Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What's UCL ?

I've been running Shell gas for a long time.

Is it bad?

Upper Cylinder Lube.

It is oil. Like running Lucas fuel injector cleaner. Basically straight base oil. Looks to be a veggie oil. Motul uses a form of veggie oil too so its not unheard of.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously,

An XLT F-250 with the 7.3 is $53,000......

That is $18,000 more than mine was new in 2016. This is getting ridiculous.

That is more money than my first house. And it was a nice house.

Count me out on a new truck for the rest of my life. Just absolutely insane price for a gasser HD with a basic trim package.

I'm super interested in that 7.3. I'm excited to see what comes out of it over the next 4 years. DOHC VS push rod. Exciting.

As for prices, I don't know how your truck is built, but I guessed and got the price within ~5k of your 2016 truck (35k vs 42k). ~$1,600 of that is inflation. And the Ford bakes-in more add-on's; power windows $ - sorry gotta add x,y,z as well, for extra $$$. Too many yuppie whales buying trucks, who don't need truck.

For conversations sake; if you paid $35,000 in 1980; you actually paid $107,657.28 in 2018's dollars.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm super interested in that 7.3. I'm excited to see what comes out of it over the next 4 years. DOHC VS push rod. Exciting.

As for prices, I don't know how your truck is built, but I guessed and got the price within ~5k of your 2016 truck (35k vs 42k). ~$1,600 of that is inflation. And the Ford bakes-in more add-on's; power windows $ - sorry gotta add x,y,z as well, for extra $$$. Too many yuppie whales buying trucks, who don't need truck.

For conversations sake; if you paid $35,000 in 1980; you actually paid $107,657.28 in 2018's dollars.

It i went to look for the same truck I have today and it was $42,000 i would not buy it. That is to much.

JMO

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's UCL ?

I've been running Shell gas for a long time.

Is it bad?
It i went to look for the same truck I have today and it was $42,000 i would not buy it. That is to much.

JMO

yeah well imagine you wanted a Ford that model, lol.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
yeah well imagine you wanted a Ford that model, lol.

Yup, i hear ya. In 2016 if I bought a crew cab/6 foot bed/4x4/F-250 XLT with the 6.2 gasser it was going to be $7,000 MORE .....than my 3500SRW/crew cab/8 foot bed/Tradesman/4x4/with the 6.4

So i bet the $$ difference is even grater now.

If I had to buy one today my ass would be buying a used “fixer-uper” or something like that.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^That is a fact. When you make a dollar to dollar, feature/equipment to feature/equipment comparison, RAM comes out with a lower price. As you compare the higher end models, the difference declines but RAM is still cheaper. Also, RAM dealers "tend" to discount more. Some believe that the reason we see this lower average cost in our trucks, is the manufacturing cost is lower. Others believe it reflects the 3rd place sales position that haunts the brand.
I believe it is the lower cost to produce. FCA finds kids in China and Bangladesh who can make cams out of soup cans for $1.19 including shipping. Fitz

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^That is a fact. When you make a dollar to dollar, feature/equipment to feature/equipment comparison, RAM comes out with a lower price. As you compare the higher end models, the difference declines but RAM is still cheaper. Also, RAM dealers "tend" to discount more. Some believe that the reason we see this lower average cost in our trucks, is the manufacturing cost is lower. Others believe it reflects the 3rd place sales position that haunts the brand.
I believe it is the lower cost to produce. FCA finds kids in China and Bangladesh who can make cams out of soup cans for $1.19 including shipping. Fitz

Every brand has its weak point. Dodge is no different. But I’d rather pay 1.19 for the soup can with a dodge label than a 2.19 for one with a bow tie or ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The real question is if they were priced the same would you buy the Mopar? I have to say I would, I test drove the Ford and will never buy a new chevy again long story, and between Ford and Ram the Ram drove way better. Coil back suspension makes these trucks feel like cars. The Ford drove like a dump truck. Despite their weaknesses, it may be fact that 4 gen rams will be the best pickups ever built. The rfe is buildable, the suspension is very comfortable and capable, the tech is beatable and reversible, mostly easy deletes especially if you have the rfe, it is just one well built truck imo. If I could have built it, the only thing I would do different is leave mds out, put a solid axle in the front, maybe a different engine like an old 351c or 351w (yes I know that is a Ford engine) , and I would have got the 6 speed as it is way better then the 5 speed I ended up with. I have zero love for the new trucks and I think 4 gens are better then old school trucks. We may hate some things about the 4 gens, but the good outweighs the bad. Maybe the new 2500's would still actually hit most of my box's, but they certainly messed up the new 1500's with insane tech.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was aiming at an F150 around the same price as my Big Horn. Regardless of if I could actually get that deal, I was just not happy with my F150 test drive. It felt like a tin can, the rear end wanted to go all over the place even over the slightest bump (leaf springs + weight savings = ....), etc.

It was FAST, but I would much rather have the solid feel of the RAM even if its slower and an "old" design.

