Talk me out of a TRX!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My advice, Don’t drive one……..

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At the end of the day, no matter what others may say or not, it's your life, sacrifices, money, truck, wife and your life; you do you buddy. However, if there has to be a sacrifice then that may not be in your best interest.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This exactly! Your comments made me 180. Definitely not at a point in life for a $100k vehicle. Financed or not. What's that saying about assumptions...
I'd much rather have that cash in my bank account than in a depreciating truck.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 18 PowerWagon that is my daily driver that I've customized just a bit to the point that I absolutely love it. It only has 35K miles, and other than being generally dirty it's as good as new with nearly every option on it. No problems whatsoever. My wife and I used to go off road alot more but these days it's only one or twice a year, and it's mostly snow, trail, and fire road driving. No rockclimbing or mudding anymore. The floor shifted 4wd is a favorite of mine as I appreciate the positive feedback of chunking it into gear when it's time to have some fun. I love the truck- especially the reliability, toughness, and overall quality of the truck. I don't even care that I get MPG that would make a NASCAR driver blush. I switched jobs from when I bought the PW and now I drive 20 miles into work daily. Before I was a remote worker, so it rarely was driven but now I'm in it probably 6 days a week.

BUT... The dealer near my house has 3 Level 2 TRXs on their lot and even though they are stupidly priced ($122k) I can't stop thinking about them. I really miss the power of my Hellcat that I sold to get into the PowerWagon. The idea of a great truck with all the power of a hellcat under the hood- the sound, the acceleration, the speed- is intoxicating. Also, now that I'm on the highway everyday I'd love the passing power of a hellcat. PS, I never got a ticket when I was in my charger hellcat, but I came damn close several times. Hitting 150 again on an open road in Mexico :) with that supercharger whine would make me feel like a kid again.

There's no chance my wife will let me keep the PW and just get the TRX. In fact talking her into the TRX will be no small feat as it's absolutely a mid-life-crisis buy more than anything. I'm fat and don't fit into Corvettes. I can afford it, but it'll take sacrifices. And I have to believe that while it'll never be an appreciating asset it will depreciate more slowly than my PW is.

So, does the switch make sense, or am I just ******* over the TRX's ample cylinders? Is a 5th gen 1500 that much better than a 4th gen 2500 PW?

I still somewhat regret not going for the TRX sitting on the lot beside my Rebel (same blacked out fully loaded setup), so I say get one while you still can... before the EPA destroys another motorhead dream.

Happy with my Rebel after a handful of mods and it honestly does more than I need, but the TRX is a beast I would gladly go for if the budget allowed. Get one and enjoy it! You already spent a few years enjoying the PW, so why not?

Oops, didn't talk you out of it. ;-)

***edit*** Above is my emotional gut reaction, because I love the engineering behind the TRX (or the Raptor for that matter), but 100% agree with the financially motivated advice... new car syndrome wears off long before pay off. I would absolutely say it depends on your financial stability (also been laid off a couple times recently due to economic madness), and how far behind it will set you in terms of pay off date. Any new car is over priced, this is just one of the few where I'd have to think long and hard about the right choice. Good luck!

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the end of the day, no matter what others may say or not, it's your life, sacrifices, money, truck, wife and your life; you do you buddy. However, if there has to be a sacrifice then that may not be in your best interest.
I have read this three times now. Nothing more true. Here is the problem, people NEED nuns with rulers. People need to start being responsible. Sacrificing by not buying something you want and waiting till it is not a sacrifice. We all need to make sacrifices and maybe a little Dave Ramsey.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 18 PowerWagon that is my daily driver that I've customized just a bit to the point that I absolutely love it. It only has 35K miles, and other than being generally dirty it's as good as new with nearly every option on it. No problems whatsoever. My wife and I used to go off road alot more but these days it's only one or twice a year, and it's mostly snow, trail, and fire road driving. No rockclimbing or mudding anymore. The floor shifted 4wd is a favorite of mine as I appreciate the positive feedback of chunking it into gear when it's time to have some fun. I love the truck- especially the reliability, toughness, and overall quality of the truck. I don't even care that I get MPG that would make a NASCAR driver blush. I switched jobs from when I bought the PW and now I drive 20 miles into work daily. Before I was a remote worker, so it rarely was driven but now I'm in it probably 6 days a week.

BUT... The dealer near my house has 3 Level 2 TRXs on their lot and even though they are stupidly priced ($122k) I can't stop thinking about them. I really miss the power of my Hellcat that I sold to get into the PowerWagon. The idea of a great truck with all the power of a hellcat under the hood- the sound, the acceleration, the speed- is intoxicating. Also, now that I'm on the highway everyday I'd love the passing power of a hellcat. PS, I never got a ticket when I was in my charger hellcat, but I came damn close several times. Hitting 150 again on an open road in Mexico :) with that supercharger whine would make me feel like a kid again.

There's no chance my wife will let me keep the PW and just get the TRX. In fact talking her into the TRX will be no small feat as it's absolutely a mid-life-crisis buy more than anything. I'm fat and don't fit into Corvettes. I can afford it, but it'll take sacrifices. And I have to believe that while it'll never be an appreciating asset it will depreciate more slowly than my PW is.

