar bushings, not the end link bushings. If you have anything but rubber, they squeak regardless of grease or no grease. I've had mine out several times, lubed them with different types of grease and eventually they still squeak. I'm considering going back to rubber and away from polyurethane.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to believe they need replacing already. Have you looked them over? Regardless, a few light daubs of brake fluid on them will stop rubber bushings from squeaking. Brake fluid sort of attacks and expands rubber. Just dip a cheap paint brush in a bit of fluid (heck even out of your trucks brake fluid reservoir if the brush is clean) ...and a couple light daubs on the rear stabilizer bushings (don't paint them all wet ...just apply a light amount) is all it takes. Let the fluid do the work over a day or two.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
My 14 RCSB 4x2 squeaks every drive. I have core 4x4 control arms and they have grease fittings, which I lube every oil change. The culprit i have found is the swaybar bushings, not the end link bushings. If you have anything but rubber, they squeak regardless of grease or no grease. I've had mine out several times, lubed them with different types of grease and eventually they still squeak. I'm considering going back to rubber and away from polyurethane.
I use silicon grease on poly bushings with no squeaks.

1634874267437.jpeg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Better yet, have you considered inspecting the bushings and end links and replacing the stabilizer bushings yourself? Stabilizer bar bushings and end links are among the least expensive and easiest bushings to replace on a car. Very straight forward, right there in front of ya (assuming you're laying on the ground). If you're not a mechanic it's a great place to learn. It usually just takes common hand tools, and not a lot of time. And on a pickup, you don't even need to jack it up! Just lay down some cardboard on the ground ...or if you want to elevate it some, back the rear wheels up onto a couple cut 2x6's or 3" bricks (not cinder blocks!!), curb, etc. he he.

Since you're from MA, you might want to look at the rust situation first, and apply some PB Blaster on the threads (repeatedly) over a couple days in advance, if the bolt threads are really rusty. Probably best is to unhook each end-link and check the 'ball' and busing for 'tightness' before ordering anything. Look at the center bushings too. Maybe they're not that bad and the mechanic's trying to sell you work. Stabilizer bushings generally last a long time. Below are some choices. I would stick with the better Moog or Mopar bushings personally.

You'd have to figure out your exact application but:

Endlinks:

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your replies.
I may have the bushings on the swaybar and control arms all replaced with OEM bushings, or better. We'll see.

Thanks again guys! :cheers: