Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamPart3.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having owned my 2015 Ram 1500 for 5+ years now with no issues I started noticing my windows being fogged up in the mornings and a slight musty smell. This was getting progressively worse when one day I raised my rear seat and discovered my storage compartments were 1/4 full of standing water. My immediate thoughts were rear side window/door seals leaking or not fully closed when raining but after a water hose test that was not the case. My Ram does not have a rear sliding window so ruled that out as well. Reaching under the rear seat all the way to the back wall I could feel water there as well.

I had heard about the Third Brake Light Leaks so decided to check that with a water hose and discovered fresh water coming in at the rear of the headliner on the right and left sides near the rear posts/seat belts behind the doors. I pulled the Third Brake Light and discovered the foam seal to be completely collapsed and old looking. I ordered an oversized replacement seal for it and after replacing it and running a water hose test did not have any water coming in as I had previously discovered at the headliner rear posts/seat belts.

Thinking all was good and having dried the carpet/padding under my rear seat I quit looking for leaks. Not long after the Third Brake Light Seal replacement we had a 2+ inch monsoon rainstorm. After it was over I went out to my truck and noticed the windows were fogged on the inside once again. I immediately thought it was the Third Brake Light Seal once again but upon inspection all was dry in the headliner and rear posts. I raised the rear seat and once again I had 2-3 inches of standing water in the storage compartments.

After doing a little research I learned about "Rear Cabin Vents" failing and allowing water to enter the interior behind/under the rear seat. I removed my rear seat and all the padding/carpet under/behind it. The amount of dampness was incredible. Upon inspecting the Rear Cabin Vents I discovered them to have both failed and missing multiple flaps allowing you to see outside and the front of the truck bed.

I ran a water hose on top of the truck cab and as the water ran down the rear window and down the back of the cab it was pouring in/around the two Cabin Vents like the "Titanic after striking the iceberg"... I pulled the vents and discovered even worse deterioration and failure. The outer seals were hard and split in multiple places, and the remaining vents flopped in the openings without being firmly seated. With the Vents removed I decided to tape a piece of clear plastic over the opening to show the amount of water flowing down and over the Vent area. I cannot believe that there is not any type of a shield/cover above the outside vent areas to divert water from these areas? A simple awning would go a long way in preventing water from entering the cab when or if the vent failed. Of course a better made vent is needed to completely seal the cabin from both water and dust.

To end this frustration release, I have ordered replacement Cabin Vents that are supposedly improved to prevent this from happening again. They have yet to arrive but once they do I will install and run a test. I have temporarily taped both Vent Openings up until I have the new Cabin Vents and will have to crack a window when closing doors or running the a/c or heater. I have not re-installed my rear seat, padding or carpet. Follow-up report to be posted after installation and test. Fingers Crossed.

CV.jpeg

View attachment 239183

CVW.jpg

NCV.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamPart3.9

RamPart3.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A short video I took of the water falling like Niagara Falls down past the Cabin Vent opening...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did exactly the same thing. They basically just fell apart. I'm going to be ordering new ones as soon as I get moved into our house and replacing them as well.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamPart3.9

RamPart3.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had no idea that this was a problem at the levels it is. This is across multiple years and multiple reasons for it to happen? Third Brake Light Seal Failure, Rear Sliding Window Seal Leak, or Rear Cabin Vent Failure... I am surprised that this has not been a major recall notice.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fixed my 3rd brake light leak. Had a wet headliner. Was still getting water in my rear under seat. Traced it to those vents. I changed mine out a while back and have had no issues. Obviously they realized they had an issue if they made a new version of vent to supersede the old ones.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Having owned my 2015 Ram 1500 for 5+ years now with no issues I started noticing my windows being fogged up in the mornings and a slight musty smell. This was getting progressively worse when one day I raised my rear seat and discovered my storage compartments were 1/4 full of standing water. My immediate thoughts were rear side window/door seals leaking or not fully closed when raining but after a water hose test that was not the case. My Ram does not have a rear sliding window so ruled that out as well. Reaching under the rear seat all the way to the back wall I could feel water there as well.

I had heard about the Third Brake Light Leaks so decided to check that with a water hose and discovered fresh water coming in at the rear of the headliner on the right and left sides near the rear posts/seat belts behind the doors. I pulled the Third Brake Light and discovered the foam seal to be completely collapsed and old looking. I ordered an oversized replacement seal for it and after replacing it and running a water hose test did not have any water coming in as I had previously discovered at the headliner rear posts/seat belts.