I really wanted to like the F150 but I just couldnt do it. And I drove both trucks within 20 minutes of each other, so it wasnt like a "well I cant quite remember ...".

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my Ram used. Its a 13 1500 Laramie loaded. I was completely brand agnostic when I was looking. I had owned several chevys with 5.3L and they were all bullet proof. Zero power, but bullet proof. I went into this completely open minded. So i test drove everything. A couple friends told me I had to get the ecoboost. Best everything. Ever. Ever. Huge fan boys. So I test drove the 3.5 and the 5.0 back to back and the same dealer. Was not impressed. The 3.5 was out hands down. Did not like that at all. The 5.0 was a contender. The same dealer had 2 rams with 5.7L. One loaded one bare bones. Drove them both and came back with a smile on my face both times. They just drove well. They were comfortable, plenty of pep, and smooth. The fords felt loose in the steering and like riding a 2x4 over any bumps. And the chevy's were meh. Nothing to write home about and not comparable price vs miles/year. I just felt like the Ram ticked all the boxes better than the others for the age and mileage I was looking at. But yes, if all three cost the same I would still have to Ram as the more I drive it the more it stands out as the nicest truck I've driven.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there was no raptor around I would probably buy the ram for a greater discount then I would be able to buy a ford.
I think ram discounts to gain market share so they are willing to work for less $$ to make sales and the manufacture is willing to put rebates out there to get thier trucks into buyers hands. Here JB Michigan there are a ton of rams and just as many fords. Chevy just does not impress me or is better in any way then the ram or ford in my opinion. My dad has a 17 Denali I had a 14 ram outdoorsman. I have a 19 ford now. But when I sat in the loaded 19 Laramie ram I was utterly impressed and wanted the ram interior and my ford raptor exterior. Can’t have it all I’m happy as can be with my ford, but still have lots of good things to say about the rams. I’m mostly a *** truck hater not an American truck hater haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is 7 years old this month and its a fairly loaded Bighorn with the premium cluster, 8.4 uconnect, heated seats/wheel, etc. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about all that crap breaking and costing a fortune to replace but *SO FAR* all of that stuff has worked perfectly since day one. I have friends and family that have had horror stories with the Ford and GM electronics and even the Toyota electronics. IMO Ram did a good job with making this stuff pretty reliable.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The real question is if they were priced the same would you buy the Mopar? I have to say I would, I test drove the Ford and will never buy a new chevy again long story, and between Ford and Ram the Ram drove way better. Coil back suspension makes these trucks feel like cars. The Ford drove like a dump truck. Despite their weaknesses, it may be fact that 4 gen rams will be the best pickups ever built. The rfe is buildable, the suspension is very comfortable and capable, the tech is beatable and reversible, mostly easy deletes especially if you have the rfe, it is just one well built truck imo. If I could have built it, the only thing I would do different is leave mds out, put a solid axle in the front, maybe a different engine like an old 351c or 351w (yes I know that is a Ford engine) , and I would have got the 6 speed as it is way better then the 5 speed I ended up with. I have zero love for the new trucks and I think 4 gens are better then old school trucks. We may hate some things about the 4 gens, but the good outweighs the bad. Maybe the new 2500's would still actually hit most of my box's, but they certainly messed up the new 1500's with insane tech.

What the heck is wrong with a “dump truck” like ride? [emoji3166]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Knowing everything I do now if I could do it all over again in 2016 I will probably order the same exact truck I have but with a manual transmission. I was kind of stuck and had to get in a truck in a hurry so I did not have time to order.

Or possibly a chassis cab crew cab long bed.

With Everything we know about these they really are not that bad. There are some things about them that are absolutely terrible but it’s like that with all of the new vehicle.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What the heck is wrong with a “dump truck” like ride? [emoji3166]

If I had to deal with a dump truck ride I'm almost certain my spine would finish off its revolt and find a way to leave my body or finish me off for good lol. If I ever have the need to replace the 1500 with an HD it's for sure going to be one of the new 2500 6.4 A8's with the coil springs and another set of King shocks.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The real question is if they were priced the same would you buy the Mopar?

Without a doubt. Reason being that I had already been screwed, glued, and tatooed by Ferd and Gimmick Motors multiple times. It was after Lemon Lawing my '04 Chebby that I bought my '05 CTD, and it was a great truck. Are they perfect? HELL no! But I am on my third Dodge(had to throw that in there)and am pleased, especially when you factor the Cummins in.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Did you sell your Ram? Thought I remember you saying you were going to sell it and just drive your Chevy now.

Yes, I sold my Ram. I bought a new '19 Chevy Crew Cab Trail Boss a couple months ago and it feels like I'm back at home. I liked my Ram, but I love my Chevy. It's also the least expensive new vehicle I have ever purchased. It's fairly stripped down and doesn't have a lot of the things I'm used to, but it's kind of refreshing to keep it simple. They all make great products these days... they'd be out of business instead of constantly increasing prices and sales if not.
Trail Boss.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357