Swirl Marks on Black Pearl Coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife has a 2019 RAM 1500 4wd Bighorn that has the Black Pearl paint and as everyone knows Black shows EVERY scratch, scrape, dent, ding, etc. etc...............What is the best way to clean all that crap off the clear coat without sending it to a professional detailer and spending your life savings?

5thRAM.jpg

bigdodge

Reaction score
No product is going to prevent swirls. What prevents them is technique. Check out the junkman2000 on YouTube. He has some really solid advice regarding this topic

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
it's a love hate relationship with a black vehicle. I love them when they are clean and detailed well, but damn I hate the detailing process. It's a full day's work on a truck this big.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it's a love hate relationship with a black vehicle. I love them when they are clean and detailed well, but damn I hate the detailing process. It's a full day's work on a truck this big.
I hated the detail process stock then the lift and the wheels now it's a whole day + 2+hrs on the wheels *****

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black paint is a full time job :)

You'll need to polish out the swirls, then my suggestion would be some form of ceramic coating. Even if its just the Mothers spray-on one you can get at Pep Boys.

After that, the key is wash process. Google 2 bucket method, or what I prefer, foam gun wash. When actually washing NEVER use the mitt/sponge/whatever in a circular motion. Only go in straight lines, the direction of the front to the back. That way if you DO induce marring, its much harder to see

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I hated the detail process stock then the lift and the wheels now it's a whole day + 2+hrs on the wheels *****

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

I'm due to rotate my tires. When I do, I do a full detail on those too. 120# each corner. I'm sooooooo not looking forward to that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
My wife has a 2019 RAM 1500 4wd Bighorn that has the Black Pearl paint and as everyone knows Black shows EVERY scratch, scrape, dent, ding, etc. etc...............What is the best way to clean all that crap off the clear coat without sending it to a professional detailer and spending your life savings?

Use the 205 105 Meguiars combo ... you will start off with the 205 to remove the swirls and scratches as long as they are not too deep .....

The 105 will polish that black pearl to a mirror finish ....

Once you have done that definitely use a ceramic coating if you don't have good washing habits and techniques lol ...

Which is why I didn't go with a black Ram lol ... I love black but yes it is a pain in the @$$ to keep up ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm due to rotate my tires. When I do, I do a full detail on those too. 120# each corner. I'm sooooooo not looking forward to that.

I am going to use some graphene coating next on my truck and wheels lol ... it has some good reviews on youtube videos and going to see for myself in the next couple of weeks

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
[QUOTE="CAG CheechDogg]

Which is why I didn't go with a black Ram lol ... I love black but yes it is a pain in the @$$ to keep up ...[/QUOTE]

but they look so friggin sweet when clean!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I am going to use some graphite coating next on my truck and wheels lol ... it has some good reviews on youtube videos and going to see for myself in the next couple of weeks

I use the chemical guys max coat wheel wax on mine, when I do them. Keeps them nice and clean.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last black car I will ever own was purchased in 2011. It still looks good, mostly because we dont drive it much and Ive kept it "coated" with something all its life. OptiCoat, OptiCoatPro, and currently 22PLE HPC.

Only one requirement in any vehicle we buy: no dark colors. Luckily Bright White looks spectacular on my 4th gen RAM :)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
[QUOTE="CAG CheechDogg]

Which is why I didn't go with a black Ram lol ... I love black but yes it is a pain in the @$$ to keep up ...

but they look so friggin sweet when clean![/QUOTE]

Oh they do lol ... as it is on my delmonico I already spend at least 2 hours every time I wash her to prevent swirls and scratching lol ... I do use a foam cannon and micro fiber mitts ... I actually blow dry it as much as I can since I have a 60 gallon air compressor and I use Meguiars hybrid wax on her for now ... I have been procrastinating with the ceramic or graphene coating but I need to do it already lol ....

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but they look so friggin sweet when clean!

Oh they do lol ... as it is on my delmonico I already spend at least 2 hours every time I wash her to prevent swirls and scratching lol ... I do use a foam cannon and micro fiber mitts ... I actually blow dry it as much as I can since I have a 60 gallon air compressor and I use Meguiars hybrid wax on her for now ... I have been procrastinating with the ceramic or graphene coating but I need to do it already lol ....

Once you coat it, if you leave a hose with no nozzle on it, you should be able to sheet off the soap suds AND leave behind basically zero water on the panel. Just need an open hose end with very very little pressure. Once you get the hang of it its really easy to do and eliminates probably 90% of the necessary drying.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Once you coat it, if you leave a hose with no nozzle on it, you should be able to sheet off the soap suds AND leave behind basically zero water on the panel. Just need an open hose end with very very little pressure. Once you get the hang of it its really easy to do and eliminates probably 90% of the necessary drying.

Oh yeah lol ... my wife's lexus has ceramic coating and washing her car is a breeze ..... I still can't believe I haven't done it to my truck lol

my routine is not regular at all, so the coating is probably long gone before I do the next application.

Ah ok cool ... gonnah check it out then

OP
OP
Jeff Strader

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Exactly and my poor ticker just can't handle that kind of workout.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
It sucks but you can pay people to do it

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

No doubt. Mines a mega cab and it takes me a day just to clean it good.
Being a former painter. You'd think I'd know better than getting black. But no my dumb a$$ now owns 3. Each weekend I get to see each one halfway clean for 5 min. LoL