Thermal bypass valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Everything lines up, but the threads don’t match.

The cooler lines on the truck don’t have any clips, they just thread into the block.

View attachment 191546

View attachment 191547

View attachment 191548

I took that block out of my old 13 years ago,and just cut the nuts off and used transmission cooler line to tie them back together and a couple small hose clamps on each line.If you have access to a bubble flare tool you can put a small bubble flare in them,i didn't so I just very slightly flared the ends with a normal flaring tool.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The fittings on the truck are too small for the ATS....I'm gonna try and rig something between the lines. Thanks for trying to help me out, I appreciate it.

I took that block out of my old 13 years ago,and just cut the nuts off and used transmission cooler line to tie them back together and a couple small hose clamps on each line.If you have access to a bubble flare tool you can put a small bubble flare in them,i didn't so I just very slightly flared the ends with a normal flaring tool.

What Wild one says is exactly what I would do next. Remove the fittings, flat the ends a little bit and get some transmission hose and run lines with clamps. Then check for leaks.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Main difference is he has a 5.7 in a 2500
The 1500’s have the block by the radiator. That’s probably why he has it there.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
JMO,

I do not want hose clamps holding my lines on. Id go to a trans shop and pay for the proper flange ends so you can splice in a pc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
JMO,

I do not want hose clamps holding my lines on. Id go to a trans shop and pay for the proper flange ends so you can splice in a pc.

Probably been well over a million tranny coolers installed using clamped on hoses over the original hard lines,the majority probably with-out even a small flare pushed into the line,lol. Finding somebody local to you,to make up that short of offset line with the correct metric ends isn't going to be all that easy,2 of the lines are offset from each other,so you'd also need an offset bent into a very short hard line,rubber tranny line will absorb the offset easily.Tranny cooler line clamped over a small flare isn't going anywhere.

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hy guys I'm a little bit lost.
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 with the 6 speed 65RFE and there is no BPV on it. The tubing is badly rusted and I have to change it but I've got the choice between two parts:

The jumper tube without BPV (125$) ref 52014546AA
The jumper tube with BPV (280$) ref 52014830AA

If I understood there is no need to add a BPV if you didn't have one before... because the BPV can cause a lot of problems.
The BPV block the flow to the cooler until the oil is hot enough and then open to allow the oil to flow in the cooler so if you don't have a BPV the trans oil flows directly in the cooler from the beginning...it must be better because your oil is colder. Am I right ?

With the cheaper one (without the BPV) I normally will save my money and my trans.

What do you think about that ?

dauer53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Quick question.... I ordered the ATS and boogered one of the threads, anybody know what size tap I would need to fix it?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Quick question.... I ordered the ATS and boogered one of the threads, anybody know what size tap I would need to fix it?

No clue, might have to go to Fastenal if you have one, and see if they can match the threads

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

dauer53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the response! I ended up emailing ATS and the correct size is a M20-1.5. Just thought I’d share the info incase anybody makes the same mistake. My line isolator on my 2016 6.4 didn’t allow for as much play as some of the install videos I watched on YouTube. When I had to put the thermal valve back in I made sure to hand start the nuts a few threads and then the push to connects and then snug the nuts up.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
i stumbled across this thermal bypass valve for the transmission for our HD trucks. I’ve read it keeps the tranny fluid cooler, making the tranny last longer. Is it true? Is this worth it? Any cons to this? I do tow 7k lbs a few times a month and never seen my temps above 172. If adding this will take preventive measures, Why not right? $100 to extended the transmission’s life, cheap insurance.

Here’s one I found but says it’s for the Cummins, 68rfe. Will this work for on the 66rfe? Can’t find one specifically for the 66rfe.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/ats-31...EgMUJHu-pLYTN5TX_coi8TkfS_7ruRqsaAuP7EALw_wcB
So,here we go,i ordered the upgrade p/nATS 3100052392 by calling XDP looking on their web site its silver in color which is good for those of us who have an extended warranty as it wont stick out like a sore thumb if a tech at the dealership happens to be working on our trucks.But noooooooooooo what i get is a variant of what is advertised on XPD`s website a bronze colored one that if you use it more than likely boom goes your warranty on said tranny.I spopke with Justin at XDP today about this issue and he remarked that he wasnt aware that the item had changed coming from the manufacturer and that he would adjust his site to the new item,as i am waiting for a R/A for return.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So,here we go,i ordered the upgrade p/nATS 3100052392 by calling XDP looking on their web site its silver in color which is good for those of us who have an extended warranty as it wont stick out like a sore thumb if a tech at the dealership happens to be working on our trucks.But noooooooooooo what i get is a variant of what is advertised on XPD`s website a bronze colored one that if you use it more than likely boom goes your warranty on said tranny.I spopke with Justin at XDP today about this issue and he remarked that he wasnt aware that the item had changed coming from the manufacturer and that he would adjust his site to the new item,as i am waiting for a R/A for return.

How could this affect your warranty? The dealer would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the block with open holes cause your Trans to fail, and if you install it correctly you will never have that issue

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How could this affect your warranty? The dealer would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the block with open holes cause your Trans to fail, and if you install it correctly you will never have that issue

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

not to mention it may prevent an otherwise failure in the first place.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
From a past experience had to go to dealership for servicing tranny,for some reason unknown to me the tech made a entry on the work order that i modified my exhaust and they cancelled the exhaust part of my warranty.All i did was go cat back,but now if the cats or manifolds have a failure im beat .When i questioned the service manager why this happened he offered no reason and left it at that.So thats why this valve would or could cause the same response,by the way after posting this on this site xtreme diesel updated the their site with the newer version (coated) bronze thus putting my post as b/s of which it was not

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
From a past experience had to go to dealership for servicing tranny,for some reason unknown to me the tech made a entry on the work order that i modified my exhaust and they cancelled the exhaust part of my warranty.All i did was go cat back,but now if the cats or manifolds have a failure im beat .When i questioned the service manager why this happened he offered no reason and left it at that.So thats why this valve would or could cause the same response,by the way after posting this on this site xtreme diesel updated the their site with the newer version (coated) bronze thus putting my post as b/s of which it was not
I called ATS today to discuss why they changed or modified their valve and was told it had to to with the material used to make them were subject to corrosion issues thus the need to coat them.I would think that in the states that use road clearing products for snow and ice are prone to corrosion of these vaves. I couldnt get a straight answer as to what their valves are made of the mention of some portion being steel alloy

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I’d have told them to get their lawyer. But each their own.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40