Terrible, Horrible luck TT wise. My fault though...anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elcorbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tooooo much trailer for a 1500. Even 6000 lbs is to much if you live in the mountains. That Hemi will drive you crazy screaming up the mountains. I know because I just traded my 1500 for a 3500 for that reason. Took a trip to Florida from Arizona. It was a miserable trip listening to the Hemi scream. My TT is only 6000 lbs and 25 foot long. I had a 2021 1500 Limited with the 3.92 gears. Max payload was a little more than 1300 lbs according to the door sticker. I was overloaded when we loaded the bed of the truck and my wife and jumped in. Just my opinion, but 1500’s are meant for towing boats and utility trailers, not TT’s or 5th wheels. I learned the hard way.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont have any problem towing our 6000# 28' travel trailer with my 1500 laramie. recently towed from DFW to woodland park, co. and back no trouble. didnt even heat up doing Raton pass. stayed around 66-67 in the higher elevations and 68-69 on the way home and got 9.5 for the trip.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tooooo much trailer for a 1500. Even 6000 lbs is to much if you live in the mountains. That Hemi will drive you crazy screaming up the mountains. I know because I just traded my 1500 for a 3500 for that reason. Took a trip to Florida from Arizona. It was a miserable trip listening to the Hemi scream. My TT is only 6000 lbs and 25 foot long. I had a 2021 1500 Limited with the 3.92 gears. Max payload was a little more than 1300 lbs according to the door sticker. I was overloaded when we loaded the bed of the truck and my wife and jumped in. Just my opinion, but 1500’s are meant for towing boats and utility trailers, not TT’s or 5th wheels. I learned the hard way.
The "screaming up the mountains" wouldn't be solved by getting a 3500. If switching trucks fixed that aspect of things, then I'm guessing you also went with a diesel in the 3500. A 3500 with the 6.4 would be "screaming" just as much. An alternative is just to go slow. I once towed a 5900 pound trailer over Wolf Creek pass with a GMC Canyon with a 3.6L. Now that was a bad idea for any number of reasons and was a dumb thing I did as a rookie, but the little engine actually did fine. I just limited myself to 25 MPH (like the signage directs the truckers to do). When I head out west with my 2500 with 6.4 I'll just slow down and also except that the gas engine needs to rev to a point where its in its torque band.

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You all know that Ram recommends a WDH for any tongue weight over 500 on everything all the way up to a 2500, right?
It must be a Stellantis thing - my GW has the same problem.

I mean I've towed more than that in the 1500 and the GW without issue, but still it's putting me right off buying a Ram 2500...

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Yeah, but he's leasing.
In this market, he still may be able to turn in the leased truck for HD truck. It depends on how much any particular dealer wants the truck he has AND the terms of the lease. I've seen people do it for high demand vehicles. Now that the market has softened, god only knows what terms are available. Some dealer may want to pay off the lease to get rid of a truck that's on their lot now.

At the very least, its worth a few phone calls to see what dealers can do..... He might pay a penalty. Who knows?