The Fattest Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dingalinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, I just put a 6 inch lift on my 14 1500 and I am looking to get some bigger tires and I dont have enough money to afford both rims and tires so I am going to stick with my stock rims for now and just put some bigger tires on them but I am having trouble deciding what tire width I want to put on, ideally I want 12 wides but is it okay to put 12 wides on an 8 wide rim?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tire stores list what will fit, look at a few websites to get some ideas, as in discount tire,tire rack,etc.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hi, I just put a 6 inch lift on my 14 1500 and I am looking to get some bigger tires and I dont have enough money to afford both rims and tires so I am going to stick with my stock rims for now and just put some bigger tires on them but I am having trouble deciding what tire width I want to put on, ideally I want 12 wides but is it okay to put 12 wides on an 8 wide rim?

Whatever tire you like you need to look at the manufacturers specifications. There they will list the recommended minimum, and maximum wheel width for any given tire size.

For most A/T tires in 12.5" wide the manufacturers actually list 8.5" as being the minimum width for your wheel. However, loads of people have installed a 12.5" tire on a 8" wheel with no issues.

It depends on your tire shop. For example. Discount tire can sometimes be a stickler on mounting the tires if your wheel doesnt meet the spec.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

285/60 is a good main sized tire that is priced well. Its a 34x11 when you get into odd sizes to push limits it often pushes your wallet too

OP
OP
Dingalinger

Dingalinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well I know I am going to put 37s on but im just trying to find a good width to do it with

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dingalinger, the problem with going to the big chain tire shops is the company computers will not allow the store to install tires with a minimum width that is greater than your 8.5 rim width. I know I tried with discount, bought my tires there, the manager is old school like most of us and in the past before the nanny computers would install them no problem.

You will need to find a reputable smaller shop that can and will do it.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
well I know I am going to put 37s on but im just trying to find a good width to do it with

Nitto makes a 37x11.5 you can get away with 12.5’s too but may need to run spacers. That would depend on which wheels you have and their back spacing.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My 12.5 x 35's fit well on my stock rims. I have a 4" lift with some rubbing on the front at steering lock.