Thinking all was good and having dried the carpet/padding under my rear seat I quit looking for leaks. Not long after the Third Brake Light Seal replacement we had a 2+ inch monsoon rainstorm. After it was over I went out to my truck and noticed the windows were fogged on the inside once again. I immediately thought it was the Third Brake Light Seal once again but upon inspection all was dry in the headliner and rear posts. I raised the rear seat and once again I had 2-3 inches of standing water in the storage compartments.

After doing a little research I learned about "Rear Cabin Vents" failing and allowing water to enter the interior behind/under the rear seat. I removed my rear seat and all the padding/carpet under/behind it. The amount of dampness was incredible. Upon inspecting the Rear Cabin Vents I discovered them to have both failed and missing multiple flaps allowing you to see outside and the front of the truck bed.

I ran a water hose on top of the truck cab and as the water ran down the rear window and down the back of the cab it was pouring in/around the two Cabin Vents like the "Titanic after striking the iceberg"... I pulled the vents and discovered even worse deterioration and failure. The outer seals were hard and split in multiple places, and the remaining vents flopped in the openings without being firmly seated. With the Vents removed I decided to tape a piece of clear plastic over the opening to show the amount of water flowing down and over the Vent area. I cannot believe that there is not any type of a shield/cover above the outside vent areas to divert water from these areas? A simple awning would go a long way in preventing water from entering the cab when or if the vent failed. Of course a better made vent is needed to completely seal the cabin from both water and dust.

To end this frustration release, I have ordered replacement Cabin Vents that are supposedly improved to prevent this from happening again. They have yet to arrive but once they do I will install and run a test. I have temporarily taped both Vent Openings up until I have the new Cabin Vents and will have to crack a window when closing doors or running the a/c or heater. I have not re-installed my rear seat, padding or carpet. Follow-up report to be posted after installation and test. Fingers Crossed.

View attachment 239182

View attachment 239183

View attachment 239185

View attachment 239186
You need to remove the tape or put some way for air to pass through easily before the air pressure blows out a window when closing a door. The vents prevent air pressure from suddenly spiking.

Edit: do you have the revised part number?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is temporary until my new replacement vents arrive early next week. I am keeping a window cracked when closing and driving to prevent that. Past military life helps to appreciate "overpressure"... Thanks for the reminder.
Ah, I see you are familiar with the art of SNAFU then. When you get the new part can you post the revised part number?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had no idea that this was a problem at the levels it is. This is across multiple years and multiple reasons for it to happen? Third Brake Light Seal Failure, Rear Sliding Window Seal Leak, or Rear Cabin Vent Failure... I am surprised that this has not been a major recall notice.
recalls are for safety issues,not cosmetics.

OP
OP
RamPart3.9

RamPart3.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, I see you are familiar with the art of SNAFU then. When you get the new part can you post the revised part number?

I am scheduled to received them on Monday based on the Tracking Information. I will verify first and then post the correct number with a few pictures. Standby...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
recalls are for safety issues,not cosmetics.
Not necessarily, manufacturers can issue recalls for defects or really anything they want.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As much as these issues suck they're not recall issues. They're literally called safety recalls. Thanks for the heads up though, that is a premature issue at 6 years old regardless..

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
GTyankee, appreciate the info on the 'little box'. That was gonna be my next question.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It would be interesting to track this cabin vent failure thing based on cab configuration. I wonder if they fail equally between regular, quad and crew cabs? I know a lot people with later model Rams and none of them have ever mentioned issues with this. I've only seen it online. I know I've battled both the 3rd BL leak on both my 2017 and 2019 classic and a leak from a shoddy rear window install on my 2017 (quad cab)

Regardless, it's crazy not to do the 'rear seat mod' if you're pulling the rear seat to replace these vent 'check valves'. Tons of threads here on the rear seat mod.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A picture came to mind after the post about rear seat Mod

Are you sure that you don't want to hide your arsenal behind there ?

Most ppl that do that Mod, are installing stereo components back there

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran a bead of 3m 5200 marine sealant around mine when I replaced them as a little extra assurance. I sure hope I never have to replace them again, might be tough getting them out with that nonsense in there, lol.