"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a typo I believe. There were a lot of mislabeled listings when these first hit the Americas...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I will ask I have an account with them so I'll see what they say...

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
BTW, I saw are reference on page 40 where another user asked if the new android units retain the trailer break and 4 corner suspension settings and there were no follow up's. Can someone here that has both confirm if these units can interact with those settings? The 4 corner suspension especially, since it needs to be in jack mode when wheels or tires are removed or when the alignment is done.

I opened a ticket with PA in parallel.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
BTW, I saw are reference on page 40 where another user asked if the new android units retain the trailer break and 4 corner suspension settings and there were no follow up's. Can someone here that has both confirm if these units can interact with those settings? The 4 corner suspension especially, since it needs to be in jack mode when wheels or tires are removed or when the alignment is done.

Are not all of those controls on a separate switch bank below the radio? Do you need the radio to control any of that?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Are not all of those controls on a separate switch bank below the radio? Do you need the radio to control any of that?

The trailer and the suspension have their own buttons below the cluster that set the gain for the trailer brake and the 4 levels for the suspension, however both of these have setup options accessed via the 8.4in uconnect. For example there is an aero mode that lowers the front suspension when going over I believe 60mph, but that option can be turned on and off via the options menu. If you need to do wheel alignment there is an option to turn off the suspension completely.

Worst case I will just have to pull the fuse for the suspension to make sure it doesn't move when alignment is done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Alright @Swissarmyknife I am in it with you. I started my return for my current one that I have had less then 30 days and ordered the new one. I ordered the 64GB one and with the promotion they are running it was the same price.

Cool. I had a double din in my 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon a few years back so its been a while since I had an android HU. This will be particularly interesting since it 'wants' to be totally integrated with the OEM functions, thus my concern now about the trailer brake and suspension, but hopefully Phoenix is willing to work this out. I am sure all these settings are controlled over the CANBUS, so it might be just a new firmware that is required to enable the options.

I got the 4/64 as well and the USB android auto/car play dongle with it. That way my wife who's a iphone user can take advantage of the HU as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The trailer and the suspension have their own buttons below the cluster that set the gain for the trailer brake and the 4 levels for the suspension, however both of these have setup options accessed via the 8.4in uconnect. For example there is an aero mode that lowers the front suspension when going over I believe 60mph, but that option can be turned on and off via the options menu. If you need to do wheel alignment there is an option to turn off the suspension completely.

Worst case I will just have to pull the fuse for the suspension to make sure it doesn't move when alignment is done.
Got it, I'm pretty sure that has been answered in this thread in the past couple of months if I'm not mistaken.

In addition, all if the "Console" options are layed out in picture form not too long ago.

I'd search the trailer question and scroll up for the console/canbus options.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Got it, I'm pretty sure that has been answered in this thread in the past couple of months if I'm not mistaken.

In addition, all if the "Console" options are layed out in picture form not too long ago.

Slowly catching up on all the posts. I am on page 70, so about half way through ;-)

I saved some posts that had descriptions of the 'hidden' menu's, but there is a lot of info to disseminate. Also, not sure yet what type of MCU the new PX6 will be and what support it will have since it's apparently rather new in the HU industry.

BTW, thank you for being such a great contributor. You posted many good posts with great info. Much appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I got a response from PA about my concern of the trailer brake and air suspension...

upload_2019-7-8_5-43-40.png

Still not 100% convinced, but at least I have it in writing now in the event this isn't working. In this case I have a valid reason for a return for a full refund for misrepresentation of the product.

I've been an Android fanboy since the very beginning, so I really want this to work and I am not afraid to tinker with things to get them just right. As a matter of fact that is one of the primary reasons I like the idea so much of these units as they have an near limitless amount of customization.

Then over at Rhino this is their input which sounds contradictory to above statement from PA. If the units are all the same then only one of these can be correct...

upload_2019-7-7_13-39-1.png

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I don't have the air suspension but do have the trailer brake module. Yes it was controlled by the OEM radio, the 5.0 or the 8.4 as far as set up and changes go. So far there is no way I can find to make any changes to the trailer brake using this radio. I put my OEM 5.0 radio back in and made the changes I needed (light electric to heavy electric) so I could tow my TT and feel better about it. It has stayed at that setting. My radio is from Phoenix and I have sent them the question and they asked for a video so I made a short You Tube video I sent them the link explaining the issue. That was over a week ago with no response yet. I guess I'll resend it.

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I got a response from PA about my concern of the trailer brake and air suspension...

View attachment 172492

Still not 100% convinced, but at least I have it in writing now in the event this isn't working. In this case I have a valid reason for a return for a full refund for misrepresentation of the product.

I've been an Android fanboy since the very beginning, so I really want this to work and I am not afraid to tinker with things to get them just right. As a matter of fact that is one of the primary reasons I like the idea so much of these units as they have an near limitless amount of customization.

Then over at Rhino this is their input which sounds contradictory to above statement from PA. If the units are all the same then only one of these can be correct...

View attachment 172359
Technically, the units are not the same. The ones sold by Rhino have different hardware (3 buttons) while Phoenix is only selling the 1 button units. The ones with android 7.1.1 and sold by both, Firmwares/ROMs are slight different. I haven't tried a Phoenix firmware on Rhino unit, but I definitely will when I get my replacement this week from Rhino.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I posted a bunch of "Console" pictures with the options starting on page 133.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I posted a bunch of "Console" pictures with the options starting on page 133.

Just checked your images. Doesn't appear to show anything related to the 4 corner suspension or the trailer brake. Will see how PA talks their way out of this one when I get the unit and I cannot change the settings.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I don't have the air suspension but do have the trailer brake module. Yes it was controlled by the OEM radio, the 5.0 or the 8.4 as far as set up and changes go. So far there is no way I can find to make any changes to the trailer brake using this radio. I put my OEM 5.0 radio back in and made the changes I needed (light electric to heavy electric) so I could tow my TT and feel better about it. It has stayed at that setting. My radio is from Phoenix and I have sent them the question and they asked for a video so I made a short You Tube video I sent them the link explaining the issue. That was over a week ago with no response yet. I guess I'll resend it.

Yeah, their responses seem hit or miss. So far I got decent response times from them, but just not convinced that the content of their responses is very 'truthful'.

BTW can we change the settings using AlfaOBD? That would at least be a quicker approach then to swap out to the OEM radio to access those settings?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Wayne,

Wait a minute...

In your video there are the 4 corner suspension settings right here...

The Aero mode is missing, but it could be the first item on the list. So that might be some good news.
upload_2019-7-8_6-47-16.png

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, their responses seem hit or miss. So far I got decent response times from them, but just not convinced that the content of their responses is very 'truthful'.

BTW can we change the settings using AlfaOBD? That would at least be a quicker approach then to swap out to the OEM radio to access those settings?

I know the trailer items in AlphaOBD are just to turn them on or off. They are not the actual settings you get through the OEM radio.

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wayne,

Wait a minute...

In your video there are the 4 corner suspension settings right here...

The Aero mode is missing, but it could be the first item on the list. So that might be some good news.
View attachment 172509

I was just getting ready to send this. I do have the suspension settings though none of them do anything in my truck.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wondered about AlfaOBD to but in slightly different terms. I know that when some items are not equipped certain options will appear in the EVIC.

Maybe you can tell the truck a certain radio is present and/or absent and the needed options will become selectable via the EVIC?

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wondered about AlfaOBD to but in slightly different terms. I know that when some items are not equipped certain options will appear in the EVIC.

Maybe you can tell the truck a certain radio is present and/or absent and the needed options will become selectable via the EVIC?

Great idea. I'll take a look.