Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AAHHHH, the perfect excuse to tell the wife why I have to take the bed off, well babe while I have it off might as well clean and paint frame to stop rust and might as well clean and paint underside of box for the same reason. got to protect the investment.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With all the rain we have had for almost two weeks straight I have noticed a small leak happening from somewhere.
My rear storage bins feel damp, plus I have noticed water damage to the insulation pad on the floor by the back wall.
Also my third brake light has a small amount of condensation in it with the warm weather lately.
Just ordered an oversize third brake light gasket, that should help alot. Luckily no headliner damage so far.
If that doesn't do it then I will order the new style cab vents

Fixjets1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having owned my 2015 Ram 1500 for 5+ years now with no issues I started noticing my windows being fogged up in the mornings and a slight musty smell. This was getting progressively worse when one day I raised my rear seat and discovered my storage compartments were 1/4 full of standing water. My immediate thoughts were rear side window/door seals leaking or not fully closed when raining but after a water hose test that was not the case. My Ram does not have a rear sliding window so ruled that out as well. Reaching under the rear seat all the way to the back wall I could feel water there as well.

I had heard about the Third Brake Light Leaks so decided to check that with a water hose and discovered fresh water coming in at the rear of the headliner on the right and left sides near the rear posts/seat belts behind the doors. I pulled the Third Brake Light and discovered the foam seal to be completely collapsed and old looking. I ordered an oversized replacement seal for it and after replacing it and running a water hose test did not have any water coming in as I had previously discovered at the headliner rear posts/seat belts.

Thinking all was good and having dried the carpet/padding under my rear seat I quit looking for leaks. Not long after the Third Brake Light Seal replacement we had a 2+ inch monsoon rainstorm. After it was over I went out to my truck and noticed the windows were fogged on the inside once again. I immediately thought it was the Third Brake Light Seal once again but upon inspection all was dry in the headliner and rear posts. I raised the rear seat and once again I had 2-3 inches of standing water in the storage compartments.

After doing a little research I learned about "Rear Cabin Vents" failing and allowing water to enter the interior behind/under the rear seat. I removed my rear seat and all the padding/carpet under/behind it. The amount of dampness was incredible. Upon inspecting the Rear Cabin Vents I discovered them to have both failed and missing multiple flaps allowing you to see outside and the front of the truck bed.

I ran a water hose on top of the truck cab and as the water ran down the rear window and down the back of the cab it was pouring in/around the two Cabin Vents like the "Titanic after striking the iceberg"... I pulled the vents and discovered even worse deterioration and failure. The outer seals were hard and split in multiple places, and the remaining vents flopped in the openings without being firmly seated. With the Vents removed I decided to tape a piece of clear plastic over the opening to show the amount of water flowing down and over the Vent area. I cannot believe that there is not any type of a shield/cover above the outside vent areas to divert water from these areas? A simple awning would go a long way in preventing water from entering the cab when or if the vent failed. Of course a better made vent is needed to completely seal the cabin from both water and dust.

To end this frustration release, I have ordered replacement Cabin Vents that are supposedly improved to prevent this from happening again. They have yet to arrive but once they do I will install and run a test. I have temporarily taped both Vent Openings up until I have the new Cabin Vents and will have to crack a window when closing doors or running the a/c or heater. I have not re-installed my rear seat, padding or carpet. Follow-up report to be posted after installation and test. Fingers Crossed.

View attachment 239182

View attachment 239183

View attachment 239185

Both mine need replaced. I was told you have to slide the bed back about a foot to replace them. Did you do that ?

adam ant

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel
Well was going to clean out rear cargo and found water at first thinking its rear window seal leak.
I wanted to be sure so I took the rear seat out to find the vents that I did not even know were there.
Thanks to this post will order new parts and see how long new vents will keep water out.
Thank you guys20210710_152237.jpg20210710_152611.jpg20210710_152237.jpg20210710_152611.jpg

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Luckily it turned out to be my chmsl gasket was bad. Had to replace all three led bulbs due to the water / condensation. Ordered a new gasket off ebay and had it in a couple of days. A little thicker but mastic on both sides, plus it was a nice hot day when it got put on. And two days later we have had rain, still dry. But I'm going to keep a look out for any other leaks