So, does the switch make sense, or am I just ******* over the TRX's ample cylinders? Is a 5th gen 1500 that much better than a 4th gen 2500 PW?
Not gonna talk you out of it, If I had a way to afford one, I'd trade in my Rebel in a heartbeat

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Money is expensive to borrow right now. If you’re determined to spend money, keep the truck and get a vette. Insure it as a pleasur vehicle and keep it in the garage, only drive in nice weather. You’ll save over 50 grand and have a cool car for many years to come.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel

Okay, you are officially talked out of getting a TRX, you are welcome, there that was easy.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seen one at my local dealer dealer last fall, It had sold on it , The tag about $150,000 Canada
Plus taxes I would think= 166,500.oo
in early1970's I bought a med sized farm for way less money.

One time I was looking at a new Viper when they first came out. Test drive, Not a chance.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do NOT miss having a mortgage or vehicle payments. Being debt free is a awesome place to be in. There have been some excellent advice given here. I am living proof of buckling down and paying everything off. It is NOT an easy feat to accomplish. There were times where my wife and myself didn't think we would make it.
I have zero desire to pay that much $ for a TRX. New or used. My disability as well as my wife's disability makes it challenging to get into one of those. Our '15 Ram Laramie 1500 4x4 is 5" lower than our old Ford F150. Which was a no brainer for us as we didn't want to go the mobility van route.
I couldn't mention the ride of a TRX as not being able to climb into one sealed the deal of NOT adopting the TRX. Sure I would LOVE 700+hp on tap. However I love heated and cooled leather seats more. And having ALMOST the identical hp as the 440 6pack/6barrel will do for me quite nicely.
Best wishes on your decision.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can think of 120,000+ reasons not to buy a TRX. IMO, the only trucks that should cost that much are semis.

If I want fast, buy something that doesn’t weigh 3 tons. If I want a truck, buy something that functions as a truck.

If I want both, I'd buy two vehicles and still be out $60k less than a TRX (used, I would never buy new) and still probably cheaper to insure and both will get better gas mileage.

The finance person in me says the only way I would consider a $x vehicle is if you can pay cash for it, and your net worth isn’t at least 10x.

**edited, sounded more aggressive than I intended upon reread

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok...I'm going to throw out something really crazy here. You can call it total BS, or whatever. And a guy can look at it as either, 1) Do it now or never. Or 2) Maybe now's not the time. Here it goes ...whacky thought experiment:

If history can be used as a guide...consider that scientists pretty much predicted the pandemic..100yrs from the 1918 pandemic, almost to the year. Americans went through a period of recovery back after the 1918 pandemic, similar to our recent pandemic: they had inflation, worker rights/patterns were disrupted after the 1918 pandemic, much as they did after the 2019 pandemic. Then came a period of recovery, then normalcy, then exuberance ...then what? The stock market crashed and lead to the great depression. It wasn't a downturn, it was a crash my grandparents and father lived through. Wiped out a generation of wealth for some people.

Ok, I'm not a naaysayer (well it sounds like I am..but I'm not), but, will history repeat itself?? Will we experience a crash in 2028, 2029 ..2030? Not a slump but a real crash..a deep depression? What does that give a guy...4-5-6 years..in this little thought experiment? Well I don't have a crystal ball, but it does make a guy wonder. Having said that, if one were in a high-debt situation now might be the time to consider planning and vulnerabilities. Maybe the Gov't won't bail-out everyone who overspent next time? I do know several people who lost their homes in the 'great recession', including some Co-workers who thought they were pro-home-flippers...and were caught with their pants down with multiple houses that were way over-valued and they couldn't even dump! And another co-worker lost so much in the market he had to sell all his toys, cancelled his cable TV and was begging people to buy tools. I picked up a couple nice properties at the time for super cheap.

So, if there is any merrit to that, then buy the TRX now, and enjoy it. A TRX would definitely be a blast! If the worst happens maybe the gov't will bail people out (I hate when they do that!!). Or enjoy the TRX and sell after a couple yrs of fun, because, frankly, if the above occurs, at the OP's age, if the economy lost a generation's worth of wealth, his 401k tanked to eye-wattering levels, he might have to move in with his kids and NEVER be able to afford one ever! And there's something to be said for taking risks. It can be a thrill and sometimes they work out great. It might be the best thing ya ever did. I don't judge people for what they do. So, with that mindset, you should do it.

Or don't do it, (wait), fortify your castle now (financially ..that is), and pick up one cheap on the flip-side from some other poor soul (*if* such a downturn occurs).

I personally think it would be a blast to have one (if only I wasn't too cheap!!). I'll just wait till the next economic downturn and buy one for a fraction of today..he he. Anyone remember how guys were dumping their classic cars in 2009?!! I bought a real nice muscle car 'cheap', had fun.. (sold it when the market recovered).

