Switching to a Chevy or Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghornet54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
I think I'm done with Ram. I have a Ram 2500 diesel and really like the vehicle, the problem is my local dealer is a piece of work! I will never go to them again and this is the reason for my changing vehicles. I think it is about time I upgraded trucks. I've been wanting a 3500 and I'm looking at a Chevy with the duramax engine. I actually went to the dealer to look at a Ram 3500 while my 2500 was supposed to be in the shop, but the service writer got very smart with me and I just walked out.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may have to switch to chevy after this one dies. If its true that they will he making v8 for at least the next 10 years. We will see. Mine is still new

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There isn't another chrysler dealer in your area??
There is a dealer in town. BUT I detest that dealer, so I drove 45 miles, over an hour away and bought my Hemi. Even a small road trip can be good. But just IMHO .....

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a durmax for a few years. It was a 2011 chevy 3500 dually, and that was when the DEF stuff was new, it screwed up and left me stranded up in Michigan while towing my RV once. At that time the truck only had 9000 miles too. Came home and traded that next week. Having had both I can honestly say the cummins pulls harder and better than my duramax, at least on my 12000lb RV. But I could do a chevy HD if the interiors of their trucks wasnt all black plastic.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually part of the reason we have two mopar vehicles is because of the local dealer who is great for service. And also super close. I hated having to drive 30 minutes to the Honda dealer and their service was so so and that drove us to get the pacifica instead. I get where the op is coming from and if you're rural the next nearest ram dealer may not be that close.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Actually part of the reason we have two mopar vehicles is because of the local dealer who is great for service. And also super close. I hated having to drive 30 minutes to the Honda dealer and their service was so so and that drove us to get the pacifica instead. I get where the op is coming from and if you're rural the next nearest ram dealer may not be that close.
I get it too. Frustrating to be sure. But there is no guarantee Chevy or Ford service will be any better. Seems poor dealer service is the norm these days.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'm done with Ram. I have a Ram 2500 diesel and really like the vehicle, the problem is my local dealer is a piece of work! I will never go to them again and this is the reason for my changing vehicles. I think it is about time I upgraded trucks. I've been wanting a 3500 and I'm looking at a Chevy with the duramax engine. I actually went to the dealer to look at a Ram 3500 while my 2500 was supposed to be in the shop, but the service writer got very smart with me and I just walked out.
We here are all vehicle enthusiasts. However, keep in mind this is 'Ram Forum'!
I've had horrible dealer experiences in the past, so, I look for a better dealer. Perhaps do that?

As for the Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 - one of the executives in my organization had a GMC 2500 with the Duramax and just bounced it two weeks ago, fed up with the product altogether.

In 210,000Km's of driving (truck is 4 years old) he's on his second engine, second transmission, third turbo, and a complete harness replacement, plus multiple trips to the dealership for a host of glitches with all the bougie features it has.

Every OEM has their own issues, this is a know fact of vehicle ownership, and Ram is no different.

However, and in my opinion only, unless you outright take issue with your trucks operational condition(s) being such that it's continually breaking down. Coming on here and flogging the dumping of your truck because a dealership is less than stellar in their customer service might not net the support you're looking for from us Ram owners...just saying.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
As others have said, you'll be lucky if you don't have issues with one of the other camps. Whether that's dealer/service issues or reliability issues. It's a crap shoot no matter what brand you go with. Honestly, if you like the truck, I'd try to find a reputable local shop to work on it instead of the dealer. Around here, we've got tons of dealers within a 50mi radius and several of my diesel buddies use the local diesel hot rod shops instead because they have the passion and customer service the dealer doesn't. Poor dealership experiences are also part of why I do all my own work, even on new stuff. I won't let them touch it unless it's a hugely expensive warranty repair (which have been very few and far between thankfully)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It always takes two to tango.

I don't know the details about your last service situation (and honestly I don't care to hear the details -- that's just relitigating the past). I've seen some people be absolute jerks at dealers (or other stores) ...and made a not-so-good situation much worse. I get it. Been there. Then nobody felt good about it the problem at hand. And I'll fall on the sword myself and claim I've gotten more than a little heated at times in certain situations (not Chrysler dealer, but otherwise similar situations), and created a created that was worse than it had to be. I've gone back and tried to make them right, or as best as I can.

In my old line of work, i had a finite number of local customers. There weren't new customers we could just go out and get. When differences arose (and they frequently did), I HAD to find a way to set personalities and tempers aside and focus on tasks at hand and how both parties could make things work out. When you HAVE to make things work out, it forces ya to keep pushing for a positive outcome. I found that, often, where tempers once flared, we ultimately learned what buttons were hot-buttons, and where we had commonalities. Usually when it was said and done, we would become pretty good business partners and work together on future projects. We just had to resolve things and figure out how to work together.

So I guess I'd throw it out there, ...*is* there a way/process/path forward, how you could make it work with this dealer? Maybe it's working with a different service writer at the same dealership. Maybe it's having a talk with the general manager about your situation. Possibly try to come to a reasonable consensus of your situation. Being a service writer is a difficult job and they don't always get things right. Customers aren't always right either. Consider it. Maybe don't throw the towel in just yet.

Last edited:

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned this 17 Ram for a little over one year now. My last vehicle that was totaled was a Lincoln MKX and I always took it to the Ford Dealer along with my Mustang. I since moved one hour away from that dealer but they treated me and my vehicle very good. It takes an hour to get there but now that's where my ram goes, to the Ford dealer an hour away.

I wouldn't get away from Ram just because of the sad service you had at the dealer. Find yourself another place to go. Sounds like your going to need one anyway. Good luck hunting.

JMO but stay away from Chevy, I had bad experiences with all 4 Chevy's I ever owned.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last truck purchase was a Chevy and I made sure my dealer knew it. 8 Rams purchased in the last twenty years. Last one lost the transmission at 48,000 miles due to a well known design defect. 4 months out of warranty. $6,300 bill for the trans and they, and Stellantis, we’re unwilling to do anything for me. I had even offered up that if they covered the transmission I’d order a new truck on the spot.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
If you want power and a rock solid drive train, no one does it better than Dodge and Cummins. No one. IMO, the next best option for me would be GM. Not because it is any better than Ford, but because they are the least expensive to maintain and buy parts for. Ford makes a great truck too, but you have to get the powerstroke. Their gas v8s are kind of weak. Even the coyote motors. Higher RPMs and small cubic inches do absolutly nothing for you when towing and should only be offered in the 150 IMO.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963