Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you all want to turn this discussion into something personal, go for it. :kiss1:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
$147.60 amazon 12 pack. Close to what it was almost a decade ago at 143. Just have to shop online to find cheap costs. it is what it is... If you don't know what I am talking about, it is a FAIL :)

FREE delivery May 11 - 13.

Yeah, we don’t get those kind of deals up here… $20/bottle…

D7FB55F0-3E63-46FD-A54D-67C82395462F.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How much is Red Line up in Canada? It's a much better option than mixing any motor oil with Lubeguard.
You can get it at either of the local speed shops in Calgary for right around 20 bucks a quart with taxes,that's if it hasn't gone up in the last couple months.
You can get PUP on sale at Canadian Tires for $34.99 right now for a 5 litre jug,even with throwing two 10 oz bottles of Lubegard in with the PUP it's still alot cheaper then Redline is

Rod Knock

Reaction score
You can get it at either of the local speed shops in Calgary for right around 20 bucks a quart with taxes,that's if it hasn't gone up in the last couple months.
You can get PUP on sale at Canadian Tires for $34.99 right now for a 5 litre jug,even with throwing two 10 oz bottles of Lubegard in with the PUP it's still alot cheaper then Redline is
Well, PUP uses thin GTL base oils. That's actually the difference between PUP and PP, as PP uses Group III and GTL. If I was limited to using Pennzoil, I'd rather use PP than PUP, because PUP is chock-full of VII, probably cheap VII nonetheless.

Lubegard is more effective if you use it with solid oil, as in not "as thin of a base oil" as PUP uses. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1. Heck, I'd try it with Valvoline EP and just keep the OCI shorter. Valvoline uses thicker Group III base oils.

I'm saying this because Lubegard can only go so far, and it can't improve upon your base oil. And you shouldn't use more than 3 oz per quart of oil, otherwise, you will dilute the add pack of the oil.

Castrol EDGE EP is actually decent oil, much better than PUP. It's the same formulation used in Jaguar/Land Rover supercharged V8 engines. It has a decent density. Yes, it's Group III-based. But if a luxury brand uses it, it can be used safely in a HEMI.

I got Red Line 0W-20 at $146 per case of 12 quarts. I got two more cases for the Durango. The dealership said I can use Red Line as long as I use the correct viscosity.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, PUP uses thin GTL base oils. That's actually the difference between PUP and PP, as PP uses Group III and GTL. If I was limited to using Pennzoil, I'd rather use PP than PUP, because PUP is chock-full of VII, probably cheap VII nonetheless.

Lubegard is more effective if you use it with solid oil, as in not "as thin of a base oil" as PUP uses. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1. Heck, I'd try it with Valvoline EP and just keep the OCI shorter. Valvoline uses thicker Group III base oils.

I'm saying this because Lubegard can only go so far, and it can't improve upon your base oil. And you shouldn't use more than 3 oz per quart of oil, otherwise, you will dilute the add pack of the oil.

Castrol EDGE EP is actually decent oil, much better than PUP. It's the same formulation used in Jaguar/Land Rover supercharged V8 engines. It has a decent density. Yes, it's Group III-based. But if a luxury brand uses it, it can be used safely in a HEMI.

I got Red Line 0W-20 at $146 per case of 12 quarts. I got two more cases for the Durango. The dealership said I can use Red Line as long as I use the correct viscosity.
5 litre jugs of Pennzoil Platinium is on sale for $31.99 right now at Candian Tire,lol

Rod Knock

Reaction score
5 litre jugs of Pennzoil Platinium is on sale for $31.99 right now at Candian Tire,lol
That would be $24.84 in US dollars. Not bad, considering you're getting 5 liters versus 5 quarts. We had a sale here a while back, 5 quarts of PP for $19.99, at Walmart.

The irony is that Pennzoil Platinum is exactly the same oil as Shell Helix Ultra SP. It's a global formulation, Dexos licensed and thoroughly tested. PUP is a regional formulation that's an afterthought. It's the dumping ground for excess GTL. You notice that there are periods of time when PUP is unavailable, that's when Shell doesn't have any excess GTL to dump.

Sadly though, because of the marketing machine, people perceive PUP as the superior product.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The last couple of times I’ve been into JB Powercenter their Redline oils shelf was fairly picked over, minimal product. Mopac, though, always seems to have stock. Most of their engine/gear oils were $22/qt at that time.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The last couple of times I’ve been into JB Powercenter their Redline oils shelf was fairly picked over, minimal product. Mopac, though, always seems to have stock. Most of their engine/gear oils were $22/qt at that time.
Selling lubricants is a good business.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hemi's get power from it's size and dimensions, whereas other HP engines get their power from air and rpm's. You can go thick if you want, but less important then most HP engines. A good discussion is what is better, going with heavy aw/ep additives, or heavy viscosity, or both, or neither. I'd say the hemi specific oil only uses heavy EP additives, it is not thick per say, not heavy aw additives either. UOA's on srt oil have it in the 10's, which is a light 30 weight. FCA did not care about shear like most other manu's that use 0w40 did, if you want that protection look at those oils with dexos and other shear friendly specs to buy instead of pup.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
1700 miles and still quiet:head3:
In case someone new sees this, Corey is running 0w40 amsoil and it is keeping his tick away like redline 5w30.

What this means, his truck has always been a little more responsive at killing tick with viscosity instead of formula. Not saying formula wasnt part of it, but with his truck viscosity is part of it. Some trucks like mine the formula matters, 5w20 redline was just as good as 5w30 redline in my truck, but not Corey's. Corey's truck, so far 0w30 redline (old formula), 5w30 redline and now 0w40 amsoil have been the best??? 5w20 redline and amsoil lighter oils no good?? We will see how that does on piston slap, or are you changing the oil then? My guess that would be all bad news on piston slap level as amsoil 0w40 is way thick.

What this means on a forum level, clearly every truck and tick is different, what works for some wont work for others. But, it has been proven over and over a lubrication strategy often pays dividends at killing tick, so try something different if your truck is ticking, and consider formula and viscosity and find what works best. And when it comes time to buy a new truck, the one way to ensure you wont get hemi tick, don't buy a freak'n hemi.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93