Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I watched the video. What I'm saying, if you have a of the lesser 1/2 gallon or more chain oil, and happen to have some Lucas, put some Lucas in the bar oil. It will help the oil out with wear.

The truth is, most home owners will never wear a bar out unless they have a lot of land with trees and heat with wood. And, unless they hit the ground with the running chain, they will wear out very few chains.

I'm still on the factory bar on my mid 1980's saw, and I have cut a good bit of wood with it.

Heck, I've seen many saws come into my shop with used motor oil in the oil tank. I don't recommend it, but people did it.

I'm sure today's bar oils don't work as well as they did 20 years ago. It seems nothing does.

In my experience, most overheated and worn bars come from owners not cleaning the sawdust out of the bar and saw oiling hole, nor greasing the tip on roller tip bars. (if today's cheap products have bar tip greasing holes)

Gothcha. Yeah it's not so much the bar as the chain. Chain cutter slide and roller pin bearings. On the bigger saws, not the homeowner dinkers.
I think a chain for my Stihl 0460 runs around $40 or more. I always carry two in the woods, too.

And the oil cost, if you cut a lot. Stihl bar oil that doesnt lubricate for $25 a gallon vs. $10 a gallon for oil that does? Wtf

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
This just blows my frickin mind. I never paid any attention to it. I run app 4 gallons of gas a year on my 6 two cycle engines, so I probably couldn't really see the difference like pros do.

I ordered Amsoil Saber Professional 2 stroke. Don't know why they also have Dominator for 2 cycle motocross engines.

I have been using Amsoil Saber along with recreational gas mixed 50:1 in my 2 strokes (weed whip, hedge trimmer, back pack blowers (2) and chain saw) for years with excellent results.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gothcha. Yeah it's not so much the bar as the chain. Chain cutter slide and roller pin bearings. On the bigger saws, not the homeowner dinkers.
I think a chain for my Stihl 0460 runs around $40 or more. I always carry two in the woods, too.

And the oil cost, if you cut a lot. Stihl bar oil that doesnt lubricate for $25 a gallon vs. $10 a gallon for oil that does? Wtf
A logger i know quit using bar oil due to cost. Switched to hydraulic oil at 10 bucks a gallon and still gets the same life out of each bar

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A logger i know quit using bar oil due to cost. Switched to hydraulic oil at 10 bucks a gallon and still gets the same life out of each bar

The functional requirements of bar oil = hydraulic oil. I know that, but hydraulic oil is near $40 a gallon from what I see - not $10 a gallon bar oil.
The antiwear does all the waste oil lubrication- the base stock can be crap.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't bought a new chain in almost 20 years. I'm sure the quality of bar and chain steel has gone to crap like everything else has.

It's really disappointing and discouraging to know that most everything you buy is junk. My 20 year old range went out a month or so ago. No new circuit boards to be had. Most places said they couldn't fix mine because of the particular code it had.

After research, and talking to a couple of long time appliance sales people, they agreed that no new range would last near as long as mine had, and wouldn't probably get through the warranty. Finally found a company that fixed my board with a 2 year warranty, and it's working perfect again.

New washers, dryers, refrigerators, ect, are all the same - junk.

We are wanting to upgrade our 12 year old flat screen from 55" to 70". Well, very few 70" tvs are being made now, and the reviews are horrible on all brands across all price ranges. Even the sales people tell me the new ones will not give me 12 years of trouble free service.

The whole world is on a race to the bottom. Make cheap junk destined to fail, charge a high price, then sell you another when the new one quits...out of warranty.

When I was younger, I saw many 20-30 year old refrigerators and ranges around. People only bought new to get something bigger, or a different color.

It's disgusting...........

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep - this is the outsourcing of U.S. manufacturing, begun 40 years ago for maximum profits. Consumers be damned.

We are here in this Forum mostly to navigate this horrible product world as best we can. Red Line selling out to Phillips 66 was just another blow to this thread. I supposed it's only a matter of time before Amsoil sells out to a mega-corporation. Then we will have RollerBall for real.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

pretty uplifting story of american exceptionalism? Worked on the lines and now owns amsoil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
At half a gallon a day usage he just doesnt generate enough used oil
yeah I see, last time I bought chain lube it was something like 5-6 bucks a gallon, I see now it's 13 bucks. Usually I try and make that last a few years and thanks to my aggressiveness after 2016 rains I was able to take it easy for a for years. But the growth is back, gonna be an interesting spring.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Lost a whole bunch of mature Green Ash Trees because the Chinese invasive Emerald Ash Borer arrived on the winds. From untreated wood shipping pallets from China of all the crap we buy from them that we outsourced to them.

