The GM Gods are crying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

americanthunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All - Wanted to stop by here and introduce myself. This may get a little long so if you have a short attention span ya may want to just click the back button now :flipthebird:

A little history..everyone in my family all the way to my Great Grandfathers have always driven GM products. Hell even my wifes dad is a hardcore GM guy...Well the family tree just fell over...and a new sapling took its place.

After driving GM trucks since my 1976 Blazer (damn that makes me look old) I recently had a decision to make. I bought a 1/2 ton Chevrolet to do my running around in for my business and my 2012 Duramax had become a garage queen that got out to pull our Heartland North Country Lakeside 29ODK up north for the summer and back down south for the winter so I made the decision to sell the Duramax. Hardest, yet I think the smartest decision of my life.

So now here I am a die hard bowtie kissing ******* in need of a new truck. I knew all along all I really needed was a 1/2 ton truck to pull my trailer for the 1000 or so miles a year that any real towing is done so I trotted off to the Chevrolet Dealership and drove a new 2014 Silverado Crew. After the test drive I looked at my wife and said "That truck aint worth more than I just sold my Duramax for" and proceeded to feel awful about my decision!

On the way out of the Automall as they call them these days I see a Ford lot and figured what that hell. It was uncomfortable but I actually drove one. Didn't like it much at all actually. Im a short guy and those tall bed sides were not going to work. Wifey didn't like it either so we left. Generally I wouldn't even look at a Dodge or RAM as they like to correct you now and as I pulled onto the lot my wifes only response was "what are you doing?" to which I replied "I have no idea". First time we just drove through, I couldn't even stop.

I told you this was long... So I go home and get on the computer again and start reading about RAM and decided to look at some prices. WOW now thats more like it. Told the wife we were going to look at Rams tomorrow and she laughed. Well, the next day we drove up to the nearest Ram store and drove one.

All I can say is WOW. WE were BOTH so impressed with the trucks! Had they had what we wanted sitting there I'm sure that salesman would have made a sale (sorry Jonathon). Needless to say they did not and I was still on the fence about the whole breaking up with GM thing so we left in my Silverado.

That night my wife said something that we must never tell her father. She said "I could drive one of those, why don't we just trade in my car?" At first I thought no effin way am I gonna let my wife have a nicer truck than me! Needless to say, I got on the computer again and a dealership in Phoenix had the exact color and options we wanted at a too good to be true price. Next day we drove up, drove the truck, and they sold us a the brand new Ram you see in my signature for LESS than the advertised price and gave me $2000 more for our trade than I was expecting.

Now my wife has a new truck, and I am jealous...THE END

One Caveat, I didn't really do my homework before buying and I am seriously disappointed with the payload capacity of this truck. So glad we opted NOT to get the Laramie we had our eye on. I am now praying to the Dodge gods that our Trailer won't flatten the truck when we go up North this weekend to take it out into the woods. I'll report back on how she does because if its a struggle then I have to go look at trailers next :naughty:

Seriously, we love the truck and I hope I can learn and contribute to this board as much as I have on the diesel boards over the last 10 years or so!

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard. If your worried about the payload. Try looking at a set of AirLift1000 air bags. They load level my dads 4500lb tractor and trailer hitched upto my truck. With ease at only 15lbs of air in them

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome and congrats on the new truck

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Welcome... :favorites13:

OP
OP
A

americanthunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard. If your worried about the payload. Try looking at a set of AirLift1000 air bags. They load level my dads 4500lb tractor and trailer hitched upto my truck. With ease at only 15lbs of air in them

I probably should have added its got the 4 corner Air Suspenders on it you cant't add air bags to that can ya? Im pretty confident once I get the WD hitch set up in "Jack mode" as I read on here somewhere it will be just fine :waytogo:

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone I'm looking forward to hanging out here more.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably should have added its got the 4 corner Air Suspenders on it you cant't add air bags to that can ya? Im pretty confident once I get the WD hitch set up in "Jack mode" as I read on here somewhere it will be just fine :waytogo:

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone I'm looking forward to hanging out here more.

You should be good to go. That air rode suspension should level itself once your hooked up.

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Welcome to the site.

Tony:head3:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to RamForum!

I really gotta get over my impulse buying of trucks.
I've only once 'slept on it' on buying a truck.

I normally have a good idea of what I want, and find it and buy it.
I hear ya on the high bed sides on the F150, compared to my '13 Ram 2500, the total height is actually lower. I just made the rule: No bed access from the sides.