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well was going to clean out rear cargo and found water at first thinking its rear window seal leak.
I wanted to be sure so I took the rear seat out to find the vents that I did not even know were there.
Thanks to this post will order new parts and see how long new vents will keep water out.
Thank you guysView attachment 464433View attachment 464434View attachment 464433View attachment 464434
Were these replaced once before? They are backwards! The rubber has to flap out to let air out when door closes.
I just swapped mine to the new style and mine push in from the outside.

adam ant

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel
Cableman..Yes, you are right picture I posted shows them backward. I had removed them to get the part number reinstall to take pictures. Waiting for the new parts from Mopar
Thank you for the heads up:cheers:

NASAtrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000, 2017
Engine
5.2, 6cyl
Thank you guysView attachment 464433View attachment 464434View attachment 464433View attachment 464434
I just pulled mine out and added weatherstripping around the perimeter thinking that is where the water was coming in. After reinstalling, used a hose between bed and cab, and saw water coming in the damned flaps!! They all look in good shape - just a crappy design! What is this “new style” mentioned?! Going to see if I can put a large rubber flap over the whole damned thing.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would also like to know the part number for the new style. Just found out I have this problem in my 2019 Classic. Ridiculous to have an issue like this 1k miles past warranty lol.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would also like to know the part number for the new style. Just found out I have this problem in my 2019 Classic. Ridiculous to have an issue like this 1k miles past warranty lol.
Lol! 1k miles past your warranty? Try having a literally brand new 21 Ram that only has 1300 miles on the odometer and having a cab vent issue lol. The dealer misdiagnosed it and replaced the rear sliding window for no reason only to find out it was a cab vent leaking lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
BEC_C4A.jpgBEC_C2.jpg

These are scoops for boats

Beckson Vent-O-Mate C-2 Scoop​

& Beckson Vent-O-Mate Mini Clamshell

I wonder if something like these could be inverted over the top of the vents, if they are not too thick to fit between the cab & the bed

It would allow the pressure created by the doors closing to escape, while keeping water running down the cab from entering through the vents

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol! 1k miles past your warranty? Try having a literally brand new 21 Ram that only has 1300 miles on the odometer and having a cab vent issue lol. The dealer misdiagnosed it and replaced the rear sliding window for no reason only to find out it was a cab vent leaking lol

Sad how poor of a job dealerships do with diagnosing problems. I stopped taking my truck to the dealer cuz they always seem to create other problems or try to weasel out of repairs. Has definitely helped me learn to do my own work.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is there a "New style" vent but a '21 is still having the problem? I just got a '21 should I buy the new style vent to have on hand?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is there a "New style" vent but a '21 is still having the problem? I just got a '21 should I buy the new style vent to have on hand?
When they told me it was the vent that was leaking I asked them to show me the vent they took out when I pick the truck up. They did and said the actual seal was folded over which I believe to be true because I saw the crease in the rubber seal where it does look like it was folded over. I dont think it was the actual vent itself just a bad initial install at the factory.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sad how poor of a job dealerships do with diagnosing problems. I stopped taking my truck to the dealer cuz they always seem to create other problems or try to weasel out of repairs. Has definitely helped me learn to do my own work.
I'm the same way. I dont like bringing any of my vehicles in for service especially since I've been a mechanic for almost 30 years. Even if it's under warranty I will try to diagnose the problem before I take it in. The dealer/service department was genuinely concerned and took care of it quickly. They gave me a loaner upon the initial visit to get it fixed so I was not put out by the delay in getting my truck back. Again as a mechanic, I do understand that $h!t happens sometimes but they took care of it immediately so I wont knock that dealership just yet. It's a smaller dealer so it's a little more personable than others which I like so I'll take it back if or when more warranty issues pop up.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 476498View attachment 476499

These are scoops for boats

Beckson Vent-O-Mate C-2 Scoop​

& Beckson Vent-O-Mate Mini Clamshell

I wonder if something like these could be inverted over the top of the vents, if they are not too thick to fit between the cab & the bed

It would allow the pressure created by the doors closing to escape, while keeping water running down the cab from entering through the vents
I was actually thinking about doing something like this while going through my water leak issue but since the dealer took care of it and fixed it I havent been too concerned. I still will check under the seats after it rains though. Plus getting something those installed might be a pain in the @$$ because theres very little room to mess around in there

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to change out those vents on mine today. They started leaking recently. I assumed at first it was the brake light but when I pulled it out there was no evidence of water there. I then was able to use a hose on the rear and off course water coming in thru those vents.