Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Redine 5w30 has an almost identical viscosity as mobil 1 FS 0w40. The difference being redline wont shear where as mobil 1 FS 0w40 will shear due to increased VII

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Was talking about regular M1. I wonder what base stock M1 FS is? All PAO? PAO blend with Group III or esters?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Eco Diesel Rams most fuel efficient truck will be discoed 2023, any guess on what they will replace it with? 2024 electric rams hit the streets.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Eco Diesel Rams most fuel efficient truck will be discoed 2023, any guess on what they will replace it with? 2024 electric rams hit the streets.
I love the idea of being off the grid only to find out my electric battery is ****** or that the mileage I should be getting is 2x that of what I will actually get. Don't even mention towing lmao. I think EVs are cool just not in a truck unless that truck is going to be used by contractors who just don't travel too far day-to-day or your average daily driver. I suppose if you are towing a camper you already have a generator with some extra gas and possibly solar panels on the top of the camper that could theoretically be used as a backup power source to charge your truck if need be. It will be interesting to see how things go for EV trucks but the F150 Lightning definitely didn't have a good start.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

My guess is the 5.7 will stick around for 2024 at least, and then the new hurricane inline 6 in SO and HO forms, so probably 3 engine choices in total.

The electric ram will probably be offered along side the normal ram, just like the Ford lightening and the GM electric trucks are offered in addition to their normal trucks.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
35 when hot idling where it was usually 40 hot with 5w30 Redline. Cold pressure idk yet but when driving I seem to notice 50+ under acceleration at normal op temp for both oils
That is actually spot on. I get exactly 5psi more using PUP 5w30 over PUP 5w20. Completely normal.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, so, it's gettin cold up here on the tundra.

Changed oil tonight with 3,530 miles in 6 months. Even with 2 deer hunt trips out of state, that's depressingly low. Then again, I did ride the bike quite a bit this summer.

This said, I could still smell the unburned hydrocarbon contamination in the oil (an off-gasoline smell) at this mileage, due to frequent starts, where incomplete combustion is at it's high point. So it's always good to dump that crap out.

Then I discovered I forgot to get a filter, so down to Wally World I go to get a Fram Ultra XG 10575. No Royal Purples around here.

In goes the Red Line 0W-30, only to sit for another 6 months. Maybe I'll get out and do something this winter, even with COVID Mutation LCXVIIV on the loose?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, so, it's gettin cold up here on the tundra.

Changed oil tonight with 3,530 miles in 6 months. Even with 2 deer hunt trips out of state, that's depressingly low. Then again, I did ride the bike quite a bit this summer.

This said, I could still smell the unburned hydrocarbon contamination in the oil (an off-gasoline smell) at this mileage, due to frequent starts, where incomplete combustion is at it's high point. So it's always good to dump that crap out.

Then I discovered I forgot to get a filter, so down to Wally World I go to get a Fram Ultra XG 10575. No Royal Purples around here.

In goes the Red Line 0W-30, only to sit for another 6 months. Maybe I'll get out and do something this winter, even with COVID Mutation LCXVIIV on the loose?
55 over here in da up lol. Dod you get a sample of the 5w30?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
55 over here in da up lol. Dod you get a sample of the 5w30?

Nah - I did that a year ago - it was pristine. Except for 10% lower viscosity than "typical" spec sheet - you might recall I sent in a VOA from the same batch I used for the changed oil, and it was identical viscosity.

Which means: (1) the data sheet "typical" viscosity varies widely from actual, and (2) Red Line did not change viscosity at all....meaning very shear-stable, oxidation-stable, and evaporation-stable.

All the evidence I've seen shows Red Line really is the super oil they claim it is. And then there's that price! You get what you pay for. Too bad the Hemi Gen III oiling system wasn't designed adequately. Otherwise we wouldn't have this topic at all.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, I've never been interested in lubricants, to me oil was always just ... oil. But with the price of everything going up, I want to get more out of my vehicles. That's why I joined here and started reading. And boy, did I find a lot of good information.

I am interested in making my engines last, so I looked into AmsOil and Red Line. They're both very very expensive, with Red Line slightly more so, but not as expensive as a new engine.

So far I learned that all these commonly available oils are fake synthetics. Only AMSOIL and Red Line are true 100% synthetic. I find AMSOIL to have some strange sales practices, so I looked more into Red Line. I found most information here and on a forum that deals exclusively with lubricants. Wow, I didn't know that there were oil nerds out there!

At $65 a gallon Red Line is very very expensive. I found the discussion bellow on the forum I was talking about. Other than the goofy annotations, the documentation looks legit like it's coming from the manufacturer. It looks like Red Line is now using Group III base oil. I am sorry, but if it's true, then it's absolutely not worth the money.

This would leave Amsoil as the only viable option as it's 100% synthetic. Their documentation and testing seems very thorough.

Screenshot_2022-11-27_hiw84hbw63.png

I have also found this video documentary about Amsoil:

Amsoil looks to me like a serious company that knows what it's doing.

I'm sorry about the long post but I wanted to get your opinion.

What do you guys think I should do?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone wanna talk me in to or out of spiking my PUP 5W-30 with 3 qts of Red Line 0W-30 for a winter blend? This would be a fresh oil change and my truck uses 8 qts total, I already have two 5qt jugs of the PUP 5W-30 in hand.

This is my first real winter so I am considering options.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No.

Hemi's take 7 qts oil, not 8, unless you did something to it.

Why would you mix brands? Generally not a good idea anyway with unknown add pack mixing.

Just spike your PUP with LubeGard.

RedLine is a thicker oil in SAE vis grades, which is why we run 0W-30 in winter. Don't need to with PUP.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah mine takes 8 qts now. I'll stick with the PUP likely. Just thinking out loud.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone wanna talk me in to or out of spiking my PUP 5W-30 with 3 qts of Red Line 0W-30 for a winter blend? This would be a fresh oil change and my truck uses 8 qts total, I already have two 5qt jugs of the PUP 5W-30 in hand.

This is my first real winter so I am considering options.
I would, especially with prices going up so high you might get similar performance as full sump redline. I think this strategy is even better then lubegard plus PUP. Redline is a balanced formula all by itself, group 3 is neutral, so it wont create any issue, as far as compatibility. We know for a fact the benefits of redline in hemi's, the question is can you get similar benefits with a strategy you suggest. To test it like we did redline, that would take multiple long term uoa's and many people running the same thing, so likely that wont happen. But I subscribe to this, I just think you make group 3 oils better if you do this. I probably subscribe to running 100% redline a little more, but I always hoped some guys would test this, especially any tick killing benefits that might appear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357