Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doubleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had put PYB 5W-20 in my Pentastar equipped Pacifica at about 3k miles. Was noisy right from the get go and I wasn't too happy with it. Put 2k miles on the PYB and drained it out today. Filled with 6 quarts QSUD in the 5w-30 flavor and boy it is whisper quiet now. I run the Fram Ultra in both my Pentastar engines, seems like the best bang for the buck for this engine.

The Pacifica calls out 0w-20 for whatever reason but it will never see that as long as I own it. So far very pleased with the QSUD. I'll report some long term results as I put on miles.

How is the QSUD working out for you? That is what I have just purchased and plan to use in the future.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I crawled under the truck and used my boroscope to look at where the oil is coming from. I THINK it's coming from the dipstick. The driver's side has a lot more oil than the passengers side which to me suggests it's not the rear main seal. I also shined a light up into the tiny bellhousing hole and it looks like the torque converter is dry. Then I sprayed some brake cleaner around the dipstick and it ran down the oil pan past the starter and down the transmission to the exact point I found the oil. Also the dipstick has to be moved over to clear the headers I had put on.

So am I being too optimistic or does the dipstick sound right?

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I crawled under the truck and used my boroscope to look at where the oil is coming from. I THINK it's coming from the dipstick. The driver's side has a lot more oil than the passengers side which to me suggests it's not the rear main seal. I also shined a light up into the tiny bellhousing hole and it looks like the torque converter is dry. Then I sprayed some brake cleaner around the dipstick and it ran down the oil pan last the started and down the transmission to the exact point I found the oil. Also the dipstick has to be moved over to clear the headers I had put on.

So am I being too optimistic or does the dipstick sound right?
Hard to say with out seeing it; but I will say on my 1999 the Oil came straight down from between the engine and transmission Soaking the transmission with engine oil. Barely any oil on the oil pan or engine side of it. And on my 2013 I had to bent the crap out of my dip stick tube to gain the clearance I needed for the headers, and it never went back into the block the same. It was always a little off.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to say with out seeing it; but I will say on my 1999 the Oil came straight down from between the engine and transmission Soaking the transmission with engine oil. Barely any oil on the oil pan or engine side of it. And on my 2013 I had to bent the crap out of my dip stick tube to gain the clearance I needed for the headers, and it never went back into the block the same. It was always a little off.
That's been my experience with rear main seal leaks at well. It also throws it around the whole bellhousing area more than what I'm seeing...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing that stood out to me was that Lubeguard does Very good in group 1,2, and 3 base stock oils. But in group 4 and 5 not so much; lubeguard looks to have some potential in petroleum products.
Keep forgetting to post the update on the Lubegard in my work van. I'm about at 5000 and in need of an oil change (my company specifies 5k OCI) and I have had 0 startup tick and a much less pronounced hot idle tick since using the Lubegard. The van has had a steady diet of M1 5w30 so this supports that it works better in group 2&3 oils...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So it's been damp in that area off and on for about 5 years now. I brought it into the dealer 3 times while it was under warranty and was told all 3 times that it's a "seep not a leak". Well now at 58k it's a leak. I'm assuming it's the rear main seal but it could be something else too. I was really hoping it was the crankshaft position sensor leaking but that was dry....

I've got about 2000 miles on the Bils and since I replaced the sway bar end links that noise is gone...

The end links on the 1500's do not like being lifted at all. I'm using extended ones to solve that. Also some of these trucks have bad liner rattle, I fixed mine with zip ties... also to keep them from rubbing on my Toyos.

Forgot to take images of the front where I trimmed them back since they were hanging below the bumper, but they're also zipped tied there since they would get pushed into the tires on the highway with the right kind of wind. The links solved 90% of the front end rattle, zip tying the liners solved the rest.

https://imgur.com/a/aCHmA92

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The end links on the 1500's do not like being lifted at all. I'm using extended ones to solve that. Also some of these trucks have bad liner rattle, I fixed mine with zip ties... also to keep them from rubbing on my Toyos.

Forgot to take images of the front where I trimmed them back since they were hanging below the bumper, but they're also zipped tied there since they would get pushed into the tires on the highway with the right kind of wind. The links solved 90% of the front end rattle, zip tying the liners solved the rest.

https://imgur.com/a/aCHmA92

AWESOME I'm going to zip tie that today thanks!

I replaced the links with Moog greasable ones and its been quiet ever since. First step in making the entire front end of my truck greasable.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why? I made a funnel out of the first one like was suggested and it works great for me, even with the Redline bottles.

They suck when trying to squeeze under the truck when filling transmission and differential. They also don’t do as well with allowing the air to vent when pouring compared to offset.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They suck when trying to squeeze under the truck when filling transmission and differential. They also don’t do as well with allowing the air to vent when pouring compared to offset.
Honestly, you're right. Less air vent with RL bottles. Also, larger shipping case volume which translates in higher prices for us.
My 2 cents.

I still love RL!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca