The Perfect BLACK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am picking up my new 2014 black 1500 tomorrow. I told the dealer not to touch it but I found out that today they power washed it and dried it so already, she's got swirl marks. What is the best way to remove the swirl marks and protect the clear coat from future swirl marks so I can maintain some black glass????

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check autopia and autogeek for information about professional products, their use, where to buy them and what the expected results will be. There are reasons that these products are used by professionals. You will hear alot about Adams products on this site---keep in mind they sponsor this section.
Jay

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like said, it's only a matter of time before you hear Adam's a hundred times. (And before somebody says it, no I'm not saying Adam's has bad stuff)
Check out the sites Pull Ya recommended and do some reading before making a decision. There's a bunch of different products out there.
Trust me, you will be overwhelmed at first. Just keep at it and you'll start to take it all in and understand.

OP
OP
G

GinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks much guys. I used to be big into detailing my cars but fell out of it for the past 7-8 years. I used all products from Maguires to Zymol and everything in between. I never really had a black car and I know it shows everything but when done right, looks amazing! I have a feeling i will go back to my all time favorite of Zymol but wanted people to chime in to see if something new and better is out there. In the day I would spend 10-12 hours detailing my silver car I can only imagine what it would take on a ********* 1500 crew cab! ;)

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
If you want to truly remove them, it will take some polishing, and with black, machine polishing specifically. Working by hand to remove defects just isn't feasible, it's all a game of numbers regarding how quickly and efficiently a machine can move vs. the human body.

We have a series of videos that detail (pun intended ;)) all aspects of machine polishing at the bottom of this page:

Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher | Orbital Polisher

Keeping them from coming back is a entirely different animal, and again, black is the toughest to maintain! Getting a good 2-bucket wash setup with high quality material will ensure that you won't be inflicting unnecessary damage into your clear coat.

Another video here:

2 Bucket Wash Video | Vehicle Detailing | Car Care

Check those out and let me know if you have any questions!

OP
OP
G

GinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Nick. I've kind of figured I will need a machine. Although the truck is brand new, the dealership washed it and there are light swirl marks already which drives me nuts!

Jak259

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Same happened to my black '14. I will be doing the same thing soon. I just recieved my first order of adams products and love everything so far. I'm gonna try their paint correcting system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wolfgang swirl remover followed up by finishing glaze or Menzerna 2500. I detailed this RAM last weekend, RAM has some hard paint, I speak from having done two so far. Each used a cyan lake country hydrotech pad, I started with tangerine but got no where. I also did a 2012 Jeep GC with 100k on it, same setup. Here are some pics:
Forgot to mentioin, if you like Megs products, try Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, both available at your big box stores.
Customers RAM:
CAM00711.jpg

My RAM
truck.jpg

JeepGC
CAM00703.jpg

CAM00706.jpg