Isn't it grand? They sell us cheap crap, we lose our good jobs, and they destroy our environment to boot.
All good.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't bought a new chain in almost 20 years. I'm sure the quality of bar and chain steel has gone to crap like everything else has.

It's really disappointing and discouraging to know that most everything you buy is junk. My 20 year old range went out a month or so ago. No new circuit boards to be had. Most places said they couldn't fix mine because of the particular code it had.

After research, and talking to a couple of long time appliance sales people, they agreed that no new range would last near as long as mine had, and wouldn't probably get through the warranty. Finally found a company that fixed my board with a 2 year warranty, and it's working perfect again.

We are wanting to upgrade our 12 year old flat screen from 55" to 70". Well, very few 70" tvs are being made now, and the reviews are horrible on all brands across all price ranges. Even the sales people tell me the new ones will not give me 12 years of trouble free service.

The whole world is on a race to the bottom. Make cheap junk destined to fail, charge a high price, then sell you another when the new one quits...out of warranty.

When I was younger, I saw many 20-30 year old refrigerators and ranges around. People only bought new to get something bigger, or a different color.

We are the same in Australia. When I built our house 20 years ago, every appliance and white good was Australian made (Westinghouse). Spares were made and kept locally. Fridges, washer, drier, rangehoods, cooktop, oven, hot water system, dishwasher etc. Only imported thing was a crappy **** microwave. Guess what failed just out of the warranty period?
Today the only thing still made here is the oven. I just bought a replacement Australian Made oven as the last one is hard to get spares for. It still works, but all the text on the dials for temperature etc has worn off plus it is looking tired in general, and we are re-doing all of the kitchen doors.

Our cars are the same. We used to build Ford, Holden (GM), Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi (formerly Chrysler), Leyland, Hillman just to name a few. GMH used to build Pontiac, Chevrolet, Buick, Vauxhall, Bedford, Isuzu etc also. GMH used to export complete Australian made cars and also CKD packs to just about every right hand drive country in the world on every continent except Antarctica. They also used to do the same for some left hand drive countries, you'll even find GMH (Holden) cars in Hawaii. GMH had an assembly plant in Trinidad where they assembled CKD kits, the cars were for right hand drive Caribbean countries and the RHD countries in South America. There was about 70 export territories in the world for them. We were exporting GMH cars badged as Holden, Chevrolet, Isuzu, Mazda, Pontiac, Vauxhall just to name a few.
Now there isn't much left. Ford still do some design here. ASV (American Special Vehicles) remanufacture new Ram, Silverado, Camaro and Tundra for sale as new RHD cars for here and for the Saudis. They use some of the existing capability that remained in the aftermarket industry after Toyota, Ford and Holden pulled up manufacturing stumps about 7 years ago, to make complete RHD dash assemblies and other bolt or weld on conversion parts for them, much in the same fashion that a traditional auto industry operates. Just on a far smaller scale.

You guys might know it, maybe not. What North Americans call the 5th gen Pontiac GTO was an Australian made car, was basically a Holden Monaro re-designed for LHD for sale in North America. Same with the Chevrolet SS 2013 to 2013 and the Pontiac G8 2007 to 2009, they were both simply LHD Holden Commodore SS with a few tweaks like the nose on the Pontiac. Both built here.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
We are the same in Australia. When I built our house 20 years ago, every appliance and white good was Australian made (Westinghouse). Spares were made and kept locally. Fridges, washer, drier, rangehoods, cooktop, oven, hot water system, dishwasher etc. Only imported thing was a crappy **** microwave. Guess what failed just out of the warranty period?
Today the only thing still made here is the oven. I just bought a replacement Australian Made oven as the last one is hard to get spares for. It still works, but all the text on the dials for temperature etc has worn off plus it is looking tired in general, and we are re-doing all of the kitchen doors.

