Take 2 Minutes and Check Your Fuses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee was giving her intermitent electrical issues. While I was filling the washer fluid and checking the oil I opened up the fuses block in the engine compartment. Started pressing down lightly on the fuses in there. About half of them seated further and clicked into place. Since then no more gremlins. Had not had any Gremlins on my pickup but decided to check anyhow, so did the same on my 2500, same result. About half the fuses were not completely seated. Whatever method they use to load those fuse blocks does not result in all the fuses being fully engaged.

Takes two minutes to check, well worth doing in my books as these new vehicles have enough electrical issues to start with.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All 3 trucks in my sig had that. There were a few electrical gremlins that were solved by seating the fuses properly in the 6.4 (inoperable dome lights, 4wd push button).

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I am going to check my fuses tomorrow. I keep getting a "brake light out" message even though all rear lights are working properly. Hope this fixes it.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee was giving her intermitent electrical issues. While I was filling the washer fluid and checking the oil I opened up the fuses block in the engine compartment. Started pressing down lightly on the fuses in there. About half of them seated further and clicked into place. Since then no more gremlins. Had not had any Gremlins on my pickup but decided to check anyhow, so did the same on my 2500, same result. About half the fuses were not completely seated. Whatever method they use to load those fuse blocks does not result in all the fuses being fully engaged.

Takes two minutes to check, well worth doing in my books as these new vehicles have enough electrical issues to start with.
I learned that 3yrs ago on this form. Several of the fuses were not all the he way down on my 2021 Ram . Always check them

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for speaking up, most of mine were only partly seated too.

I've only experienced two gremlin mysteries and only one of them kept repeating sporadically.

My heated steering wheel would occasionally shut off. I thought it just decided it was too warm outside or some other irregular logical (or illogical) configuration had been satisfied with other switch positions.

And on 1 or 2 occasions only, the entire EVIC locked up and wouldn't tell me anything besides, channel 1 failed to initialize. AFAIR, the last time it happened, I fixed that by pressing a HomeLink button.

I'm curious to see if my heated steering wheel quits again or if when I check the fuses in the near future, they've moved away from being fully seated again.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I am going to check my fuses tomorrow. I keep getting a "brake light out" message even though all rear lights are working properly. Hope this fixes it.
did you check your cab third brake light that happened to me in my 2014

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
First thing I did when I bought my PW was check this and sure enough everyone of my fuses were only partially seated, crazy that’s like that.

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good call Dean. almost all my fuses were not fully seated, 2019 3500

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad this post is helping so many guys. Would be very interested to hear if anyone checked theirs and actually found them all seated correctly. So far, everyone of my buddies that have checked this found 50% or more not fully seated.

I am going to wait a couple of months and recheck to see if they loosen off over time, but I really doubt they will. They seem to click into place pretty decisively.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked my 19' and a bunch weren't fully seated too. Thanks for this PSA!

The other thing I do, and have done on all of my vehicles over the decades is to use Krown spray and coat all the fuses in the fuse box, and then all the connectors and wiring under the fuse box too.

Some may think this could cause issues because of a fluid coming into contact with the fuses and connectors, but not so. Never in my vehicle ownership has there ever been an issue doing this.

I have seen and heard of so many under-hood fuse boxes (especially the Chevy/GMC) having huge corrosion issues and subsequent electrical issues from the fuzzy green and white coats developing over time and wreaking havoc.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Just checked my 19' and a bunch weren't fully seated too. Thanks for this PSA!

The other thing I do, and have done on all of my vehicles over the decades is to use Krown spray and coat all the fuses in the fuse box, and then all the connectors and wiring under the fuse box too.

Some may think this could cause issues because of a fluid coming into contact with the fuses and connectors, but not so. Never in my vehicle ownership has there ever been an issue doing this.

I have seen and heard of so many under-hood fuse boxes (especially the Chevy/GMC) having huge corrosion issues and subsequent electrical issues from the fuzzy green and white coats developing over time and wreaking havoc.
Never used Crown but have used WD40 and dielectric silicone spray on fuse boxes and connectors. Also on battery cables to keep them from corroding. Now I only use wd40 if there is water I want to displace, it attracts too much grit and gets really tacky over time. The silicone works much better.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad this post is helping so many guys. Would be very interested to hear if anyone checked theirs and actually found them all seated correctly. So far, everyone of my buddies that have checked this found 50% or more not fully seated.

I am going to wait a couple of months and recheck to see if they loosen off over time, but I really doubt they will. They seem to click into place pretty decisively.
Just checked and as far as I can tell, all good, maybe 1 moved. There is the possibility that I checked them when I first got the truck cause this thread was posted a few years ago, but BOIRD just brain dead, lol.