Taking off the mechanical fan on 6.4 Hemi water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
6.4 Hemi's with a mechanical fan on the water pump, the big 36mm nut that connects the fan to the pulley is *left hand threaded*. If you are not aware of this it could cost you a lot of time and confusion. The Haynes manual does not mention it. Seems like this might be worth putting in a sticky thread or something?

I just took apart two 6.4 Hemi 2500's. One had the notches on the nut to let you know it was left hand threaded, and the other did not have the notches. They were both left hand threaded.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It is not hard to determine thread handing on the fan of any vehicle standing in front of vehicle rwd look at fan which direction does fan rotate to pull air through radiator left handed would be clockwise rotation standing in front of the vehicle which also means clockwise rotation to remove fan & Clutch reverse for right handed I always check first cause different vehicle mfg has water pump rotation that may be different so if fan is needed to be removed I check rotation for pulling air through done over 100 in the last 5 years

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Haynes Manuals are good to start camp fires.
I agree, I purchased a Haynes manual for my 2007 Quad Cab 1500. The manuals cover stated the manual covers 2002 - 2009 models. In actuality the manual goes up to 2005 models only. Most information carries over, but much of the information doesn't apply to my 2007. For me it was a complete waste of money. I now have a factory service manual, on my laptop, that is for my 2007 model.

2.JPG