Take the Pepsi Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Rams are going to be cheaper than they usually are in the short term because they're clearing out the 4th to make room for the 5th. I'm hearing rumours of a ram classic so I have to think they have parts agreements or so many parts stockpiled they have to extend production to clear out that inventory as well.

The ram classic is a real deal, i have been waiting to buy a emblem to slap it on my truck, and voila i got me a 19 classic!!!!!!!

Also its going to be weird because its not just "fleet vehicles" such as regular cabs, they are going to make every cab available and almost all trim models - not just express/tradesmen.

I think its a way for ram to increase their potential buyers market. I also think the release of the 19 4th gen classic will devalue all other 4th gens.... but we will see what the msrp will be for them.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The ram classic is a real deal, i have been waiting to buy a emblem to slap it on my truck, and voila i got me a 19 classic!!!!!!!

Also its going to be weird because its not just "fleet vehicles" such as regular cabs, they are going to make every cab available and almost all trim models - not just express/tradesmen.

I think its a way for ram to increase their potential buyers market. I also think the release of the 19 4th gen classic will devalue all other 4th gens.... but we will see what the msrp will be for them.
You may be correct and my theory may be incorrect, but I know manufacturers outsource a lot of parts production and the higher the volume they commit to the lower their cost. It's a bit of a gamblers game as if you estimate higher sales numbers and negotiate on those numbers and come up short you have a surplus of parts to get rid of, but if you estimate low and you need more your unit cost is higher. My second theory is more of the conspiracy nature based on the assembly quality of my newest ram. If you have a bunch of union employees that don't care about product quality and you build a new factory nearby and close the other one you have to give those senior employees first crack at the jobs in the new factory. Hire some fresh blood and cherry pick a few of the good employees to work at the new factory while keeping the others building classic rams long enough for there to be no new openings for them on the new trucks and problem solved? Bit far fetched perhaps, but is it?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yep the closing of the Vin 3 plant and $1B build out in of the 2500 plant in Warren right next door to the 1500 plant is intriguing. New CEO. 5 year business plan. That no one has yet heard. And sales continue to increase while the financial media says there is a lack of focus at FCA. Hope they are wrong. I so believe the 2500 assembly quality will be better once the Warren plant gets humming.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody previously said that RAM was discounting the 4th gens to make room for the 5th gens.........RAM has had fantastic discounts for years before we could even get vague drawings of what the 5th gen looks like. $10K off MSRP goes back to at least when I bought my 2015 RAM. I think when I bought my two GM trucks I got like invoice price plus $3K in rebates off both times. My 2013 F150 XLT crewcab 3.5Eco stickered around $36K, don't remember what the rebates were because I had equity in a trade in but it would be very similar to the 2018 I mentioned in a previous post and the MSRP on the truck was $52 or $53K. So the new ones are $16-17K better 5 years on.......I bet RAMS pricing only went up by half that much at most. GM forget it! That new Silverado is f....king hideous!

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You may be correct and my theory may be incorrect, but I know manufacturers outsource a lot of parts production and the higher the volume they commit to the lower their cost. It's a bit of a gamblers game as if you estimate higher sales numbers and negotiate on those numbers and come up short you have a surplus of parts to get rid of, but if you estimate low and you need more your unit cost is higher. My second theory is more of the conspiracy nature based on the assembly quality of my newest ram. If you have a bunch of union employees that don't care about product quality and you build a new factory nearby and close the other one you have to give those senior employees first crack at the jobs in the new factory. Hire some fresh blood and cherry pick a few of the good employees to work at the new factory while keeping the others building classic rams long enough for there to be no new openings for them on the new trucks and problem solved? Bit far fetched perhaps, but is it?
I don't know what your first hand knowledge of the inner workings of an auto plant or any other union operation is but your statement is very broad in respects to union employees and very offensive. You have probably heard stories of the antics of a few people which are good entertainment but do not represent the majority of union employees. Just like the majority of posts here are complaints about Ram trucks but you never hear from the millions of owners who are totally satisfied. Proud Teamster here by the way.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your first hand knowledge of the inner workings of an auto plant or any other union operation is but your statement is very broad in respects to union employees and very offensive. You have probably heard stories of the antics of a few people which are good entertainment but do not represent the majority of union employees. Just like the majority of posts here are complaints about Ram trucks but you never hear from the millions of owners who are totally satisfied. Proud Teamster here by the way.
I agree with everything you said and have no problem with unions just there foray into politics. My company is half and half with the electric side being union(IBEW) and gas being non union. I'm in the gas dept. and we could definitely use some representation because we're always getting ****** around by management but I'm not willing to sell my soul to the Democrat party for any amount of benefits or money. Of course none of that reflects negatively on the workers just the ones in charge.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This Ford versus Ram pricing and options is a common discussion not only in our truck group, but generally. Central Ca is considered Ram country. In our truck group of 32, 21 are Rams. 6 Fords and the rest GM. What people are saying is, you can cost compare a Ford to a Ram, "kinda" apples to apples, and get close on the MRSP. BUT, when you go to buy the Ford, the dealers are not willing to discount like the Ram dealers are. They seem to believe they have the superior truck. Some people think that the local Ford dealers have a secret "stand your ground" price agreement. Hard to believe that one. But what we have seen on the street over the last 10 years, is more new Rams, more GMC 2500 and fewer Fords.

Ideally, if the Big Three domestic makers were selling their vehicle correctly with proper supply to demand ratios and true pricing, they should not have to play with incentive BS game when selling their product.

When demand is high and supply is either just meeting or slightly below, incentives are less to none. The problem is he Big Three domestic makers way over produce and have to many days of supply on hand most times and they have to incentivize to move product. A lot of this issue has to do with their very inflexible Unionized factory labor pool and not being able to readily flex their staffing when demand ebbs and flows.

The Japanese manufacturers in general and those with plants in USA have this problem to a lesser degree. They incentivize way less and sell closer to MSRP more times than the Big Three domestic makers because they have the flexibility to not over supply for the real demand. Yet their profits per vehicle is way higher.

It is my opinion that RAM would not have nearly as much sales as they do now if not for their heavy incentivizing.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Great points. I would rather have a vehicle made by union labor which is someone who is earning a living wage and has decent benefits rather than someone who has to work a second job to make ends meet and would be more likely to make mistakes. Proud chapter president here.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I apologize if I have offended union members as a whole as that was not my intent. It was a conspiracy theory and of course I assume the new plant will be union as I believe all north American plants are and have no issue with that. I have first hand experience as an ex union member/ growing up with a step dad who was a good man and a shop steward in a union steel shop and with friends and companies I've done contract work for that were union. Most shops are great and full of good employees, but I've seen first hand and management surely plays a hand in not intervening while they still can a culture of laziness and abuse of the rights they are given can take hold in a shop and it's very hard to undo it once it takes hold. So my conspiracy theory is that they're in an overcomplicated fashion trying to get rid of the employees causing that culture and retaining their best and brightest to steer a group of new union employees in a better direction to produce the highest quality product they're capable of.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am not so interested in why the price is what it is, just on what the price is :)

I only have access to what is local, I'm just wondering if anyone out there in merica has any ad pricing on Ford or Chevy anywhere near what Ram sells trucks for, or is it the fact Ram simply sells better **** for less.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am not so interested in why the price is what it is, just on what the price is :)

I only have access to what is local, I'm just wondering if anyone out there in merica has any ad pricing on Ford or Chevy anywhere near what Ram sells trucks for, or is it the fact Ram simply sells better **** for less.
I seem to be responsible for taking things way off track. I'll try and pick up a local paper and see if I get lucky and the big3 are all represented and the advertised prices to get a basic idea where they're at at the moment.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
n

no offense but being a bleeding hearted Ram guy, i could never and will never help someone buy a ford. youre saying youre loooking because you might buy a ford. thats like blasphemy in my opinion on a ram forum. but hey maybe im just on another level of ram obsessed. Ive been obsessed since i was a child and the movie twister came out and that gorgeous brand new 2500 red magnum V10 drove into that tornado and saved everyone and I just have been a bleeding ram guy since then. and i was only 5 then.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better a Ford that GM as far as I’m concerned. I love GM muscle cars and the older gen Silverado but’s that’s about it. Their quality on the newer stuff sucks.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
n