Our cars are the same. We used to build Ford, Holden (GM), Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi (formerly Chrysler), Leyland, Hillman just to name a few. GMH used to build Pontiac, Chevrolet, Buick, Vauxhall, Bedford, Isuzu etc also. GMH used to export complete Australian made cars and also CKD packs to just about every right hand drive country in the world on every continent except Antarctica. They also used to do the same for some left hand drive countries, you'll even find GMH (Holden) cars in Hawaii. GMH had an assembly plant in Trinidad where they assembled CKD kits, the cars were for right hand drive Caribbean countries and the RHD countries in South America. There was about 70 export territories in the world for them. We were exporting GMH cars badged as Holden, Chevrolet, Isuzu, Mazda, Pontiac, Vauxhall just to name a few.
Now there isn't much left. Ford still do some design here. ASV (American Special Vehicles) remanufacture new Ram, Silverado, Camaro and Tundra for sale as new RHD cars for here and for the Saudis. They use some of the existing capability that remained in the aftermarket industry after Toyota, Ford and Holden pulled up manufacturing stumps about 7 years ago, to make complete RHD dash assemblies and other bolt or weld on conversion parts for them, much in the same fashion that a traditional auto industry operates. Just on a far smaller scale.

You guys might know it, maybe not. What North Americans call the 5th gen Pontiac GTO was an Australian made car, was basically a Holden Monaro re-designed for LHD for sale in North America. Same with the Chevrolet SS 2013 to 2013 and the Pontiac G8 2007 to 2009, they were both simply LHD Holden Commodore SS with a few tweaks like the nose on the Pontiac. Both built here.
Still build some Mack trucks in OZ, right?

Attachments

• 1972_-_Mack_Trucks_World_Headquarters_3_Allentown_PA.jpg
    1972_-_Mack_Trucks_World_Headquarters_3_Allentown_PA.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 6

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine

Holden is a bad___ a.z....z vehicle!
I've seen a few insane Holden vehicles here in Canada just rip it up at the track!

I also commend Auzie-land for their policies ;)
F_...--around & find out :)
Adopt or g.t.f.o.... js ;)

Let's vote "None of The Above" and RF Crew will govern North American policy moving forward!!!

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not for engine oils. But seeing this is a synthetic oil thread, albeit for Ram engines, here's the very recent Project Farm tests for 6 chainsaw bar and chain oils. The guy actually uses one industry standard wear test that is shocking. The most expensive dedicated bar and chain oils have ZERO anti wear additives! wtf? As the cutting tests show, you'd be better off using a detergent engine oil than an expensive name brand bar and chain oil!
No wonder my chains wear so fast using Stihl bar and chain oil! It's the opposite performance you expect!

He didn't test Amsoil Bar and Chain Oil, I just bought a gallon of it when I ordered their 2 cycle engine oil. I got a gallon of Stihl bar and chain saw left. Think I'll dump it on the burn pile!

I tried the Amsoil Bar & Chain oil on my pole saw, its good stuff. It came with a quart of no name bar and chain oil and I had to turn up the flow almost to max or it would start smoking after heavy use. Poured in some Amsoil B&C and I was able to turn down the flow a bit and have yet to see it smoke like that. Definitely using that from now on.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yep, I used to work for the cable company starting in 2007 and the quality of TVs has gone right down the $h!tter. Most new tvs are good for 5 years before something goes bad in them. The new ones are legit junk. Yet I saw a Sony Trinitron from the 1980s that was still working perfectly in 2021.

Same with appliances, average life of the typical appliance is 5-7 years. Its pathetic.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I tried the Amsoil Bar & Chain oil on my pole saw, its good stuff. It came with a quart of no name bar and chain oil and I had to turn up the flow almost to max or it would start smoking after heavy use. Poured in some Amsoil B&C and I was able to turn down the flow a bit and have yet to see it smoke like that. Definitely using that from now on.

Thanks for data point. If I was a pro, I'd get Harvest King for near as good performance. I cut more than a homeowner but much less than the pros.

This came today - I walk my talk:

20240131_184457.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yep, I used to work for the cable company starting in 2007 and the quality of TVs has gone right down the $h!tter. Most new tvs are good for 5 years before something goes bad in them. The new ones are legit junk. Yet I saw a Sony Trinitron from the 1980s that was still working perfectly in 2021.

Same with appliances, average life of the typical appliance is 5-7 years. Its pathetic.
I had an old tv that I sold on craigslist. Check this out, certain gamers apparently love the old tv's and if your old tv is good condition, they are now worth more then when you bought them, lol? There is a certain tv the large bulky ones that you can opt for digital or old style I forget what that is called. The guy I sold it to was so excited to find one, I felt like he was gonna circle jerk me. Dude I'm from califonia but not that california.

Analog (that's it right?) beat machines you used to be able to get used ones dirty cheap now are ten grand.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat