The name is Zach!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwik10z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys,

The name is Zach. I currently do not own a Ram but I am really close to purchasing a 2002 1500 ST from a co-worker. The reason of my registration on the site is to learn about some of the known problems the truck has.

The most critical problem that I am worried about is the front wheel bearings are claimed to be "loose". This statement is coming from Grismer tire when they did an inspection after a brake job.

I have priced new hub assemblies, but what I don't understand is how does a wheel bearing become "loose"?

I also did a search on the forums about wheel bearing issues, and found a few threads that warranted reading, but nothing in terms of a DIY on changing the hub. Easy to do? Pain in the butt? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Love the site here, hoping to get this truck and become a valued member!!

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
A bearing is a bearing. Over time and use they wear out, just like any other part. To see how loose they are just jack the wheel up and grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. The more wiggle the worse off it is. I can't tell you if its a bolt in hub or pressed in but either way they can be a pain to remove depending on how much rust or build up there is around it.