Switchback Resistors (Morimoto VS Headlight Revolution)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Crew Cab
Engine
I ordered and received the HR Front Switchback LED Bulbs today.
They sent the Morimoto Resistors instead of the ones shown in the HR installation video.

I can make the Morimoto Resistors work, and in fact will only have to splice one side of the Resistor into the wiring harness (White/Green Wire). The other side of the Morimoto has a Wire Lug attached that can be grounded to the frame when the Resistor is mounted.

My concern is the the HR Resistors shown in their video are 6 Ohm, 50 Watt.
The Morimoto Resistors are 7.5 Ohm, 40 Watt.

That brings to mind two questions.
1. Is a 40 Watt Resistor sufficient to handle the power?
2. Is 7.5 Ohms low enough to eliminate the Hyper Flashing?

Has anyone used the Morimoto Resistor Kit on a 2018 RAM (I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic) without issue?

(I'm waiting for a rely from HR)

RodeoGeorge

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They sent the Morimoto Resistors instead of the ones shown in the HR installation video.

I can make the Morimoto Resistors work, and in fact will only have to splice one side of the Resistor into the wiring harness (White/Green Wire). The other side of the Morimoto has a Wire Lug attached that can be grounded to the frame when the Resistor is mounted.

Has anyone used the Morimoto Resistor Kit on a 2018 RAM (I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic) without issue?

RodeoGeorge

Morimotos will work perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

RodeoGeorge
The choice in load resistor depends entirely on what current the LED draws, and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. We know that a 3157 bulb (the turn signal bulb on a quad headlight ram) draws about 2.1 amps, so the bcm is looking for a resistance of about 6.1 ohms. The difference between a 6 ohm and 7.5 ohm resistor is about .4 amps, and depending on what needs to be made up for the LEDs current draw, could be the difference in setting off the bulb out error. The wattage is just how much heat it can dissipate, so higher would be better. HR probably started out with the 6 ohm 50 watt resistors, then got some complaints of errors, then switched to 7.5 ohm 40 watt. Brand name has nothing to do with it, as all load resistors work exactly the same for what they are rated.