Tell me what you don't like about the Ram....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why can't I set the position of the reverse mode to a place that suits my needs and have it be saved like the driving mode has memory?

OR does anyone out there have any thoughts on activating this option?
What I've done, from a suggestion I read here, is set the reverse mirrors where and how I want them, and then save that in my #2 memory position. My wife pretty much never drives my truck, so we've never setup a memory position for her anyway. Reverse settings is a good use for it. Only drawback is you have to put the truck in Park briefly to choose it.

The one thing I don't like about my Ram would be the tailgate. My buddies with Fords and GMs sure have a lot easier time loading their dirt bikes in their HD trucks with those pull out steps built into the tailgate. Ram is way behind on that one.

BruceS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
set the reverse mirrors where and how I want them, and then save that in my #2 memory position
Funny, I actually thought of that except doesn't it also take a few seconds to switch Profiles as well?

That could be problematic especially when backing into a parking space with others waiting to pass, no?

I am just learning all of the functions of the vehicle and this issue stood out the most especially due to the fact that the default position is basically useless and one could say 'dangerous'.

At least allow us to reset the factory default 'down' position to a more practical place (if adding a memory mode for reverse mirror position isn't possible).

I am going to stay on this and follow up with Chrysler as far as I can go. Anyone else with thoughts or advise is welcome to contribute here though!

Regarding the tailgate, I test drove and considered the Chevy Trucks prior to deciding on my RAM (Car & Driver's #1 and #2 truck). They have the step built into the bumper which makes getting up into the bed much easier (especially for us old codgers - I have a really hard time getting into the bed due to weakened legs) so I am now looking to purchase a bed step (probably via Amazon because the OEM part is too $$$)

With your issue jejb, I'd look into some sort of ramp which I suppose is the old fashion way I know since I am unfamiliar with the pull out steps you are referring to!

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Funny, I actually thought of that except doesn't it also take a few seconds to switch Profiles as well?

That could be problematic especially when backing into a parking space with others waiting to pass, no?
Yes, it could be problematic if you don't have time to shift into park, hit the 2 button and then start backing. The mirror changes would happen quickly, but the process would slow you down some. Not a great solution, but one that may work for some of us.
Regarding the tailgate, I test drove and considered the Chevy Trucks prior to deciding on my RAM (Car & Driver's #1 and #2 truck). They have the step built into the bumper which makes getting up into the bed much easier (especially for us old codgers - I have a really hard time getting into the bed due to weakened legs) so I am now looking to purchase a bed step (probably via Amazon because the OEM part is too $$$)

With your issue jejb, I'd look into some sort of ramp which I suppose is the old fashion way I know since I am unfamiliar with the pull out steps you are referring to!
I have the factory bed step, so the lack of factory bumper cuts is not an issue. And you're right about ramps, that's how I do it. But it's not nearly as convenient. Is what it is, though.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I agree and disagree. 3:21 give you better millage but 3:92 has better pulling ability. One is going from 8440 lbs to 11540 lbs. All depends on your usage. With that being said for my usage I should have picked 3:21 but that was not choice I had.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The ONLY complaints that I've had across all 3 of my Rams are:

Third brake light leaks (easy $8 fix and 10 minutes of your time)
Cab vent leaks ($22 fix and about 2 hrs of your time)
MDS on the 5.7 Hemi. Some people are ok with it, but it's just a personal dislike for me. I always manually shift into 8th gear to keep it in V8 mode all the time.

Aside from that I really have no other complaints. They're solid trucks. I think I'm in the minority when I say that one of the things I really like is the Alpine system. :) Coming from the Ford B&O "premium" system and then the Nissan Bose "premium" system, the Alpine sounds fantastic (to me).

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Nav system isn't easy to enter destinations, can't seem to find places. Keep getting ads offering $50 off. Apple Carplay using Google Maps works great. Wife and I like to listen to audio books (Alex Cross series by James Patterson) on long trips, so we can navigate and listen using single usb for Carplay and the other usb for charging another phone. Wireless charger requires a fine touch, have to take phone case off. Bought a few cables and leave in truck.

Sirius XM made a subscription change where you can use in the truck and home computer, but not at same time. Worth the money.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My biggest complaint is that the 6.4 isn't available on the 1500.
They had everything in the parts bin to have built a Hellcat powered regular cab shortbox AWD ,they'd have sold every one they made,lol.
I have a buddy who's fairly high up in Ram Canada,and according to him,at one point in time,(back around 2014) they were thinking of building a regular cab shortbox with the 485 horse 6.4,but it never materialized,and he's not sure who squashed the idea.

Last edited:

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
Well, I've only owned mine for two weeks but so far my complaints are as follows:

1. turning radius is terrible. However, I'm comparing to my single cab, swb 1500.
2. usb issues are ridiculous. Well documented and I've read most of the work-arounds
3. paint on the front bumper is a disappointment. I've driven for two weeks and already have several tiny nicks in the white painted bumper.
4. fake Alpine system is ok at best. I'll be replacing it this week.

These are all minor, however. So far I'm loving the truck.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would you tell a guy who is considering a RAM for his next and first full size truck, that is negative about RAM? I pretty much know all the Pros...which is why i've put RAM at the top of my list....my second choice is a Toyota Tundra (I'm in a 2nd Gen Tacoma now). I'd really like to know what kind of problems to expect that is pretty typical with Ram trucks. I really love the looks of the Rebel, but i dig the the Laramie with the Night package....those would be my 2 choices. I'm open to hear about engine choices....I am primarily a city driver, this would be my daily driver.but intend to do some road trips with the family. I do not tow anything...not a boat guy....or a camper guy...I go old school...lol
My next door neighbor has a 2019 Lone Star edition. It has about 75,000 miles on it. The only problem they've ever had was the gasket blowing out just in front of the muffler. He and his wife love it!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My biggest complaint with my early build 2019, is the lousy so so AC. Other than that starts, heat/AC work, radio makes noises and truck goes Vroooooom. !!! What works for me. The electric windows/door locks are a nice added touch, LOL.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not like not being able to dim the interior lights and that they don't turn on automatically when you turn truck off.

I don't like the orange peel paint.

I don't like halogens that came with my Bighorn Lev 2.

I don't like the extra mess changing my oil.

I don't like that hemi tick is a thing although so far so good. PUP 5W30 and Lubegard.

I don't like worrying about my manifolds and bolts.

I don't like my previously leaking rear window.

My basic radio is awful.

Still love my Ram.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Just picked up my first ever Ram 1500 Friday, so we're still on the honeymoon. It's isn't my first Stellantis vehicle though as I owned a '19 Jeep JL Unlimited.

I guess the only minor annoyance is there's no way to control the temp of the HVAC system unless to turn the infotainment screen. Where's my dang buttons to turn the ac/heat up and down. Mine is the 8.4 screen, and it appears the only thing I can do is turn the fan down taking the system out of auto at the same time. I know, wah, wah, wah, I'm a big baby. :)
if you have auto ac you can control both sides by the temp control up or down and still stays in auto mode mine is the 8.4 system

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love my 22 Laramie. The horn honking when I get out of the running truck is not a deal for me at all. Just drop keys in cup holder if it’s a problem.

No real complaints at all. Other than the price!

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Buy the diesel. So far I can't get the little recalls serviced. The fan on the AC is really weak compared to most vehicles. That's it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy the diesel. So far I can't get the little recalls serviced. The fan on the AC is really weak compared to most vehicles. That's it.
Check your cabin filter could be clogged up even on brand new trucks I work at a dealer still some of the covid trucks that sat in lots floating around have had clogged fitlers/mice.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just traded in my 2018 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.4 for a 2023 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.4. My biggest issue originally was those "ugly" flippable door mirrors for towing. Those have been redesigned. I have only had my 5th Gen for two days. No issues with any of it. The gas mileage sucks...they suck in all trucks...if you're concerned about an extra 2 or 3 MPG maybe your criteria for needing a big truck is a little off. I would say that gas mileage ranks near the bottom for me when shopping for a new truck, and I've owned 2500 series for nearly 20 years.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Diesels solve a lot of the mileage issues. Prices are bad right now, but may be coming down.
2022 2500 gets around 23 or more mpg with cruise control empty.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While that is true in regards to MPG and diesels, it's equally true that there's a $10k price difference. I only tow my boat, a diesel would be wasted money. I know a 1500 with a 5.7 would work just as well with better MPG, but it doesn't feed my ego lol.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While that is true in regards to MPG and diesels, it's equally true that there's a $10k price difference. I only tow my boat, a diesel would be wasted money. I know a 1500 with a 5.7 would work just as well with better MPG, but it doesn't feed my ego lol.
The diesel option holds it value better than the rest of the truck. You'll get a lot more of that $10K back, probably near 100% of it, at sale/trade time.