Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I understand that you would want to try to install scoops with the bed in place.

I would elevate my Ram & unbolt the bed, disconnect the wiring for the lights near the rear bumper & also another light connection at my Rams left front corner, it is for my Amber Rotating Lights & of course the fuel hoses at fuel tank.

Then i would lift the bed high enough to roll the truck forward a bit.
That would give me room to work

In my apartment building, there is an 8 X 10 wood beam, that i have a come along attached to & my engine hoist would easily handle the rest of the weight.

I would just have to call a friend that is agile enough to work while standing on the frame, but then some plywood might make that easier

Getting old is very restrictive

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to change out those vents on mine today. They started leaking recently. I assumed at first it was the brake light but when I pulled it out there was no evidence of water there. I then was able to use a hose on the rear and off course water coming in thru those vents.
And done. Multiple rubber bits were damaged. Took a couple hours and was able to get it all from the inside.

WireEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dealt with this when I was a Quality Engineer for TRW. We made the RFHub module located on that back wall. Huge numbers of them in warranty due to water intrusion. They are not sealed units either which makes it worse. Fca had no idea until we were getting multiple units back from the same vehicles.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
WOW!! The things you learn on this forum. Didn't know that vent even existed. I have a 2022, 2500 tradesman. Now I know what things to keep an eye out for.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
recalls are for safety issues,not cosmetics.
This, if they felt it warranted such a notice, would be a technical service bulletin, which is just a way to say "we know this is an issue, but you're on your own".

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I read thru this thread weeks ago and ordered the new vents as a preventative on my 2013. Got them in last week, went to go install them after work today and found my vents are totally different. IMO they're a much better design than the "new improved" ones. They have louvers on the outside to divert water away and they have an extra seal on the outside of the vent. Ended up leaving the factory ones in since I never had a leak from them. The PN on the factory ones in my truck is 55055998AH. Pretty sure on the H but not positive.

Guess I have some extras if they start to leak in the future....View attachment 458909View attachment 458910
View attachment 458911View attachment 458912

When I search for 68323649AB on line the images show a plastic louvered cover for the outside of the vents.... Similar to what is shown above.

Those of you that bought these updates ones don't have that?

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I search for 68323649AB on line the images show a plastic louvered cover for the outside of the vents.... Similar to what is shown above.

Those of you that bought these updates ones don't have that?
That's the updated part. The original has 9 little rubber flaps vs the new has 3 larger ones.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the updated part. The original has 9 little rubber flaps vs the new has 3 larger ones.

Anyone know when the update happened?

Im assuming my 2018 has the "faulty" design since there are people with newer trucks having this issue.... Figured might as well get ahead of it and replace before they fail

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know when the update happened?

Im assuming my 2018 has the "faulty" design since there are people with newer trucks having this issue.... Figured might as well get ahead of it and replace before they fail
My 2018 had the old part and it failed.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 had the old part and it failed.
I got under the truck and was able to see up between the cab and bed to confirm the old style. Driver side is easier to examine than passenger but I could tell that some of the flaps were warped and not sitting square on theie respective opening so it's only a matter of time before they leak.

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Model here .... just found the "second" source of my water intrusion too (second because I've already fought with the third brake light on multiple occasions).

Unacceptable Ram Trucks. Unacceptable.

20220528_152013 (LH).jpg

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi everyone, I know this post is old, but I have simolar New vents and trying to install them from inside the cabin, as many videos suggest, but they don’t seem to fit. Where you able to? Any tricks you can share is appreciate.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone, I know this post is old, but I have simolar New vents and trying to install them from inside the cabin, as many videos suggest, but they don’t seem to fit. Where you able to? Any tricks you can share is appreciate.
It's definitely a tight fit, but they will go through. You have to sort of force it through. You can practice with your old ones if it helps. I tied a string on mine also, in case they fell through. It also helped to snap them in place once they went through.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did this recently on mine, imo the key is to not be afraid to break them. They will flex so just force them like you've got nothing to lose. Worse case scenario you buy a new one for $13

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Easier yet.... when I replaced mine I tied a string to them and fished them between the cab and rear bed. Pulled the driverside right into place and then reached in from the inside and snapped them in. Passenger side took a little coaxing with a stick to squeeze through the gap but not much.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like Dodge took some bad lessons from Ford. My '04 F150 had the exact same 3rd brake light and exhauster failure problems AND fixes..

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just did this recently on mine, imo the key is to not be afraid to break them. They will flex so just force them like you've got nothing to lose. Worse case scenario you buy a new one for $13

So, these can be installed from the inside?

We just had a week of rain last week and go to grab my tool box under seat today and it's all wet. ugghhhhhhhhhhhhh
I know it's not the 3rd brake light. I fixed that when I first got the truck.

Mines a 2018 so assume it's the old style..

Crazy thing is I had a 09 Ram with over 150K and never had this problem.

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

We just had a week of rain last week and go to grab my tool box under seat today and it's all wet. ugghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, just gotta fiddle with it. It was a PITA for me. I actually broke one of the little tabs on the right side on both but that didn’t effect anything. It still clicked in and held. Check your rear sliding windows also. I need to find those holes as well, if someone can point them out.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Yes. You install from the inside. Tie a string on it and fish it between the bed and the cab. Be gentle and it will slide right down. Once it's closely inline, grab it from the inside of the cab and walk it into place. Cut the string before you click it in.

Super easy to do. If it gets stuck (mine did on the passenger side) simply take a stick and gently push it down into place. If you're cautious it will slip right in.