Tailgate Security...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't take the credit for this since the guy at Line-X spraying my bed suggested it. Apparently, even with the automatic tailgate locking after you lock your doors, thieves around here are still swiping tailgates according to him. I know they make locks to keep this from happening but one inexpensive trick I did was to put a standard clamp (had several of these laying around the garage) on the tailgate hinge as a deterrent. It might not stop the professional but it will surely trip up an amature not expecting it.. Just wanted to pass it along.

a>

bostoncarp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't take the credit for this since the guy at Line-X spraying my bed suggested it. Apparently, even with the automatic tailgate locking after you lock your doors, thieves around here are still swiping tailgates according to him. I know they make locks to keep this from happening but one inexpensive trick I did was to put a standard clamp (had several of these laying around the garage) on the tailgate hinge as a deterrent. It might not stop the professional but it will surely trip up an amature not expecting it.. Just wanted to pass it along.

a>

:waytogo:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm... never thought of that. Nice idea!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one on my truck, Won't prevent it from being stolen but certainly cause a delay.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure to use an over size one too. So they would have to unscrew more

OP
OP
R

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one on my truck, Won't prevent it from being stolen but certainly cause a delay.

Exactly! Unless you are carrying around a screwdriver with you, this will definitely slow things down a bit.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This works great, but I'd suggest turning the clamp to wear you'd have to tighten it through the small gap under the truck between the bumper and bed.

I know it's a tight spot, but makes it harder for someone else.

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pardon my ignorance, but are tailgate thefts a real thing? ive never heard of that before. ive never had a need to take my tailgate off so i dont really know how it attaches, but what's the clamp going to do to slow down a thief?

Awastatyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pardon my ignorance, but are tailgate thefts a real thing? ive never heard of that before. ive never had a need to take my tailgate off so i dont really know how it attaches, but what's the clamp going to do to slow down a thief?

With a lot of trucks having backup cameras in them. People are stealing them for quick $$. I have also heard that some guy had his tailgate switched out because the other guy dented his and drove around till he found a truck that matched his.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
With a lot of trucks having backup cameras in them. People are stealing them for quick $$. I have also heard that some guy had his tailgate switched out because the other guy dented his and drove around till he found a truck that matched his.
Wow what a **** bag! That's almost worse than just taking it

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My father-in-law had his stolen about 5 years ago. Bare-bones GMC with no camera. First I had ever heard of this sort of thing.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you priced a tailgate? Up to $850
They are easy to dent and very easy to steal...
My father-in-law had his stolen about 5 years ago. Bare-bones GMC with no camera. First I had ever heard of this sort of thing.
They used to not even make locking tailgates at all. I was surprised when I hit the door lock button on my truck and heard the tailgate lock. I had to put a master lock on my old 66 C10 for security.