Last edited:

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok...I'm going to throw out something really crazy here. You can call it total BS, or whatever. And a guy can look at it as either, 1) Do it now or never. Or 2) Maybe now's not the time. Here it goes ...whacky thought experiment:

If history can be used as a guide...consider that scientists pretty much predicted the pandemic..100yrs from the 1918 pandemic, almost to the year. Americans went through a period of recovery back after the 1918 pandemic, similar to our recent pandemic: they had inflation, worker rights/patterns were disrupted after the 1918 pandemic, much as they did after the 2019 pandemic. Then came a period of recovery, then normalcy, then exuberance ...then what? The stock market crashed and lead to the great depression. It wasn't a downturn, it was a crash my grandparents and father lived through. Wiped out a generation of wealth for some people.

Ok, I'm not a naaysayer (well it sounds like I am..but I'm not), but, will history repeat itself?? Will we experience a crash in 2028, 2029 ..2030? Not a slump but a real crash..a deep depression? What does that give a guy...4-5-6 years..in this little thought experiment? Well I don't have a crystal ball, but it does make a guy wonder. Having said that, if one were in a high-debt situation now might be the time to consider planning and vulnerabilities. Maybe the Gov't won't bail-out everyone who overspent next time? I do know several people who lost their homes in the 'great recession', including some Co-workers who thought they were pro-home-flippers...and were caught with their pants down with multiple houses that were way over-valued and they couldn't even dump! And another co-worker lost so much in the market he had to sell all his toys, cancelled his cable TV and was begging people to buy tools. I picked up a couple nice properties at the time for super cheap.

So, if there is any merrit to that, then buy the TRX now, and enjoy it. A TRX would definitely be a blast! If the worst happens maybe the gov't will bail people out (I hate when they do that!!). Or enjoy the TRX and sell after a couple yrs of fun, because, frankly, if the above occurs, at the OP's age, if the economy lost a generation's worth of wealth, his 401k tanked to eye-wattering levels, he might have to move in with his kids and NEVER be able to afford one ever! And there's something to be said for taking risks. It can be a thrill and sometimes they work out great. It might be the best thing ya ever did. I don't judge people for what they do. So, with that mindset, you should do it.

Or don't do it, (wait), fortify your castle now (financially ..that is), and pick up one cheap on the flip-side from some other poor soul (*if* such a downturn occurs).

I personally think it would be a blast to have one (if only I wasn't too cheap!!). I'll just wait till the next economic downturn and buy one for a fraction of today..he he. Anyone remember how guys were dumping their classic cars in 2009?!! I bought a real nice muscle car 'cheap', had fun.. (sold it when the market recovered).
This made me want to convert my 401k to cash. Seriously hope you are wrong.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Michael,
I have done pretty much what you are considering doing. I had a 2018 Power Wagon, and I now have a 2022 TRX. I liked the Power Wagon, but the TRX is a much more refined vehicle. It is so luxurious inside, and is so quiet and smooth, and so powerful, that it is on a whole different level as far as driving experience goes. My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler 392, so the TRX stays in the garage except for an occasional trip to work, or when recruited to tow a utility trailer with a race UTV on it. Its main use though, is to play in the desert from time to time. Every few months or so I will take it for a spirited ride in the desert. I come from a desert racing background, so I enjoy going fast in the desert. The TRX is pretty amazing for a stock vehicle. Change to Baja mode and it changes the suspension, the transmission shift points, the engine braking, the power steering boost, and a few other things as well, namely the traction control and stability control are completely eliminated. You are actually in charge of the driving, not some computer nanny. It feels rock solid and predictable at 90 mph+ on gravel roads, and if you hit a cattle guard at that speed, it sticks the landing perfect, like an Olympic gymnast, every time. Each time I drive the TRX I am impressed at how high quality of a vehicle it is. Ram absolutely hit one out of the park when they made the TRX.

So, do you want one? Of course you want one. Should you buy one? That is up to you. I see that you live in Missouri. It's been a while since I have been there, but I don't recall seeing any deserts. You also plan on parking it outside. No way would I buy a vehicle as nice as the TRX if I had to park it outside. This truck is my baby, I plan to keep it forever because I don't think ram will ever build anything to beat it.

Someone mentioned the TRX is going to drop like a rock in value. I paid MSRP of $85K for mine in 2022. A 2024 with the same equipment level and same options as mine now has an MSRP of $122K. So, they haven't dropped in value yet. Not that that matters if I am keeping it forever.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This truck is my baby, I plan to keep it forever because I don't think ram will ever build anything to beat it.

That's probably a true statement. It's kind of the Boss 429 of trucks. The pinnacle of the truck era. Unless they build one that tops it a little more. Although a lot of money, you actually did 'ok' on yours. :waytogo:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would like to drive one for a few hours and then return it.
If I had one, the grandkids would all be fighting over it when I passed, so they will just have put up with what I have
The RCMP can rest easy as well

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would like to drive one for a few hours and then return it.
If I had one, the grandkids would all be fighting over it when I passed, so they will just have put up with what I have
The RCMP can rest easy as well
You should be able to find one you can rent for a day. I've thought about doing that but I'm afraid I might decide to buy one after a day of fun like that. :licklips: