Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Here are two links to sounds I’m experiencing from my 2013 ram 1500 sport with 5.7 hemi. I am trying to get a better idea what it might be, I’m stuck between lifters or exhaust leak but I had the bolts replaced and gasket about 2 years ago. I’ve been told it was my lifters, but I’ve also been told it might be the exhaust. I have no check engine light on, nor oil light on. Also it doesn’t quiet down like the exhaust manifold tick did before repairing it, but it did get to the point to where no matter warming temp or not it did tick, but this case wasn’t that this just randomly started.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
get an engine stethoscope or use a long screwdriver against the engine block, you'll hear the lifter tapping but not an exhaust leak. I'm putting in the guess that it's a lifter tick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess is exhaust, most lifter ticks have that sewing machine sound and this one sounds a little too clean to be that, mind you this is a guess.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
get an engine stethoscope or use a long screwdriver against the engine block, you'll hear the lifter tapping but not an exhaust leak. I'm putting in the guess that it's a lifter tick.
I’ve tried that, but I can’t really hear a tick, I hear a louder tick if I put it on the exhaust manifold bolts but it sounds like it’s in the front part of that side that sounds loud and I would put the stethoscope and can barely hear any taping

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
9743ACD7-D1F0-4300-A7CA-9B73F3818A73.jpegI would put the stethoscope around this block and even further down I don’t hear any loud tick? But the only time I really tear a tick is on the exhaust manifold bolt in that front part the first 2 studs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When the engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells, grab the corners of the heat shields, and see if they are loose. If so, broken bolts it is.

You can have a bad enough leak that it does not go away when the engine heats up because the exhaust manifolds can warp alot.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds a little to tappy to me to be exhaust but for sure check manifolds.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be a seal/gasket leak and the bolts are frozen. Gonna have to get dirty to find out. If you want to put it off a little, you could try adding 5w30 redline HP and a rp 20-820 filter, if that is lifter tick one thing is for sure, that combo at a minimum will change it if not erase it out right. If it sounds the exact same, really confirms it is bolts. No reason to fix exhaust tick, you aint hurting anything, if you feel like verifying it isnt the lifters w/o taking off the valve cover there ya go.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could be a seal/gasket leak and the bolts are frozen. Gonna have to get dirty to find out. If you want to put it off a little, you could try adding 5w30 redline HP and a rp 20-820 filter, if that is lifter tick one thing is for sure, that combo at a minimum will change it if not erase it out right. If it sounds the exact same, really confirms it is bolts. No reason to fix exhaust tick, you aint hurting anything, if you feel like verifying it isnt the lifters w/o taking off the valve cover there ya go.
Okay thank you! What imma do this weekend imma buy all this stuff and, to be honest rather have a exhaust tick then a lifter.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sound like an exhaust tick, if it was a lifter tick you would hear bearings in a tin can tick.
Okay, also a lifter tick wouldn’t echo thru the exhaust right? I used a stethoscope and put it to the connection to the piping and exhaust manifold I can hear it, and also further down the pipe I can hear a tick. Just asking cause one guy told me something a lifter sound can transit thru the metals.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's crazy how much the two sounds are alike.
This is mine, after headers installed. This is confirmed lifter tick, I had a failed lifter in cyl 3.
Lifter tick

Just for comparison, this is start up before the headers, it had no less than five broken manifold bolts!
Exhaust tick

hopefully yours is just an exhaust leak, tbh it sounds like lifter, so I'm wishing you the best.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is mine, after headers installed. This is confirmed lifter tick, I had a failed lifter in cyl 3.
Lifter tick

Just for comparison, this is start up before the headers, it had no less than five broken manifold bolts!
Exhaust tick

hopefully yours is just an exhaust leak, tbh it sounds like lifter, so I'm wishing you the best
Lifter tick

Exhaust tick

hopefully yours is just an exhaust leak, tbh it sounds like lifter, so I'm wishing you the best.
I was using a stethoscope today and tried listening for it, it’s loudest point is on the manifold, or it’s bolts I also can hear the tick half way thru the exhaust as well when apply the stethoscope. Now I did try moving the heat shield I have no lose studs at least what it concerns me, but I’m trying one idea of using 5w30 royal purple oil and filter see if the tick quiets or stops if nonthing happens I’m replacing the manifold/gasket and maybe bolts see if anything changes, process of elimination.

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an exhaust manifold to me. I just had one of mine replaced because it was cracked. Sounded just like the video you have. I had it to several dealers over the course of 8+ months for what I thought was a manifold issue (sound wasn’t as loud), but they said it was fine. Took it actually cracking and sounding like that for me to go to another dealer and they found it. They said it was probably a slight crack/leak before and after driving it for so long, it got worse. That explains the gas mileage loss.

2019 Ram Bighorn

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like was mentioned above, if you don't mind getting dirty, ... get in and around the exhaust manifold with a strong flashlight and an inspection mirror. You can almost always see black traces of exhaust where the leak is occurring (if it's leaking). You may need to remove the front tire and look through the frame and inner fender well.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it is for sure a broken bolt.i have had this problem 4 times.i promise thats the sound
My heat shield “studs” have no play and on secure that’s what worries me. Typically the studs break.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Like was mentioned above, if you don't mind getting dirty, ... get in and around the exhaust manifold with a strong flashlight and an inspection mirror. You can almost always see black traces of exhaust where the leak is occurring (if it's leaking). You may need to remove the front tire and look through the frame and inner fender well.
At the moment in adding thicker oil like suggested 5w 30 royal purple, and filter the filter doesn’t come in till tomorrow so I’m going to see if the tick changes in volume/goes away. If no notice of ticking I’m going to be removing the manifold and inspecting for warped/cracks/ gasket.