Battery Replacement Coming Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Once you pull the battery, there is a plastic piece on the back side of the tray towards the cab. You can put some force on it with your hands and it pops out. Once you pop that out, the entire tray is open and perfectly sized for the larger H8 battery size. If I'm not mistaken, the battery tray is the same for the diesel Cummins as is our trucks and that plastic piece is just there to hold our smaller H7 battery. They are the same price for batteries since the H8 is so widely used. But the extra juice is much nicer to have.
Understood, and I have done that with deep cycle batteries in my boat(s), but that completely defeats the purpose of the battery tray to begin with, which is to help contain the acid should your battery develop a leak.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Longhorn is coming up on 5 years....

Choices for a battery replacement are:

Die Hard H7 Platinum AGM 850 CCA/ 1000 CA
or
Optima Yellow Top H7 880 CCA/ 1000 CA

This is what I can get locally. Anything else I should look at. The Optima is expensive....Die Hard is up there but not terrible. Not looking for cheap...just resonable.
Best battery and deal around is the Wal-Mart EverStart. They come rated as good as anything else and run some less in cost. Would not buy anything else, especially with the warrantee they have.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a NorthStar AGM in my 2013 RAM when the OEM battery died in just a few weeks of ownership (truck was bought new) ... I later traded my 2013 for a new 2017 and had the dealership take the OEM battery out of the new truck and put the Northstar in ... That battery lasted another 3 years and still going when I traded for a new 2020 ...

Spudgunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
The Wal-Mart deal is hard to beat but I did see an Interstate H7 at Costco the last time I was there. Interstate also makes an H8...but I don't know if Costco normally handles that critter.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I concur with most of the comments - I replaced my 2018 oem battery in Feb. 2023 in my Ram 1500 with a Wally-World AGM = $185 otd.

I recommend avoiding the Optima batteries - I used to run them in off-road vehicles, But when their production moved to Mexico, the Optima batteries were absolutely crap - I wont ever buy one again…..

Regardless of the Name Brand on the battery, the reality is there are only a handful of battery manufacturers world-wide……most have similar if not identical warranties, so i shop for convenience and bottom line price.

I have had and would recommend the Interstate batteries from Costco - great value and most folks are fairly close to a Costco for Warranty and or replacement. This is why I believe the Wally-World option offers even more convenience - for me it was the best price and the ease of Nationwide availability if i need to warranty or replace when on the road is very very good.

Happy shopping

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I concur with most of the comments - I replaced my 2018 oem battery in Feb. 2023 in my Ram 1500 with a Wally-World AGM = $185 otd.

I recommend avoiding the Optima batteries - I used to run them in off-road vehicles, But when their production moved to Mexico, the Optima batteries were absolutely crap - I wont ever buy one again.

I used to work at Autozone from 2006-2011, every Optima we sold came back in a few months.