The fold down back seat myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did this on my '13 CC this weekend. Remove the four bolts holding the seat down then add about 5/8" of spacers (washers, nuts, etc) between the seat base and the floor. Bolt it all down and you're done.

Pictures of how you did it would be great! It seems if I raise mine I can't latch the under seat storage compartments (just looking at the seats, I haven't attempted anything yet) I am assuming you have the compartments. I have a SLT (Big Horn) model. Maybe the back seats are different for each 2013 crew cab models.......

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what you are saying is you are not hooking in the seat anymore? your lifting the seat enough so the hooks dont catch?

so you get rear ended and the seat can fold forward on its own... hmm what a good idea about this mod to gain the extra 2" of space?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what you are saying is you are not hooking in the seat anymore? your lifting the seat enough so the hooks dont catch?

so you get rear ended and the seat can fold forward on its own... hmm what a good idea about this mod to gain the extra 2" of space?

I really just want to be able to get behind the back seats to latch the seat covers because they keep slipping off. The bottom of the seat folds up and makes the back of the seat tilt forward but not enough to get my hands around to the latch the covers.

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
I don't have pictures but I'll try to explain better.

Once you remove the four bolts and put the spacers between the floor and seat brackets you're done with the 'mod'. To flip the back portion down you lift up the seat bottom as if you were getting under there. When you lift the bottom it also lifts the rear and lifts the hooks off of the brackets welded into the back of the cab and the seat back can be folded down. To relatch the rear just lift the bottom again and push the back portion against the cab and release the bottom and the back it again secure.

I'll try to get some pictures posted after work today to further clarify.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have pictures but I'll try to explain better.

Once you remove the four bolts and put the spacers between the floor and seat brackets you're done with the 'mod'. To flip the back portion down you lift up the seat bottom as if you were getting under there. When you lift the bottom it also lifts the rear and lifts the hooks off of the brackets welded into the back of the cab and the seat back can be folded down. To relatch the rear just lift the bottom again and push the back portion against the cab and release the bottom and the back it again secure.

I'll try to get some pictures posted after work today to further clarify.

So they actually are still latched then, your just moving them enough to unlatch them to fold it forward.

how much do you have to "lift" it each time to move it forward?

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
Baum that is correct. They are only unlatched for as long as you want them that way. For mine I have to lift the bottom about 45-50 degrees from horizontal to get it unlatched but if you use more spacers I would assume less lift is required.

Here's my spacer setup.
20131112_190123_zps4e947633.jpg

These next two are the hook and loop that secures the seat back.
20131112_190141_zps9640be31.jpg
20131112_190148_zpsd2cb4e51.jpg

You can also take a look at the pictures from the OP and get an idea what the latch looks like along with the seat folded.

Last edited:

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks alot dude. Just need to find the time to do this, see how many tools I can fit behind there.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
You don't need to set a lot of time aside. If you have the spacers, I used nine 7/16" washers per bolt, it should take ten minutes tops. Enjoy!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need to set a lot of time aside. If you have the spacers, I used nine 7/16" washers per bolt, it should take ten minutes tops. Enjoy!

Do you have the under seat storage compartments in the back? If so do they still lock and close with the back seats raised?

I Got a Hemi!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi!
jbr I'm not sure what you are talking about so I'm guessing I don't have that option installed. That would be safe to assume, right?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
jbr I'm not sure what you are talking about so I'm guessing I don't have that option installed. That would be safe to assume, right?

Sorry, I should have attached a picture to explain the backseat storage.

Attachments

• 2013-Ram-1500-back-seat-storage.jpg
    2013-Ram-1500-back-seat-storage.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 6,695
  • 2013-Ram-1500-rear-seat-cubby.jpg
    2013-Ram-1500-rear-seat-cubby.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 6,472
  • 2011_ram_1500-pic-3696879036337853916.jpg
    2011_ram_1500-pic-3696879036337853916.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 745

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
JBR,
The rear storage lids should stay closed until you open them yourself.I leave 1 side of my seats up to put my work bag in my truck when im headed offshore and it stays shut unless i pick up the little ring and manually open the lid!!
Charles

lifeofelove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JBR,
The rear storage lids should stay closed until you open them yourself.I leave 1 side of my seats up to put my work bag in my truck when im headed offshore and it stays shut unless i pick up the little ring and manually open the lid!!
Charles

Did you do the mod to the back seats? If so, did you cut the hooks or did you add the spacers?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done anything yet with the seat. If you cut the hooks you probably lose the ability to latch the seat back into the upright position. Seems unsafe to me.

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
No i haven't done the mod yet..My sons car seat is whats keeping me from doing as that things a pain in the A$$ to install lol..JBR the seat should stay latched when in the upright position..Basically you pull forward on the back of the seat as you raise your seat bottom.At about the halfway point your seat back should unlatch.If you notice when you lift the seat bottom,The seatback raises also till you get the bottom halfway up,After that the seatback actually goes back down till the bottom is locked into place.Hope all that jumble makes sense lol!!
Charles

Swat Rules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 3500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you remove those storage lids I need the extra room it would create between the floor and the seat? Don't know if they are sound barrier or not.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you remove those storage lids I need the extra room it would create between the floor and the seat? Don't know if they are sound barrier or not.

I would assume you can, mine has the storage compartments under the rear seats, but no lids.