Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I agree with you most certainly except one thing the SRT filter (Big Filter) will fit the threads to screw on to the motor on the Ram okay, but I cannot get the big filter past the power steering unit so how are getting past the power steering unit if I may ask? I hate using the small dinky filter. No disrespect intended. :)

No problem. I think I posted before how I install it, but I'll go over it again. I prime it with oil until the media is soaked (that's important), but the oil in the middle is only half full. I lay on my back with my chest under the front axle so I can kind of see where I install it. I'm slightly sideways so I can also see up in front of the axle, behind the radiator. I start from the front and turn the filter more than 45 degrees on its side and work it in between the tight AC lines. It's really tight. Once I get it past them there is barely room to turn the filter back to a vertical position and thread it in. Once it's threaded I don't bother to hand tighten it. I take a torque wrench and torque it to 10 ft-lb. That's kind of the universal value for "don't lose the filter while driving." So I go in with the filter from the front, above the axle, and electronic power steering. Even if the Devil himself designed this engine, he wouldn't have thought of such a terrible placement for the oil filter. Does that make sense?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla, you were right about 5W-30 being Red Line's best offering. The second best would be 5W-40. That's about all I would run from them in a HEMI. But you were dead on about 5W-30. Take a look:

View attachment 250383

man, that is a great find there, thanks

5w30 is their best effort oil imo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Phoenix where did you get that great chart? is there more?

Also shows that I may have been wrong about 0w30 redline. While, it has proven to be the better choice in the cold, you see how it got that way, with a lot more vii's. I think about one truck in particular that didn't do well on 5w20 redline as far as tick, but was best on 0w30 redline. But, in general I'd attempt to use 5w20 redline before 0w30 redline if you can keep the tick away but the 5w30 leaves too much piston slap. Man what a cluster fudge it can be to find the right fit.

Dudes, no fubukin way, look at vii 10w30 redline versus 5w30, lmao. I'm telling you they use their best base oils in that 5w30. Explains why my truck ticked on 10w30, and if that chart is true, Dave told us a fib.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Phoenix where did you get that great chart? is there more?

Also shows that I may have been wrong about 0w30 redline. While, it has proven to be the better choice in the cold, you see how it got that way, with a lot more vii's. I think about one truck in particular that didn't do well on 5w20 redline as far as tick, but was best on 0w30 redline. But, in general I'd attempt to use 5w20 redline before 0w30 redline if you can keep the tick away but the 5w30 leaves too much piston slap. Man what a cluster fudge it can be to find the right fit.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1yfMsV7f-qDogpU1s15Ghaw8SdUcw_YR966A0GPrgmNA/htmlview

Here it is burla

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, I forgot how things are up north. No wonder you're posting 20mpg averages. At that speed, I'm surprised you're only getting 20mpg :driver:
If it wasnt constantly having to climb a big hill every day to get to work id be around 21-22 i believe. J usually set the cruise at 62. Rpms are usually around 1400

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gokhan on BITOG. He's the brains behind it.

Did you see the base oil density of Red Line?

yes we have discussed this one before as those are posted on redlines site.

Is there a formula to his results? I mean this couldn't have came from the horses mouth, but how did he determine the info? Did he account for density when he formulated vii content?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes we have discussed this one before as those are posted on redlines site.

Is there a formula to his results? I mean this couldn't have came from the horses mouth, but how did he determine the info? Did he account for density when he formulated vii content?
Gokhan on BITOG. He's the brains behind it.

Did you see the base oil density of Red Line?
the biggest suprise is the valvoline blends that have low vii content

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I wonder if you can order a case of redline 5w30 w/o moly. That would totally settle it about moly.

You can't. It's a track oil. Moly is there to balance out other additives like ZDDP so that your timing chain doesn't wear out prematurely during sessions at the track. Oh, and for cam wear protection. Did you notice the amount of Moly going down in Red Line over the years? That's because ZDDP went down as well. You can't imbalance an oil formulation that. It's more complex than what you see in a VOA/UOA.

Why do you think that Mobil 1 0W-30 racing oil has 1600ppm of Moly? On the flip side, why do you think TGMO has 700+ ppm of Moly?