The fold down back seat myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found a solution that at least worked for me, put a nut and one washer under the rear seat at all 4 bolt locations and now it works like a charm. The height added came out to 3/4" and still plenty comfortable to sit in the backseat, unless you're often hauling your basketball team back there :badidea:.
After spacers and everything still locks and looks fine.
image_zpsf982e573.jpg
Lift the bottom of the seat up a little and boom!image_zps60358914.jpg

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't really want to raise mine, so I followed the write-up I saw here or somewhere else. I simply cut off 5/8" from the metal hooks on back of the seats. In the end, the result is the same, the seat remains at stock height. I'm so glad I did this. I'm installing amp now, and it would be a major pain w/o being able to lay the seat down.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
now yall get those headrests cut down a little so you can see out of the back window!!!!! Outstanding mod

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
That wouldn't work on my split folding rear bench. I had to cut the hooks, and put a 3/4 in spacer in. :(

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Mine is split. I cut off my hooks directly below the plastic piece. Both sides now fold down.

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
doing tis mod tomorrow, also going to start my amp/power converter rack to mount behind.

I removed the outer head rests, see much better now.

OP
OP
CaliDodgeRam

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How far down will the seat lay ?

Till the head rests hit, If you take them off I bet all the way.

It offers enough storage to at least mount an amp on the back wall, so you could probably fit a long skinny tool box back there(road hazard triangles, bungee cords ect)

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled my headrest off so I can see. I was just wondering if it would lay flat enough to lay things on

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't think the rear seat back folds down in the 2013 Quad Cab? I've looked all over and saw no way to release it etc.

OP
OP
CaliDodgeRam

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the rear seat back folds down in the 2013 Quad Cab? I've looked all over and saw no way to release it etc.

You have to add spacers (IE nuts washers ect.) under the seat mount to release the back, when you lift the bottom of your seat up with the spacers mounted it will release the back. Sometimes however you do have to cut part of the hooks off on the back of the seat. I hear thats on the split bench seat but I am unsure

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok interesting. So they didn't intend for the rear to fold down?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found a solution that at least worked for me, put a nut and one washer under the rear seat at all 4 bolt locations and now it works like a charm. The height added came out to 3/4" and still plenty comfortable to sit in the backseat, unless you're often hauling your basketball team back there :badidea:.
After spacers and everything still locks and looks fine.
image_zpsf982e573.jpg
Lift the bottom of the seat up a little and boom!image_zps60358914.jpg

What year is your truck? I want to do this for my 2013 crew cab, but the seat seems to be welded on. I want a little bit more storage and my seat covers don't fit right because I can't get behind the back seats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
I just did this on my '13 CC this weekend. Remove the four bolts holding the seat down then add about 5/8" of spacers (washers, nuts, etc) between the seat base and the floor. Bolt it all down and you're done.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WTF......But......How? I didn't know we could do this. I tried with my 2010, they were not budging.

So what do I do? Just unbolt the seats from the floor add the 3/4" spacers and bolt them back in? How do they latch upright? How do I release them?

Dudes, my mind is blown. EXPLAIN YOURSELVES. This is not possible.

Attachments

• fi25vv.jpg
    fi25vv.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 436