Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, now that you have a daily driver I would wager it will be very hard to keep it quiet even with redline. Downtime brings ticks back, and it is more then just bleed down, I believe it does effect the EP plate, as even with small trips the tick can still appear. However, since your tick is more treatable with visc, just maybe you wont have that happen. I'm sure you will keep us updated, but keep an eye out on that.
Yeah I plan to drive it to work several times a month just for that reason. Plus it will get some workouts towing the camper in the summer.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I guess I'm doing the same, though for different reasons and I didn't have a ticker (yet).

The combination of forcible retirement and global pandemic crashed the commuting and vacationing mileage by 3/4. I ride the Harley for all small errands in summer, sold lake property, kids grew up, etc. I've seen a number of guys in the same situation.

When I do need the truck, I try to remember to prelube it at cranking rpm several cycles to fill the oil filter and lifters before letting it fire. Cause cold start PCM programming starts engine @ 1,400 rpm. Helluva speed to start a dry engine sitting for days or weeks.

The truck is paid for, low miles, cared for by us. It's basically irreplaceable, now.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I'm doing the same, though for different reasons and I didn't have a ticker (yet).

The combination of forcible retirement and global pandemic crashed the commuting and vacationing mileage by 3/4. I ride the Harley for all small errands in summer, sold lake property, kids grew up, etc. I've seen a number of guys in the same situation.

When I do need the truck, I try to remember to prelube it at cranking rpm several cycles to fill the oil filter and lifters before letting it fire. Cause cold start PCM programming starts engine @ 1,400 rpm. Helluva speed to start a dry engine sitting for days or weeks.

The truck is paid for, low miles, cared for by us. It's basically irreplaceable, now.
I feel the same way about my truck. I've driven it since it had 5 miles on the odometer and maintained it myself since then. It's paid for, does what I need it to do, and has been Fluid Filmed since 2015 so theres not rust on it.

No way I'd go out and spend $60k so I can say I have a "new" truck that does everything this one does.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Corey, bridge and too far mean anything? You can think it, but you cant say it. :)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Here is a VOA for the SP mobil 1 FS 0w40. looks like esters were replaced with alkylated napthalenes based on the oxidation number. Calcium was cut in half and replaced with magnesium. Boron also cut in half likely due to needing less of it now that their using ANs. Moly remained the same. According to a PDS i found HTHS is 3.6. Its also half PAO and half GTL with ANs as well
Honestly im not super impressed but the base stock is pretty good so…. Id run it if needed.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
On the 6.4L Hemi in the 2500, they put the oil filter sideways so you can't install filled with oil. I change oil after driving the truck, letting it cool off 1st, of course, this helps maintain oil on engine surfaces - i.e. - don't change oil when the truck's been sitting a while. It also mixes contaminants in suspension so they'll drain out in the oil.

Then I fill the new oil filter and let it soak, topping off as the media absorbs the oil. Then I dump the loose oil out of the filter and install the filter. Then I prime the filter and lifters by using the "crank to prime" method of holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. Poor man's pre-lubing and not relocating the filter.
Anybody have any idea how much oil actually gets pumped from doing this crank to prime method?

I also agree. I start my truck and drive it for a couple minutes just to get the oil in the oily places and mix up the contaminants as stated.

Next time though, don’t dump all the oil back out of the filter. I’ll usually fill it up and let it soak like you said for a good 15-20 minutes at least and then I’ll add enough so it doesn’t dump out when you turn it sideways. Keeps it a good 1/3 full anyway

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, it turns the engine and the oil pump is mechanical, so I am guessing some oil pumping. Unless I am missing something. I havent done it in a while, maybe just try it a little to see what I can find out, or use my google. good question though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry Corey but I had to screenshot this for future blackmailing opportunities
I'm pretty sure if noah had more room on them tablets no dry snitching would have made those commandments,.

• Haha
Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
OK oil question for all. Screw the manufacturers recommendations how often do you guys change the oil in your air compressors?

Here’s mine just a regular garage quality piston type air compressor. 120 or 240.

It sees a fairly average amount to use I would think. I’d say once a week or 2 they probably runs for a good hour while I’m doing things in the garage. Just using a blow gun and small tools.

I do 1-2 times a year with a cheap dyno shelf oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anybody have any idea how much oil actually gets pumped from doing this crank to prime method?

I also agree. I start my truck and drive it for a couple minutes just to get the oil in the oily places and mix up the contaminants as stated.

Next time though, don’t dump all the oil back out of the filter. I’ll usually fill it up and let it soak like you said for a good 15-20 minutes at least and then I’ll add enough so it doesn’t dump out when you turn it sideways. Keeps it a good 1/3 full anyway
what about checking psi on evic while doing that? will that work?

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK oil question for all. Screw the manufacturers recommendations how often do you guys change the oil in your air compressors?

Here’s mine just a regular garage quality piston type air compressor. 120 or 240.

It sees a fairly average amount to use I would think. I’d say once a week or 2 they probably runs for a good hour while I’m doing things in the garage. Just using a blow gun and small tools.

I do 1-2 times a year with a cheap dyno shelf oil.

As of now, the oil in my compressor is 53 years old.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Cool beans bro, so I did it and for the first 5 seconds the oil psi stays low, then it starts climbing, by ten seconds the engine is under full oil psi without starting. Man, guys with hemi tick dry start, really need to do this and see if it helps.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New question, if you had hemi tick especially at dry cold start, why would this help? I mean the engine is turning anyway, so everything that is mechanical is turning, which also includes cam and lifters, right? If you have hemi tick with gas start, wouldnt you also have hemi tick on a battery turned no start engine?

Reactions: U&A

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, now that you have a daily driver I would wager it will be very hard to keep it quiet even with redline. Downtime brings ticks back, and it is more then just bleed down, I believe it does effect the EP plate, as even with small trips the tick can still appear. However, since your tick is more treatable with visc, just maybe you wont have that happen. I'm sure you will keep us updated, but keep an eye out on that.

New question, if you had hemi tick especially at dry cold start, why would this help? I mean the engine is turning anyway, so everything that is mechanical is turning, which also includes cam and lifters, right? If you have hemi tick with gas start, wouldnt you also have hemi tick on a battery turned no start engine?

I think this is the use case that Castrol Magnatec is was created and probably aimed at. Not sure how it is compared to Mobil 1 FS 0W40 I'm running now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca