Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I tried a 20-500 (Small diameter, more length) and it hit the front sway bar on my '20 1500. I never could wiggle it in there.
The 20-820 was TiGht but it fit on the 1500. It also increased the oil pressure a bit.

This Wix 57060xp looks like a lawn mower filter, and on a 6.4L ! I have (4) RP 20-820 on the way, and may change out the small Wix pretty early.
I updated my post to clarify it was a 2500. My bad. Even at that, I have a couple friends who ran the SRT filter on 1500s. Definitely different animal with the steering rack and sway bar arrangement.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
I tried a 20-500 (Small diameter, more length) and it hit the front sway bar on my '20 1500. I never could wiggle it in there.
The 20-820 was TiGht but it fit on the 1500. It also increased the oil pressure a bit.

This Wix 57060xp looks like a lawn mower filter, and on a 6.4L ! I have (4) RP 20-820 on the way, and may change out the small Wix pretty early.
I use the Wix 57060XP on my wife's Jeep Compass 2.4L 4 cylinder...I sure wouldn't use one on my 5.7L Hemi, lol!

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I use the Wix 57060XP on my wife's Jeep Compass 2.4L 4 cylinder...I sure wouldn't use one on my 5.7L Hemi, lol!

Just changed the oil and the Wix is the exact same size as the used Mopar filter. It wont be on there long.
About to top it off and drive it a bit.

Judging by eye, the RP 20-820 is too large diameter, and the RP 20-500 is the right size. Ill exchange what I ordered once I know for sure.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A question that may have already been asked and answered.

Would using 5 quarts of PUP 5w30 and one quart of Mobil 1 Racing oil be beneficial to wear? Here are the Mobil 1 specs on ZDDP.

Mobil 1 Racing™ 0W-30 Phosphorus -1770 Zinc -1940

ZDDP is quite high on the single quart, but diluted by 5 quarts of PUP should bring the numbers to a more reasonable number.

Is this reasonable, unnecessary, or totally not a good idea?

By the way. I found a great oil channel on youtube. It's probably been mentioned or linked, but I haven't seen it before. Lake Speed Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/@themotoroilgeek

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Would using 5 quarts of PUP 5w30 and one quart of Mobil 1 Racing oil be beneficial to wear? Here are the Mobil 1 specs on ZDDP.

ZDDP is quite high on the single quart, but diluted by 5 quarts of PUP should bring the numbers to a more reasonable number.

By the way. I found a great oil channel on youtube. It's probably been mentioned or linked, but I haven't seen it before. Lake Speed Jr.

There was a video where guys were touring the HPL factory and one thing they said: don't mix oils or use additives because you can throw the formula out and make one or more aspects of it worse.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

The magic additive from member experiments is MoDTC (Moly), not ZDDP (zinc).

Therefore, one can consider using a moderate to high quality baseline oil stock such as PUP, then spike it with LubeGard to get sufficient MoDTC additive to protect the valve lifter's rollers and cams.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Beneficial to general wear yes in theory, beneficial to what plagues hemi not so much. zddp is easy sacrificial and repopulates just as easy. Moly forms a plate only after extreme pressure and wont repopulate as easy. The hemi does have two issues though, one of high general wear iron and copper plus it has a weakness we all know about. So yeah in theory it is sound, just perhaps short sided if that oil moly is average, which we don't know, maybe it isnt? You need to post moly count for a complete answer. I would likely be of the opinion it is beneficial mainly because modern oils are so sparce and thin. The fact is manu's already ruined shelf oils from what they can be.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd suggest a list of common oils with % Moly, but these guys keep changing things so fast it would be incorrect the moment it was published.

One of the reasons I just posted a VOA for PUP 5W-20, bottles dated 11/2023. If there is contrary data on this oil we will know it, at least until it is changed again.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'd suggest a list of common oils with % Moly, but these guys keep changing things so fast it would be incorrect the moment it was published.
Mobil 1 racing has been consistent since it came out in like 2004 or so. Its only 0w30 and 0w50. All pao and a smidge of ANs. Loaded with moly and zddp

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Mobil 1 racing has been consistent since it came out in like 2004 or so. Its only 0w30 and 0w50. All pao and a smidge of ANs. Loaded with moly and zddp

Yeah but Mobil 1 has a dozen different varieties so who can keep anything straight?

Why Mobil 1 Racing and Mobil 1 European full saps?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah but Mobil 1 has a dozen different varieties so who can keep anything straight?

Why Mobil 1 Racing and Mobil 1 European full saps?
I agree its confusing but mobil 1 racing is a track only oil. I believe the 0w30 is run alot in nascar. Im sure they also blend custom oils for different teams

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I agree its confusing but mobil 1 racing is a track only oil. I believe the 0w30 is run alot in nascar. Im sure they also blend custom oils for different teams
I'm "sure" they use two weights, one for qualifying and one for the race. I don't think there is much chance using 0w30 for a race, temps and loads are too high for too long. But it sounds like a good choice for qualifying. A 0w30 would give decent protection for two laps but still protect the engine, my thinking is they would even try and go thinner if possible for qual. It makes a ton of sense to use that for qualifying which is a pretty important part for racing.

Just a guess on my part,

Nascar is so secretive I would doubt any team wouldnt even tell you, lol.

I miss the days when every team that could would change their engine after practice. They were that worried that practice laps could have lessened the life of the engine to survive the race. Every single race on race day the top drivers had brand new engines. Anything is possible but with teams going to this extreme how could they opt for a thin oil that shreds to nothing in use? The engine change also had qualifying on them, so qual and practice. This put a rule saying you are starting in back of field now if you do this. Try to keep costs down was the reasoning, they also limit tires. I mean common give us a break, poor teams arent competing in nascar anymore, each car costs a fortune, they havent been stock for a long time.
Now that I think about, tight tolerances maybe thin is possible, or a least a goal.

What makes you think they use 0w30? Any paper? thanks

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Won't have to worry about what oil they use..."NASCAR To Debut Its EV Racecar At The Busch Light Clash"

View attachment 536149
Instant wow with that wing, I think they are trying to do something about passing. Last year it was impossible to pass someone out front. I'm not sure how this will fix it, seams like it will create more wash. The reason for this was going away from the spoiler and having the lower air dam. Are we heading towards indy cars now? I would think the answer would be clear, go back, but that isnt what nascar does. I thought the COT's while not flattering had really good racing true to the roots, lots of contact. Now with unibody's contact is back in style, but not sure what the wing will do about that.

Go back to big spoilers, nothing crazy no whale tails, just a 4 inch spoiler?

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Came across this youtube channel recently.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They tried a wing on the car of tomorrow, it didnt work, so they went back to spoiler, which was great. Early COT's wing, later ones spoiler.

Those wings are gonna create horrific accidents. The COT was almost boat like, could survive the wing with was a low wing. Now that wing up in the air like this, sum real dum isht. If you hate nascar, time to watch is now, they gonna kill someone. No deaths top series for more then 20 years, back then 3 deaths one year, petty and earnhard amoung them. this is gonna be bad you heard it here first.

On January 15, 2010, Cup Series director John Darby informed teams that NASCAR would transition back to the spoiler, to increase downforce and prevent airborne accidents the rear wing was believed to cause. The problem was one guy won every championship with early COT, lol. But after they went with the spoiler, jimmy only had one championship I believe. Then the went away from COT, then the man won another one the next year, lol? No doubt those were great years for nascar other then the fact one guy won the championships, when they went back to spoiler, jimmy won way less, hard core drivers stewart brad k won titles. Then for some reason they retired COT = bad move imo. Now we gonna call indy light?

These cars had great racing, 2011 COT...

Brad_Keselowski_Pocono_2011.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Won't have to worry about what oil they use..."NASCAR To Debut Its EV Racecar At The Busch Light Clash"

View attachment 536149
so is this correct or is this? That wing is simply crazy if they even think about it.

If the second one is correct, that will be a good fix, all they did was raise spoiler from 2 inches to 4, which is really good for quality of racing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat