Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. I'm suffering from the Mondays, so I only now realized my verbiage didn't indicate any knowledge of fluid dynamics. Sorry about that!
I have a feeling the engine is suffering from lower oil pressure, but I'll need to find the right PID and verify it's not calculated.

Either way, sounds like I have a rough plan, assuming I can find some Red Line for less than $80CAD / gallon (Great to live in Alberta...)
if the engine is suffering low pressure then 30 weight would increase that like a said a point or 2.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
my thought is it was good :)

But personally I have never had an oil filter near capacity not even 10k miles plus 2 years, if you do then you have some real issues. My issue with fram is similar to other manu's that have gone back and forst, is it 100% synthetic or not, would you bet on it? We know rp/amsoil is because there was never a question. The fact my fram got stiff from aging in my trunk and there was a rp right next to it that didn't, is why I chose rp over the fram. I could be convinced to use fram, what I would need is a few long intervals and being cut open and compare that to a rp done the same way. Would that fram be as pliable? I ran fram in the wifes canister filter, it never has been as pliable as rp, the dual layer pink.yellow I believe it to be a blend.

Too bad there isnt a gauge that registered every time your filter goes to bypass, now that would be helpful?

Sure would! Mebbe @Wild one will launch another science fair? "All" that's require is to retrofit a differential pressure gauge across the bypass valve. ;-)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sure would! Mebbe @Wild one will launch another science fair? "All" that's require is to retrofit a differential pressure gauge across the bypass valve. ;-)
That's easier said then done,as it would entail 2 mechanical gauges calibrated to match,ran into the interior and probably a passenger to keep track of them,under full throttle

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Burla - you also showed a chart with particle capacity, didn't you? Thought Fram Ultra & RP topped that one, too.

Wix and AC (whoever make those for them) are pretty much useless rock-catchers.

Edit: sure am glad to be running Red Line 5W-30 in this summer blast furnace heat (100 degrees today), with 50% higher HTHS shear-down resistance and 50% lower evaporating volatility than 0W-30!
Wix xp topped the particle capacity but its efficiency with small particles is troubling.

I am glad i got a 40 wt in mine over a 20 wt. we hit 100 to. 96 right on lake superior

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wix xp topped the particle capacity but its efficiency with small particles is troubling.

I am glad i got a 40 wt in mine over a 20 wt. we hit 100 to. 96 right on lake superior

Ya don't suppose those two characteristics might be related?
Not asking for a friend.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my thought is it was good :)

But personally I have never had an oil filter near capacity not even 10k miles plus 2 years, if you do then you have some real issues. My issue with fram is similar to other manu's that have gone back and forth, is it 100% synthetic or not, would you bet on it? We know rp/amsoil is because there was never a question. The fact my fram got stiff from aging in my trunk and there was a rp right next to it that didn't, is why I chose rp over the fram. I could be convinced to use fram, what I would need is a few long intervals and being cut open and compare that to a rp done the same way. Would that fram be as pliable? I ran fram in the wifes canister filter, it never has been as pliable as rp, the dual layer pink.yellow I believe it to be a blend.

Too bad there isnt a gauge that registered every time your filter goes to bypass, now that would be helpful?
I think with synthetic filters the top is rp/amsoil and i believe vp racing will be a clone of those 2 as well. Wix xp synthetic to and with huge capacity but poor efficiency

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RP is thick media as we all have seen at this point yes? Well, another way to put it is the media takes up a lot of space. Another way to put that is the media takes up a lot of space that could possibly be a space for contamination? But that thick media also stops a lot of contamination.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tried to find rlk's pic screenshot he took from this video, but here is the video again, you can see the difference between wix xp and royal purple in the beginning of this vid..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since that video we have cut open ram size filters as well and the same thing was there as well, wix xp thin tight media and rp loose.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's not just having loose media, it is having media with more consistent, smaller openings, and more of them, leading to a lower flow restriction combined with better (smaller) filtering. So what's the rub? Cost, of course!

Since these are marketed into mass consumer markets, the average joe doesn't know or care about any of this until his engine fails earlier than others. What do I mean by that? Higher oil flow restriction filters that let more small particles through wear engines faster - fast enough to matter if the difference is 50,000 miles maybe @ 150,000 miles? No. Hence the marketing of cheap filters.

It's different in the big industrial market where machine downtime and longevity is everything. Many use glass wound oil filters. Fleetgard's was called Stratapore. I forget what Donaldson's is called.

To @Wild one 's point, the surface area is also critical since they trap more, they plug faster. That's where the differential pressure gauges come in. Some of our prime and continuous power customers put them on. Also circulating bearing oil systems of paper machines. Uptime is the only thing in those biz's. Their machines are revenue & profit producers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know the ford 79 had the solid axle, did the dodge as well? that thing is so sweet. were those stacks just for looks or is it diesel? man if that is diesel I feel like getting on a plane check in hand.

that was the fastest production vehicle in the usa 79.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know the ford 79 had the solid axle, did the dodge as well? that thing is so sweet. were those stacks just for looks or is it diesel? man if that is diesel I feel like getting on a plane check in hand.

that was the fastest production vehicle in the usa 79.
Not sure on the axle but i believe it was a 360 with a 4 barrel and no cats! 225 horsepower which is decent for the late 70s i guess. Ive seen a few at carshows before their cool lil trucks

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the axle but i believe it was a 360 with a 4 barrel and no cats! 225 horsepower which is decent for the late 70s i guess. Ive seen a few at carshows before their cool lil trucks
Decent? That was spectacular! The highest horsepower any Corvette made from the smog area was like 195 HP in 1979. I bet that truck won a lot of drag races especially if it had some decent gears in it!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Decent? That was spectacular! The highest horsepower any Corvette made from the smog area was like 195 HP in 1979. I bet that truck won a lot of drag races especially if it had some decent gears in it!
They were the quickest production vehicle of 78 and 79,but they weren't all that quick,lol. You have to remember what era they're from. I was going to buy one in 79,told the saleman if it was quicker then my shortbox Ford i'd buy it.It wasn't even close to how quick my little Ford was,then had to take a few of the local Dodge dealers salesmens for a ride in my truck,they quit talking about how fast the Little Reds were,lol. They should of stuck the older hi-po 440 in them.There were no rules for trucks back then,that would of prevented them from putting a 440 in the little trucks.The interiors in them,also left alot to be desired compared to the Ford and Chevy interiors of the same era.S****ty pics of my little Ford,but it ran 13.70's way back in high school (late 70's),and beat up on alot of supposedly fast cars back then,lol

Attachments

• IMG_3521 (2).JPG
    IMG_3521 (2).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3524 (2).JPG
    IMG_3524 (2).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 11