no offense but being a bleeding hearted Ram guy, i could never and will never help someone buy a ford. youre saying youre loooking because you might buy a ford. thats like blasphemy in my opinion on a ram forum. but hey maybe im just on another level of ram obsessed. Ive been obsessed since i was a child and the movie twister came out and that gorgeous brand new 2500 red magnum V10 drove into that tornado and saved everyone and I just have been a bleeding ram guy since then. and i was only 5 then.
I'll have to watch that movie again. Didn't notice the ram. Too busy checking out Helen Hunt lol. Sorry @Burla back off track again. Short attention span. I blame the Internet and breakfast beer.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is a voluntary activity with some fun injected into the situation, no need to get all your panties bunched up over it :)

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I had heard that Ram is trying to maintain market share by discounting '18 trucks, while they wait for the other engines to clear governmental crap. I addition to what BWL aid above. All great reasons for us to same $$$$:pepper:

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
dang now you guys got me doing it, depressing.

We are in a truck pricing war, apparently Ford and Chevy didn't get the memo, lol. I mean I might buy a Ford if they were similar pricing, but when when the closest I'm gonna get it is 10 grand away from Ram, a great truck all on it's own, easy choice? I bought 3 modern chevy's one was a legal lemon and all 3 had moldy air conditioners. I wouldn't buy a chevy for free. This spells it out...

stores are offering discounts of up to $12,000 on the 2018 Ford F-150, which remains the best-selling vehicle in the country, recording more than 80,000 sales in May.

Discounts run up to $13,000 on the 2018 Chevrolet Silverado and as high as $16,000 on the Ram 1500.

Average transaction prices for full-size pick-ups range from around $42,000 to $45,000, industry analysts and automakers say.

All three companies are spending furiously - GM and Fiat Chrysler to help sell off carryover 2018 trucks to prepare for redesigned 2019 models, and Ford to sustain its long-held sales crown.

A supplier fire that temporarily shut down production of the F-150 last month “changed the game,” said Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting at LMC Automotive in Troy, Michigan said.

The supply halt nudged Ford’s crosstown rivals “to ratchet up incentives on the current models to go after weakness at Ford,” he said.

Ford Motor Co9.58
F.NNEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE
+0.07(+0.74%)
chartsgen2?symbols=F.png
  • F.N
  • GM.N
  • FCHA.MI
Deals advertised on the companies’ official websites range from rebates and low-interest loans to ultra-cheap lease rates, but they are not telling the whole story.

Ford, for instance, advertises a $2,000 rebate and a $500 financing credit on sales of certain F-150 models.

But James Collins Ford in Louisville, Kentucky, is offering discounts of up to $12,215 on the 2018 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4.

The price cuts are even steeper at a number of GM and Fiat Chrysler dealers.

Quirk Chevrolet is selling the 2018 Silverado 1500 Double Cab at $13,000 off sticker. Gurnee Chrysler Dodge Ram Jeep outside Chicago is marking down the 2018 Ram 1500 Harvest Crew Cab 4x4 by up to $16,000.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There ya go, bottom line great time to buy a truck. Ram has deepest discounts and the actual price in comparison for apples to apples will be like 10 grand off Ford, I don't really care about the Chevy's other then general curiosity.

I don't know whether I would buy a Ford or not, this would be just to show up fr a test drive. I tested both ram and ford when I bought my ram, and it wasn't close ram's drive much better in 2010. likely it's the same now, but I wont find out because I'm not testing Ford when their numbers are so far off. I'm a big fan of not wasting my time.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So you say " in their top engines" but don't allow ecoboost. That IS Fords top F150 engine. The 450 hp version is in their Raptor from what I've seen. I think the badge says" Powered by Briggs & Stratton" :D

So you can buy engine parts at local Home Depot! Nice!

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box